vmware: Could not add a reference to a surface, need help
Xuefer H
2017-06-23 02:32:45 UTC
android-x83 6.0-r3, downloaded from official website
vmware 12.5.2 build-4638234
it runs fine for some minutes and then starts to get flicker for a few
seconds, then black screen, or still image

dmesg shows a lot of
[ 1194.306230] [drm:vmw_surface_handle_reference.isra.13 [vmwgfx]] *ERROR*
Could not add a reference to a surface.
Xuefer H
Xuefer H
2017-07-07 08:41:46 UTC
ubuntu 16 LTS seems to be working fine under vmware. is there any thing we
can compare it against our android-x86 projects? can we borrow something
from ubuntu?

4.8.0-36-generic, Xorg module: xserver-xorg-video-vmware-hwe-16.04
libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 12.0.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-15 12:45:42 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
android-x83 6.0-r3, downloaded from official website
vmware 12.5.2 build-4638234
it runs fine for some minutes and then starts to get flicker for a few
seconds, then black screen, or still image
dmesg shows a lot of
[ 1194.306230] [drm:vmw_surface_handle_reference.isra.13 [vmwgfx]] *ERROR*
Could not add a reference to a surface.
Hi, do you have "crash test dummies" instructions on how to collect dmesg
and logcat/dumpsys SurfaceFlinger?

In this case you could boot and (virtual)Eth0 will work, but is there a way
to collect dmesg logcat when android-x86 it may not boot?

Do you see the number of buffers grow in big numbers?

Do you have the tombstone_xx files from /data/tombstones ?

Do you have also the output of logcat for your case showing the SIGSEGV
SIGABRT debug output?
Could you please also collect addr2line -Cfe output per each mesa backtrace
point?

e.g.
addr2line -Cfe
out/target/product/x86_64/symbols/system/lib64/dri/gallium_dri.so
[enter address of each backtrace point not already visible in the DEBUG
lines in logcat ouput]

same for any other library in this list:

addr2line -Cfe
out/target/product/x86_64/symbols/system/lib64/egl/libGLES_mesa.so
[...]

addr2line -Cfe
out/target/product/x86_64/symbols/system/lib64/libsurfaceflinger.so
[...]

addr2line -Cfe out/target/product/x86_64/symbols/system/bin/surfaceflinger
[...]

The output of addr2line should guve us clues about the actual code lines
causing the problem

If it worked in 17.1.5 we may see what was changed in 17.2 and mesa-dev
but was it working with 17.1.5 in the first place?

Cheers

Mauro
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-15 12:50:13 UTC
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
android-x83 6.0-r3, downloaded from official website
vmware 12.5.2 build-4638234
it runs fine for some minutes and then starts to get flicker for a few
seconds, then black screen, or still image
dmesg shows a lot of
[ 1194.306230] [drm:vmw_surface_handle_reference.isra.13 [vmwgfx]]
*ERROR* Could not add a reference to a surface.
[...]
Forgot to say: marshmallow-x86 has mesa 17.0.4 in order to try recent
versions have you at least checked out x86/nougat-x86 branch of
external/libdrm ?

Mauro
Xuefer H
2017-08-15 12:53:46 UTC
there wasn't any crash but plainly screen flicker/not updating, and full of
same error in dmesg log. logcat isn't updating much but just some noise
can't do any addr2line without any crashing

it's current 6.0 android-x86-r3 that can reproduce the problem
with older version it seems worse. e.g.: in r2 it failed to boot

i'll give any possible combination a try
Xuefer H
2017-08-17 02:09:01 UTC
yeah, you're born with magic

it won't reproduce for some minutes, switch to text console make it easier
to reproduce
i'd like to see anyone else try vmware on it. vmware is easier for most
people to test than the real machine.
Post by Mauro Rossi
If it worked in 17.1.5 we may see what was changed in 17.2 and mesa-dev
but was it working with 17.1.5 in the first place?
All 17.1.2, 17.1.5 and 17.1.6 work for me.
Tested on a Windows 10 host with
VMware Workstation 12.5.7.
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-17 12:28:53 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
it won't reproduce for some minutes, switch to text console make it easier
to reproduce
i'd like to see anyone else try vmware on it. vmware is easier for most
people to test than the real machine.
Hi, how to enable the 3D acceleration in vmware player?
Is it possible without installing the vmware tools in the guest?
I'm afraid I've interrupted some vmware host library installation

Could you please advise?
Thanks
Xuefer H
2017-08-17 12:51:07 UTC
Right click on one of the VM that run android-x86 -> Settings -> Display ->
Accelerate 3D graphics
ignore the warning about vmware tools, it never support android/x86 but
vice vesa android/x86 need to support this 3d accelerator like vmware tools
do. which is kernel+libdrm+mesa+surfaceflinger... whatever you know better
than i do
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-17 20:52:41 UTC
Il giorno mercoledì 16 agosto 2017 07:09:33 UTC+2, Chih-Wei Huang ha
Post by Mauro Rossi
If it worked in 17.1.5 we may see what was changed in 17.2 and mesa-dev
but was it working with 17.1.5 in the first place?
All 17.1.2, 17.1.5 and 17.1.6 work for me.
Tested on a Windows 10 host with
VMware Workstation 12.5.7.
Hi Chih-Wei,

on Ubuntu host I get different results
VMware player writes a warning that 3D acceleration is disabled
and then SurfaceFlinger sends a SIGABRT because he did not get the required
fd,
even if the driver name is recognized as vmwgfx

Do I need to install some livrary in the host or to modify some vmware
player configuration (or config file)
to have "real HW acceleration" ?

Thanks for any info

Mauro
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-17 23:36:34 UTC
That exactly i know
Your host graphic hardware do not support 3D, or your driver on the host is
blacklisted by vmware, which mean the driver is proven to be unstable
in case you're using nouveau (opensource driver) for nvidia card, install
nvidia closed source binary driver instead. google around on how to disable
stopped
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-18 17:13:08 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
That exactly i know
Your host graphic hardware do not support 3D, or your driver on the host
is blacklisted by vmware, which mean the driver is proven to be unstable
in case you're using nouveau (opensource driver) for nvidia card, install
nvidia closed source binary driver instead. google around on how to disable
stopped
There is no need to install nvidia proprietary driver

I edited the file ~/.vmware/preferences (created after installation) and
added the following line

mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = “TRUE”

Reference:
https://mytechnicalthoughts.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/how-to-enable-3d-acceleration-for-guests-in-vmware-workstation-pro-12-5/

Nice toy VMwareplayer with 3D acceleration.
M.
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-19 01:57:10 UTC
exactly, lifting blacklist is a way. but there's a reason for the
blacklist. nouveau is unstable for me even not running vmware. X server
stuck after a few minutes or hours. not happening with nvidia driver. it
can be combination of kernel/Xserver/libs/which-nv-driver/nv-card blahblah
but i haven't figure out other factor except nouveau-vs-nvidia driver. even
though, it is not relative to the problem i discuss in this thread. can you
reproduce it yet?
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-20 22:44:36 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
exactly, lifting blacklist is a way. but there's a reason for the
blacklist. nouveau is unstable for me even not running vmware. X server
stuck after a few minutes or hours. not happening with nvidia driver. it
can be combination of kernel/Xserver/libs/which-nv-driver/nv-card blahblah
but i haven't figure out other factor except nouveau-vs-nvidia driver. even
though, it is not relative to the problem i discuss in this thread. can you
reproduce it yet?
The problem you see does not appear in android-x86 7.1
svga driver works very smoothly with 3D acceleration with both nouveau and
radeon

Logs in the attachment
Mauro

PS: The current main issue with svga is that RGBA pipe format is a
supported but RGBX is not,
even if they have indeed the same memory footprint.

For this reason Unity Benchmark and Rajawali show black 3D renders.

Hacking gralloc_drm_pipe.c in this way it is even possible to see the 3D
renders,
i tried it with mesa-dev, but the 2D texture are still black.

diff --git a/gralloc_drm_pipe.c b/gralloc_drm_pipe.c
index 4fff6f1..90e9a6c 100644
--- a/gralloc_drm_pipe.c
+++ b/gralloc_drm_pipe.c
@@ -71,7 +71,7 @@ static enum pipe_format get_pipe_format(int format)
fmt = PIPE_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
break;
case HAL_PIXEL_FORMAT_RGBX_8888:
- fmt = PIPE_FORMAT_R8G8B8X8_UNORM;
+ fmt = PIPE_FORMAT_R8G8B8*A*8_UNORM;
break;
case HAL_PIXEL_FORMAT_RGB_888:
fmt = PIPE_FORMAT_R8G8B8_UNORM;

The real solutions needs the support of RGBX in svga driver in mesa
and we may even see 2D textures, i.e. having vmware player working in 100%
of Use Cases (for non commercial purposes only...)

Mauro
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
That exactly i know
Your host graphic hardware do not support 3D, or your driver on the host
is blacklisted by vmware, which mean the driver is proven to be unstable
in case you're using nouveau (opensource driver) for nvidia card,
install nvidia closed source binary driver instead. google around on how to
disable loading nouveau and install closed source one on console with X
server is stopped
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-20 22:46:48 UTC
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
exactly, lifting blacklist is a way. but there's a reason for the
blacklist. nouveau is unstable for me even not running vmware. X server
stuck after a few minutes or hours. not happening with nvidia driver. it
can be combination of kernel/Xserver/libs/which-nv-driver/nv-card blahblah
but i haven't figure out other factor except nouveau-vs-nvidia driver. even
though, it is not relative to the problem i discuss in this thread. can you
reproduce it yet?
The problem you see does not appear in android-x86 7.1
svga driver works very smoothly with 3D acceleration with both nouveau and
radeon
Logs in the attachment
Mauro
and here is the attachment
M.
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-21 02:00:47 UTC
secondly, can you please kindly try to reproduce it in 6? you don't have to
recompile everything. the one release on android-x86.org is confirmed to be
reproduced by me
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-21 20:17:57 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
secondly, can you please kindly try to reproduce it in 6? you don't have
to recompile everything. the one release on android-x86.org is confirmed
to be reproduced by me
When I may have some time, but no promises

Mauro
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-21 01:58:25 UTC
thanks. i'm not sure if i have black 3D render issue. how did you reproduce
it?
is there any suggestion on how to make android 6 fix this problem like it
in 7? i don't want to go for 7 as it's not as stable as 6 in android-x86 yet
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-21 19:50:22 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
thanks. i'm not sure if i have black 3D render issue. how did you
reproduce it?
Rajawali examples app
Basemark ES2 app

On mesa 17.0.x coming with marshmallow-x86 you would also need the following
and the test app for that issue is Gears by Jeff Boody:

http://git.osdn.net/view?p=android-x86/external-mesa.git;a=commit;h=dc8a8c95ee9dc39020e861ebb4e4aabb6c8657da
Post by Xuefer H
is there any suggestion on how to make android 6 fix this problem like it
in 7? i don't want to go for 7 as it's not as stable as 6 in android-x86 yet
? kernel 4.9 and mesa 17.1.7 ?
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-21 19:59:01 UTC
Post by Xuefer H
thanks. i'm not sure if i have black 3D render issue. how did you
reproduce it?
These apps are good for 2D and 3D textures tests

Rajawali examples app
Basemark ES2 app

On mesa 17.0.4 coming with marshmallow-x86 you would preliminary
cherry-pick of the following commit
and the test app for that issues is Gears by Jeff Boody

Post by Xuefer H
is there any suggestion on how to make android 6 fix this problem like it
in 7? i don't want to go for 7 as it's not as stable as 6 in android-x86 yet
? kernel 4.9 and mesa 17.1.7 ?

NOTE: in case you have issue with building mesa 17.1.x you may need to
disable radeonsi and swrast drivers in BoardConfig.mk
to decouple mesa build from llvm
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-22 13:54:15 UTC
similar problem. it starts to blink, raising the same problem as this topic
title. then the main area is black while the system UI (status bar, nav
bar, quick setting tiles) is visible
pressing "Recently" button animation title bar only, no preview screenshot
of the app, no list is shown. title bar is shown only during animation
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-22 14:26:49 UTC
08-23 06:18:46.254 10325 10354 I OMXClient: Using client-side OMX mux.
08-23 06:18:46.261 6156 6552 I StatusBarManagerService: registerStatusBar
bar=com.android.internal.statusbar.IStatusBar$Stub$***@748bbbd
08-23 06:18:46.285 6156 6276 D WifiService: New client listening to
asynchronous messages
08-23 06:18:46.318 6156 6195 D BluetoothManagerService: Added callback:
android.bluetooth.IBluetoothManagerCallback$Stub$***@c6ef62:true
08-23 06:18:46.321 10325 10325 D LocalBluetoothProfileManager: Adding local
MAP profile
08-23 06:18:46.321 10325 10325 D BluetoothMap: Create BluetoothMap proxy
object
08-23 06:18:46.323 10325 10325 D LocalBluetoothProfileManager:
LocalBluetoothProfileManager construction complete
08-23 06:18:46.324 6156 6175 D ConnectivityService: listenForNetwork for
Listen from uid/pid:10017/10325 for NetworkRequest [ id=82, legacyType=-1,
[] ]
08-23 06:18:46.328 10325 10325 I CameraManagerGlobal: Connecting to camera
service
08-23 06:18:46.346 10325 10365 D OpenGLRenderer: Use
EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOR_PRESERVED: true
08-23 06:18:46.346 10325 10365 D OpenGLRenderer: profile bars disabled
08-23 06:18:46.346 10325 10365 D OpenGLRenderer: ambientRatio = 1.50
08-23 06:18:46.352 10325 10325 I GRALLOC-DRM: create pipe for driver vmwgfx
08-23 06:18:46.352 10325 10325 E GRALLOC-PIPE: failed to allocate pipe
buffer
08-23 06:18:46.352 10325 10325 W GraphicBufferMapper:
registerBuffer(0x7f726783de80) failed -22 (Invalid argument)
08-23 06:18:46.352 10325 10325 E GraphicBuffer: unflatten: registerBuffer
failed: Invalid argument (-22)
08-23 06:18:46.355 10325 10325 D PhoneStatusBar: disable: < expand icons
alerts system_info back home recent clock search quick_settings >
08-23 06:18:46.368 10325 10325 D PhoneStatusBar: heads up is enabled
08-23 06:18:46.371 10325 10325 W KeyguardUpdateMonitor: invalid subId in
handleSimStateChange()
08-23 06:18:46.371 10325 10325 W KeyguardUpdateMonitor: invalid subId in
handleServiceStateChange()
08-23 06:18:46.372 6156 6276 D WifiService: New client listening to
asynchronous messages
08-23 06:18:46.373 10325 10325 D ViewRootImpl: changeCanvasOpacity:
opaque=true
08-23 06:18:46.395 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI_Core version
1
08-23 06:18:46.395 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI_DRI2 version
4
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI_TexBuffer
version 2
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI2_Flush
version 4
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI_IMAGE
version 12
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension
DRI_RENDERER_QUERY version 1
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI_CONFIG_QUERY
version 1
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI2_Fence
version 2
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I EGL-DRI2: found extension DRI2_Interop
version 108-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 I OpenGLRenderer: Initialized EGL,
version 1.4
08-23 06:18:46.396 10325 10365 W OpenGLRenderer: Failed to choose config
with EGL_SWAP_BEHAVIOR_PRESERVED, retrying without...
08-23 06:18:46.398 10325 10365 W OpenGLRenderer: Error creating image
(0x300c)
08-23 06:18:46.398 10325 10365 W OpenGLRenderer: Could not create atlas
image
08-23 06:18:46.398 10325 10365 F libc : Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code
1, fault addr 0x8 in tid 10365 (RenderThread)
08-23 06:18:46.499 1867 1867 F DEBUG : *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
08-23 06:18:46.499 1867 1867 F DEBUG : Build fingerprint:
'x86_64_arm/x86_64_arm/x86_64_arm:6.0.1/MOB31T/xuefer08221453:userdebug/by:Xuefer,test-keys'
08-23 06:18:46.499 1867 1867 F DEBUG : Revision: '0'
08-23 06:18:46.499 1867 1867 F DEBUG : ABI: 'x86_64'
08-23 06:18:46.499 1867 1867 F DEBUG : pid: 10325, tid: 10365, name:
RenderThread >>> com.android.systemui <<<
08-23 06:18:46.500 1867 1867 F DEBUG : signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1
(SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 0x8
08-23 06:18:46.500 1867 1867 E DEBUG : AM write failed: Broken pipe
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : rax 0000000000000000 rbx
00007f726a1fd940 rcx 000000000000003d rdx 0000000000000000
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : rsi 0000000000000010 rdi
000000000000000b
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : r8 0000000000000001 r9
0000000000000003 r10 0000000000002721 r11 0000000000000202
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : r12 00007f72683b9000 r13
00007f7266b3f1c0 r14 00007f7274d99a70 r15 00007f726a1fd940
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : cs 0000000000000033 ss
000000000000002b
08-23 06:18:46.505 1867 1867 F DEBUG : rip 00007f727d3898f4 rbp
00007f7266b3f220 rsp 00007f7266b3f190 eflags 0000000000010246
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG :
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : backtrace:
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #00 pc 00000000000378f4
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
(_ZN7android10uirenderer10AssetAtlas4initENS_2spINS_13GraphicBufferEEEPli+180)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #01 pc 000000000002d01c
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #02 pc 00000000000280ee
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #03 pc 000000000002dc1f
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #04 pc 000000000002dada
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #05 pc 0000000000030e68
/system/lib64/libhwui.so
(_ZN7android10uirenderer12renderthread12RenderThread10threadLoopEv+136)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #06 pc 0000000000017412
/system/lib64/libutils.so (_ZN7android6Thread11_threadLoopEPv+370)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #07 pc 00000000000a6873
/system/lib64/libandroid_runtime.so
(_ZN7android14AndroidRuntime15javaThreadShellEPv+83)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #08 pc 0000000000085b0e
/system/lib64/libc.so (_ZL15__pthread_startPv+46)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #09 pc 00000000000293fb
/system/lib64/libc.so (__start_thread+11)
08-23 06:18:46.506 1867 1867 F DEBUG : #10 pc 000000000001cb75
/system/lib64/libc.so (__bionic_clone+53)
08-23 06:18:46.575 1867 1867 F DEBUG :
08-23 06:18:46.575 1867 1867 F DEBUG : Tombstone written to:
/data/tombstones/tombstone_04

this is when blinking happens
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Xuefer H
Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mauro Rossi
2017-08-19 20:00:38 UTC
Post by Mauro Rossi
Post by Xuefer H
That exactly i know
Your host graphic hardware do not support 3D, or your driver on the host
is blacklisted by vmware, which mean the driver is proven to be unstable
in case you're using nouveau (opensource driver) for nvidia card, install
nvidia closed source binary driver instead. google around on how to disable
stopped
There is no need to install nvidia proprietary driver
I edited the file ~/.vmware/preferences (created after installation) and
added the following line
mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = “TRUE”
Well it has to be with the following double quotes, because the one I
pasted in the previous post do not work

Post by Mauro Rossi
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Xuefer H
2017-08-23 09:09:31 UTC
with kernel 4.12 4.13 it reboot immediately after cdrom boot with menu
selected, emergency remount+reboot
with 4.12, it boots, it seems stable if i stay out of console Ctrl+Alt+F1.
but surfaceflinger may go black if i stay at console F1 and keep "top"
command running
Xuefer H