ARM binary code translator
Dels
2012-06-13 02:48:01 UTC
Hi there,

As you may know that Buildroid team already port Intel Medfield ARM
binary code translator into their ICS build

http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=175

Is it possible to port this library from this build into android-x86
ISO?
Marek Vasut
2012-06-13 20:33:29 UTC
Dear Dels,
Post by Dels
Hi there,
As you may know that Buildroid team already port Intel Medfield ARM
binary code translator into their ICS build
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=175
Very good catch. Looks like they run patched dalvik, so we'd have to wait for
patches. And those might never see the light of day, since it's all BSD
licensed. Shitty android, here it all comes.
Post by Dels
Is it possible to port this library from this build into android-x86
ISO?
Best regards,
Marek Vasut
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-14 04:15:58 UTC
Post by Dels
Hi there,
As you may know that Buildroid team already port Intel Medfield ARM
binary code translator into their ICS build
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=175
Is it possible to port this library from this build into android-x86
ISO?
Intel never release the source or patches of
its binary translator to public.
(correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't understand how Buildroid could do the "porting".

Besides, I think none of our developers have got
a medfield-powered smartphone.
(I've asked some friends in Intel Taiwan.
They said the phone is not available to Taiwan market)
If someone is going to donate the Intel phones to us,
I'm happy to try.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Dels
2012-06-14 04:35:21 UTC
I extracted libvm, libhoudini and arm library from Buildroid:
http://jumbofiles.com/6n9i5zznj1xw/houdini.zip.html

Next, i will tried injecting into eeepc ISO and test (i know it maybe
gives error or else non bootable system)
Marek Vasut
2012-06-14 11:01:27 UTC
Dear Dels,
Post by Dels
http://jumbofiles.com/6n9i5zznj1xw/houdini.zip.html
So basically if I compiled libdvm with other optimizations than what's enabled
on the medfield phone, I'm pooped. But then, it indicates that intel added some
changes only to dalvik (libdvm) and added some other library that has the BT in
it, right?
Marek Vasut
Marek Vasut
2012-06-14 22:25:19 UTC
Dear Morten Sjøgren,
Dan commented on June 14, 2012 at 9:20
pm<http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=175#comment-1763>
*"*Hi,
I’ll try to write a post on how patching the android source code to support
the libhoudini. This will enable android-x86 users to have ARM emulation.
Expect it in 1 or 2 days."
Good to hear. Thanks for tracking the comments and updating us ;-)
Looking forward to his post on it.
Dels
TheARC77
Ollie
2012-06-15 13:46:37 UTC
Sounds very exciting news. Has anyone compiled this on a tega/viewpad build?
Tim Kowalsky
2012-06-15 14:52:35 UTC
This is very exciting. On his blog, Dan also states he recovered an x86
Daniel Fages
2012-06-18 16:30:53 UTC
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198

Enjoy
Dan.
Post by Tim Kowalsky
This is very exciting. On his blog, Dan also states he recovered an x86
Flash library from the Medfield phone.
TheARC77
Rui Carmo
2012-06-18 18:22:04 UTC
Daniel Fages
2012-06-18 18:30:12 UTC
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...

Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make a nice try!! :D
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/**blog/?p=198<http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198>
Enjoy
Dan.
.
Marek Vasut
2012-06-18 23:37:52 UTC
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make a nice try!! :D
Hi all,
Post by Tim Kowalsky
This is very exciting. On his blog, Dan also states he recovered an
x86 Flash library from the Medfield phone.
en> .
Best regards,
Marek Vasut
Daniel Fages
2012-06-19 05:36:49 UTC
I agree that's a main concern.
Unfortunately I don't really know the license.
When I use the Intel phone, there's no special "license popup" which asks
me to accept some special license (contrary to what we see when using
Google Apps).
I'll have to check the physical documents that came with the device to see
if there's any mention of this.
If there's nothing, I don't know what we can conclude - would it mean we
can freely use the binaries ?
Is there a lawyer in the room ? :-)

Dan.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make a
nice try!! :D
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
http://www.buildroid.org/**blog/?p=198<
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
=198>
Enjoy
Dan.
Post by Tim Kowalsky
This is very exciting. On his blog, Dan also states he recovered an
x86 Flash library from the Medfield phone.
Groups "Android-x86" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/**
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
msg/android-x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ<
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ> **.
visit
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
this group at http://groups.google.com/**
group/android-x86?hl=en<
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
en> .
For more options, visit this group at
Marek Vasut
2012-06-19 11:03:56 UTC
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi,
I agree that's a main concern.
Unfortunately I don't really know the license.
When I use the Intel phone, there's no special "license popup" which asks
me to accept some special license (contrary to what we see when using
Google Apps).
I'll have to check the physical documents that came with the device to see
if there's any mention of this.
If there's nothing, I don't know what we can conclude - would it mean we
can freely use the binaries ?
We can not. I'll ask at intel eventually (if I won't forget), but I don't expect
much.
Post by Daniel Fages
Is there a lawyer in the room ? :-)
Dan.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make
a nice try!! :D
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
http://www.buildroid.org/**blog/?p=198<
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
=198>
Enjoy
Dan.
Post by Tim Kowalsky
This is very exciting. On his blog, Dan also states he recovered
an x86 Flash library from the Medfield phone.
Groups "Android-x86" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/**
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
msg/android-x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ<
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ> **.
visit
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
dscm
2012-06-25 17:32:30 UTC
License FWIW:

from Intel Evaluation License Agreement:

THE EVALUATION MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY AND
MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED BY RECIPIENT OR INCORPORATED INTO RECIPIENT’S
PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE. PLEASE CONTACT AN INTEL SALES REPRESENTATIVE TO
LEARN ABOUT THE AVAILABILITY AND COST OF A COMMERICAL VERSION OF THE
EVALUATION SOFTWARE.

from here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-eula-x86-android-2/
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi,
I agree that's a main concern.
Unfortunately I don't really know the license.
When I use the Intel phone, there's no special "license popup" which asks
me to accept some special license (contrary to what we see when using
Google Apps).
I'll have to check the physical documents that came with the device to see
if there's any mention of this.
If there's nothing, I don't know what we can conclude - would it mean we
can freely use the binaries ?
We can not. I'll ask at intel eventually (if I won't forget), but I don't expect
much.
Post by Daniel Fages
Is there a lawyer in the room ? :-)
Dan.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make
a nice try!! :D
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
http://www.buildroid.org/**blog/?p=198<
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
=198>
Enjoy
Dan.
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
msg/android-x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ<
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ> **.
visit
Post by Daniel Fages
Gernot Hillier
2012-06-20 08:48:50 UTC
Hi there!
Post by Daniel Fages
I agree that's a main concern.
Unfortunately I don't really know the license.
When I use the Intel phone, there's no special "license popup" which
asks me to accept some special license (contrary to what we see when
using Google Apps).
I'll have to check the physical documents that came with the device to
see if there's any mention of this.
If there's nothing, I don't know what we can conclude - would it mean we
can freely use the binaries ?
Is there a lawyer in the room ? :-)
I'm no layer, but as far as I know, in most contries, you're not allowed
to use not speaking of distribute any copyrighted work if you have no
license contract. So if you don't find anything, you're not allowed to
do anything with it...
Gernot
Daniel Fages
2012-06-19 05:49:36 UTC
I agree that's a main concern.
Unfortunately I don't really know the license.
When I use the Intel phone, there's no special "license popup" which asks
me to accept some special license (contrary to what we see when using
Google Apps).
I'll have to check the physical documents that came with the device to see
if there's any mention of this.
If there's nothing, I don't know what we can conclude - would it mean we
can freely use the binaries ?
Is there a lawyer in the room ? :-)

Dan.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make a
nice try!! :D
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
http://www.buildroid.org/**blog/?p=198<
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
=198>
Enjoy
Dan.
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
msg/android-x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ<
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Tim Kowalsky
x86/-/nDEYZ9ZhpLIJ> **.
visit
Post by Daniel Fages
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Daniel Fages
dscm
2012-06-25 17:38:20 UTC
License FWIW:

from Intel Evaluation License Agreement:

THE EVALUATION MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY AND
MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED BY RECIPIENT OR INCORPORATED INTO RECIPIENT’S
PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE. PLEASE CONTACT AN INTEL SALES REPRESENTATIVE TO
LEARN ABOUT THE AVAILABILITY AND COST OF A COMMERICAL VERSION OF THE
EVALUATION SOFTWARE.

from here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-eula-x86-android-2/

though section 10.8 may cover all but the libhoudini...???
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
No, no source code available, at least I didn't find it...
No source, but what's the license? That's more of a concern ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Dan.
Post by Rui Carmo
This is very nice, but can we distribute the Intel binary? Can it be
rebuilt from source somehow?
Otherwise it's just a nice (temporary) hack that may break soon.
R.
OMG! Well time to a x86 build with this patchs/libs, pls someone make a
nice try!! :D
Hi all,
Holger Schurig
2012-06-26 06:30:40 UTC
Post by dscm
THE EVALUATION MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY AND
MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED BY RECIPIENT OR INCORPORATED INTO RECIPIENT’S
PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE. PLEASE CONTACT AN INTEL SALES REPRESENTATIVE TO
LEARN ABOUT THE AVAILABILITY AND COST OF A COMMERICAL VERSION OF THE
EVALUATION SOFTWARE.
The GPL doesn't know a "evaluation version". If you distribute binaries of
GPLed programs, you have to submit the source as well. Period.

QEMU itself is mostly GPLv2. Just libqemu.a is LGPL. So, if they used
libqemu.a unchanged, then they can re-license the result under something
different. But if they made changes to libqemu.a (the the source codes
leading to libqemu.a), then they have to re-distribute that source code ...
and non one can hinder you on using that.

If they don't comply, they risk of revoking their own license grant and
might not be able to use QEMU any longer.

Please note that this doesn't hold for BSDish licensed software.
Thofen86
Dels
2012-06-27 02:46:54 UTC
Likely Intel use another approach to modify .so file(s) on runtime
directly without recompiling, similar attempt already done for MIPS
based processor on XDA Developer forum
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1411879

If that is true, then thats why some application will run smoothly and
full speed while some would lag as hell :D
Marek Vasut
2012-06-18 18:37:13 UTC
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198
Patch doesn't apply ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Enjoy
Dan.
Marek Vasut
Daniel Fages
2012-06-18 18:50:10 UTC
Oops, here's the good one :
http://www.buildroid.org/Download/patch_houdini_ics_20120618_v2

Dan.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Daniel Fages,
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198
Patch doesn't apply ...
Post by Daniel Fages
Enjoy
Dan.
Ollie
2012-06-19 16:10:33 UTC
Has anyone tried this using the android-x86 ics-x86 branch? Would love to
see it in a Tega v2 build but have no idea how to follow those
instructions. Don't really have the processing power either.
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-20 04:00:52 UTC
Post by Ollie
Has anyone tried this using the android-x86 ics-x86 branch? Would love to
see it in a Tega v2 build but have no idea how to follow those instructions.
Don't really have the processing power either.
Yes. I tried on tegav2. It works well.
I've succeeded to run angry birds (all variants)
and osmos demo from the Google Play.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Rinaldo Jonathan
2012-06-20 08:31:13 UTC
what? angry birds on android-x86?
tell me if i dont read it wrong .... or someone can punch me in the face to
make sure if i not dreaming? :D

FINALLY!!!
i just need to buy x86 machine with touch screen and run android-x86 inside
it, and im done!!
Stefan
2012-06-22 06:01:32 UTC
Salam Rinaldo,

if your only target is to get Angry Birds running on X86, that is an
easy job. Just take any Windows box and download the Windows version of
Angry Birds and install... Download adresses via Google.

:D *scnr*

Stefan
Ollie
2012-06-20 13:26:21 UTC
Very exciting news! I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you able to
share the build? Or will it be incorporated in the Android-x86 source in
the future?

Thanks for the test report anyway.
Rinaldo Jonathan
Marek Vasut
2012-06-20 14:32:45 UTC
Dear Rinaldo Jonathan,
Post by Rinaldo Jonathan
yeah, and for virtualbox / vmware too :D
i will love it :D
When it's ready ... every time you ask such stupid question and don't help, the
release gets delayed. Since we have to type these stupid reply emails if nothing
else.
Marek Vasut
Dels
Dels
2012-08-28 09:08:33 UTC
Sender: android-x86-/***@public.gmane.org

I have a news for all,

According to Modaco forum user (Orange San Diego user), this phone
will receive ICS update in September and most likely will come with
updated houdini library.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/356909-ics-date/

Regards,
Dels
Jiancong Xie
2014-07-10 07:59:22 UTC
Temple Run can run on my build now.

圚 2012幎7月16日星期䞀UTC+8䞋午5时16分28秒Ron M写道
I think armeabi-v7a is not supported, or at least not fully supported,
regardless of what you put in ro.product.cpu.abi[2].
Did anyone manage to run Fruit Ninja or Temple Run on their build? Both
crash.
(all) Angry birds do work fine however when GPU is working.
@Daniel Fages
A bit unrelated, but did you manage to run Angry Birds in one of your
VirtualBox/VmWare build? I just want to make sure it is a GPU accelration
topic and not related to the emulation in any way.
Hi all I using Android-x86 test build
(android-x86-4.0-asus_laptop-20120710.iso) from tabletsx86.org
First all, thanks for that work from Android-x86 team and Tabletsx86!
I have a Dell XPS15 L502x, isos for asus_laptop works nice here, but not
detects all my 6GB of RAM (only 1GB) dont know how
build.prop using armeabi-v7a and armeabi
With that titanium backup all near all apps who needs root access dont
works, I think is because that apps detects x86 or arm boards...
If using x86, armeabi and then armeabi-v7a on build.prop (ro....cpu cpu2
and cpu3) .. that way all apps works, and Google Store show arm apps too...
Hey Anunakin can you explain a bit more your method please?, so you are
ro.product.cpu.abi1=x86
ro.product.cpu2.abi1=armeabi
ro.product.cpu3.abi1=armeabi-v7a
In that way works????? (Amazing) :O
Did you try? (this method is used in the leaked orange san diego ICS
ro.product.cpu.abi1=x86
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.upgradeabi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi1=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi-v7a
This methods also works for me, in any case I did lot of tests in armv7
mode and all the armv7 apps dont works at the moment, I did some tests
using armv6 apps and nothing not results.
We will must to wait some San diego ICS dump but funtional one.
Cheers
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-20 04:14:56 UTC
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198
The LD_PRELOAD seems to cause some problem
in debug mode. Some commands just got
segmentation fault.

Is there a way to avoid that?
For example, only export LD_PRELOAD for
dalvik processes?
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Marek Vasut
2012-06-20 08:45:57 UTC
Dear Chih-Wei Huang,
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198
The LD_PRELOAD seems to cause some problem
in debug mode. Some commands just got
segmentation fault.
Is there a way to avoid that?
For example, only export LD_PRELOAD for
dalvik processes?
Well ... if you checked what the preloaded library is for, I believe it should
be possible to implement that fake function directly in dalvik. It actually was
attempted even, check the source.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut
prober
2012-06-20 10:06:03 UTC
I'd just like to confirm that libhoudini is also working on a WeTab/EXOpc
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-21 04:08:09 UTC
However, it seems we cannot support both
armeabi and armeabi-v7a abis.
Settings TARGET_CPU_ABI2 to armeabi,
we are unable to support armeabi-v7a only app
like Temple Run.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imangi.templerun

Is there a solution?

(fortunately most apps containing native code
support both)
Post by prober
I'd just like to confirm that libhoudini is also working on a WeTab/EXOpc
Atom N450 tablet with Android 4.0.4. Runs fast and fine ;-)
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Suman Saraf

Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-21 08:08:08 UTC
Post by Suman Saraf
Chih-Wei,
As far as I know, the Intel translator can currently only translate ARM v5.
Does it?

I've tried to set abi2 to armeabi-v7a and
install angry birds. I've checked armeabi-v7a .so
are installed and it plays normal.
So I think it supports armeabi-v7a.
Post by Suman Saraf
The bluestacks binary translator can do both v5 and v7.
Cool! Could we integrate it into our isos?

And how did it set abi2?
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Rui Carmo
2012-06-21 10:16:24 UTC
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Cool! Could we integrate it into our isos?
Doing a few searches, it seems that they want to turn their binary translator into a business.

You can get a feel for it here: https://getsatisfaction.com/bstk

I'm wondering if QEMU might help here somehow (not sure about whether you'd need to do all the ABI bits and just hand ARM code over to it...)

R.
Marek Vasut
2012-06-21 15:43:52 UTC
Dear Rui Carmo,
Post by Rui Carmo
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Cool! Could we integrate it into our isos?
Doing a few searches, it seems that they want to turn their binary
translator into a business.
You can get a feel for it here: https://getsatisfaction.com/bstk
I'm wondering if QEMU might help here somehow (not sure about whether you'd
need to do all the ABI bits and just hand ARM code over to it...)
well the application is either evaluating it's own functions or functions from
android ... so bridging it via qemu might be possible, but non-trivial
Post by Rui Carmo
R.
Best regards,
Marek Vasut
Dels
2012-06-22 04:02:59 UTC
Some detail regarding binary translator:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/3
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/creating-and-porting-ndk-based-android-apps-for-ia/

And since Lava Xolo X900 use gingerbread 2.3.7, is it possible that
libhoudini actually included on Intel Android* 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) x86
Emulator Image?
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/android-237-gingerbread-x86-emulator-image-add-on/
Chih-Wei Huang
Why don't you check yourself and tell us the result?
Thofen86
2012-06-22 00:45:05 UTC
Suman,

"Bluestacks binary translator" uses a modified version of QEMU which
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?

Thomas
Marek Vasut
2012-06-22 11:24:38 UTC
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Thofen86
Suman,
"Bluestacks binary translator" uses a modified version of QEMU which
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Marek Vasut
Thofen86
2012-06-25 08:12:41 UTC
I sent an email asking Bluestacks for the ARM binary translator source code
three days ago. Still waiting for a response.

If you install Bluestacks (beta or the production version in Asus Vibe),
using adb, you can easily extract a file /system/bin/arm-runtime. This is
the key file which Bluestacks uses to run ARM apps. Perform a binary
analysis, and you will see it is in fact Qemu. In newer version of its
beta, the process name of arm-runtime is changed to zygote_arm. So
discovering this fact becomes a little harder.
From a news link,
http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57404865-12/latest-bluestacks-arms-your-pc/,
the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Thofen86
Suman,
"Bluestacks binary translator" uses a modified version of QEMU which
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Dels
2012-06-25 08:35:12 UTC
Likely Daniel Fages already discovered the qemu stuff:
http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=12

"One of my interests in Android is to run it on x86 platform,
especially in virtual environments. From the beginning (?), Android
comes with qemu support to run Android ARM-code on x86 platform but as
you can expect, the performance is very poor… A good surprise came
with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) : there is now a target in AOSP
to build Android for VirtualBox"

Surely you can ask him :D
From a news link,http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57404865-12/latest-bluestacks-ar...,
the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Thofen86
Suman,
    "Bluestacks binary translator" uses a modified version of QEMU which
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Daniel Fages
2012-06-25 08:36:48 UTC
my post might be not very clear on that : I was only speaking of the qemu
emulator coming with the SDK...

Dan.
Post by Thofen86
three days ago. Still waiting for a response.
If you install Bluestacks (beta or the production version in Asus Vibe),
using adb, you can easily extract a file /system/bin/arm-runtime. This is
the key file which Bluestacks uses to run ARM apps. Perform a binary
analysis, and you will see it is in fact Qemu. In newer version of its
beta, the process name of arm-runtime is changed to zygote_arm. So
discovering this fact becomes a little harder.
From a news link,
Post by Thofen86
the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Thofen86
Post by Marek Vasut
Post by Thofen86
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Post by Thofen86
Post by Marek Vasut
Rui Carmo
2012-06-25 08:38:36 UTC
The Android SDK ships with QEMU as part of the Android emulator. That's what he was talking about.
From a news link,http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57404865-12/latest-bluestacks-ar...,
the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Thofen86
Suman,
"Bluestacks binary translator" uses a modified version of QEMU which
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Thofen86
2012-06-25 17:14:24 UTC
The QEMU implementation in Android SDK is QEMU full system emulation. QEMU
runs whole Android ARM-based OS. Hence it is slow.
The QEMU implementation in Bluestacks (and maybe Intel?) is QEMU user mode
emulation. QEMU user mode is ported as separate processes running INSIDE
Android x86-based OS. It should have better performance.

These two implementations are different. Both are from QEMU open source
with GPL license.
Post by Dels
Post by Thofen86
the key file which Bluestacks uses to run ARM apps. Perform a binary
analysis, and you will see it is in fact Qemu. In newer version of its
beta, the process name of arm-runtime is changed to zygote_arm. So
discovering this fact becomes a little harder.
From a news link,
Post by Dels
Post by Thofen86
the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Dels
Post by Thofen86
Post by Marek Vasut
Post by Thofen86
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Huihong Luo
2015-04-06 14:46:39 UTC
I sent an email to BlueStacks asking the open source code of QEMU User, still no one cared to respond in a week now. Sent a few emails over last week, no one responded. Very bad attitude towards open source licenses.
From a news link, http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57404865-12/latest-bluestacks-arms-your-pc/, the company called this LayerCake, without mentioning Qemu. Go figure.
Jiancong Xie
2014-07-10 07:56:32 UTC
Hi Thomas,

I have highly interested in porting qemu-user mode to android x86. Could
you give me a copy of this? I think this can be an effective way for AMD
users.

Best Regards,
Jiancong

圚 2012幎7月17日星期二UTC+8䞊午5时47分02秒Thofen86写道
In the CD-ROM, there are no specific licensing statements, except those
standard ones found in qemu code base. For example, in the main.c, it says,
"
/*
* qemu user main
*
* Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
*
* along with this program; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
*/
"
and the licensing says.............????????????????
Here is the result.
I emailed Bluestacks, stated the fact and requested the source code of
their qemu based ARM binary translator. The company asked my mailing
address, which then I provided. A few days later I received a CD
containing the ARM binary translator source code from Bluestacks. It's
qemu-user based.
Thomas
Post by Marek Vasut
Dear Thofen86,
Post by Marek Vasut
Post by Thofen86
uses GPL license. Where can I download its source code?
Don't ask here, ask them. And let us know the result
Post by Thofen86
Thomas
Post by Suman Saraf
Chih-Wei,
As far as I know, the Intel translator can currently only
translate
Post by Marek Vasut
ARM
Post by Marek Vasut
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-26 10:36:59 UTC
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Daniel Fages
Hi all,
instructions posted here : http://www.buildroid.org/blog/?p=198
The LD_PRELOAD seems to cause some problem
in debug mode. Some commands just got
segmentation fault.
Is there a way to avoid that?
For example, only export LD_PRELOAD for
dalvik processes?
I've found a way to avoid LD_PRELOAD.
(and libnativehelper_GBfake.so)
Now the solution looks promising. :)
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Holger Pandel
Chih-Wei Huang
2012-06-27 07:08:14 UTC
Post by Holger Pandel
Sounds very promising! I'm absolutely curious about how you solved that....
It's already in our git repository.
Post by Holger Pandel
Daniel Fages
2012-06-27 07:36:45 UTC
Congrats Chih-Wei,
much more elegant way than my "fake library".
Here's the patch for the curious :

diff --git a/libnativehelper/Register.cpp b/libnativehelper/Register.cpp
index b6b1b1f..18b53f1 100644
--- a/libnativehelper/Register.cpp
+++ b/libnativehelper/Register.cpp
@@ -22,7 +22,7 @@ extern int registerJniHelp(JNIEnv* env);
/*
* Register all methods for system classes.
*/
-int jniRegisterSystemMethods(JNIEnv* env) {
+extern "C" int jniRegisterSystemMethods(JNIEnv* env) {
// JniHelp depends on core library classes such as
java.io.FileDescriptor.
return registerCoreLibrariesJni(env) != -1 && registerJniHelp(env) !=
-1;
}
diff --git a/vm/Init.cpp b/vm/Init.cpp
index 96a7c2a..e8b2f9b 100644
--- a/vm/Init.cpp
+++ b/vm/Init.cpp
@@ -38,7 +38,7 @@
/*
* Register VM-agnostic native methods for system classes.
*/
-extern int jniRegisterSystemMethods(JNIEnv* env);
+extern "C" int jniRegisterSystemMethods(JNIEnv* env);

/* fwd */
static bool registerSystemNatives(JNIEnv* pEnv);

Dan.
Post by Holger Pandel
Holger Pandel
Morten Sjøgren

Anunakin
2012-06-23 21:14:37 UTC
Nokia used, some time ago, a apps called ScratchBox, that was made for
developers, and run native x86 apps under CPU and ARM under QEmu ... I
think it cold be better then used a hacked version of Intel Phone..
Rui Carmo
2012-06-24 09:01:39 UTC
Yes, sb2 was used as part of their (Maemo?) tool chain, and it basically ran qemu-user inside a shell prompt to enable you to execute ELF ARM binaries. Last I saw of it was as part of a Raspberry Pi cross-compiling setup (sb2 is a set of packages that also includes a cross-compiler that runs on Intel and compiles ARM binaries), and that was the reason I mentioned QEMU a few days back.

(I've been using qemu-user for a good while now to build ARM binaries for Debian. It works, and I've even got it to build under Lion in a sensible way. But I have no idea what it would take to load Android ARM binaries and execute them inside an Intel runtime)

I don't know about Intel's stuff, but BlueStack uses a modified QEMU library to do the job. Given the complexity of doing any sort of decent emulation, it's pretty likely that Intel does so as well, and I think that's the way to go eventually.

R.
ALoGeNo
2012-06-25 03:50:13 UTC
Hi there, I have that stuff working, and works pretty fine (Thank you Dan
for this contribution, Marex for your help in the IRC, and of course
cwhuang and all of you guys).

I did a How-to detailed and step by step, you can find that here in my blog
: http://android-x86.sceners.org/en/?p=536

I did some benchmarks with quake3droid ARM and i was get fantastics
results, so BRAVO.! this is a very nice advance.

I hope to be helpful.

Regards.
Mojmír Křížek
2012-08-29 19:16:24 UTC
just wanna give you some updated infomation:
http://android-x86.sceners.org/en/?p=799
NEWS! OFFICIAL ANDROID-X86 4.0-RC2 RELEASED !! WE WILL SHOW YOU HOWTO ADD
ARM EMULATION! (THE EASY WAY)

here are written some updated installation instructions - no need to build
- just copy a couple of files into your android installation :D
dscm

2012-12-28 22:41:46 UTC
tabletx86 builds are ... undiscoverable<http://it.dicios.com/enit/undiscoverable>

Is there some kind person that has a copy of android-x86-4.0.4-eth0-gen_x86
dated 20120911 ?
Bryan Bishop
2012-12-28 23:17:58 UTC
Post by i***@public.gmane.org
Is there some kind person that has a copy of
android-x86-4.0.4-eth0-gen_x86 dated 20120911
I have android-x86-4.0-eth0-generic_x86-20120516.iso, does that count?

md5 011fc7b8ae031ff9b73527ad81a252ab

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507
2012-12-29 12:30:43 UTC
Thanks Bryan but I already have 20120516 version, I'd like to avoid
bothering people, but I cannot find a way to integrate arm libs myself.

It shouldn'be be difficult to copy the libs and arm directory in the build
tree, but I don't know where...my fault that I cannot interpret where to
exactly put files.
Then rebuilding only system.img and the iso (withoud rebuilding everything)
should also be possible, but there no clue...only posts that in the end do
not tell.

I've searched everywere

Maybe a three lines tutorial could help also other persons, I'd do it
myself if I only knew

Mauro
dscm