Thinkpad X200 Tablet Pen Configuration
Andrew
2013-11-05 23:08:27 UTC
Im using android 4.0.3 or so on my Thinkpad X200 tablet. Everything seems
to be working great except the stylus (pen) touch does not line-up with
where the actual touch is. Top left of screen is right on, but as you move
away (to the lower right) the touch seperates and is off.
Ive been trying to figure this out for a long time and am NOT a "code"
person but can understand basics.
I have a couple ideas.
On my x41T and X61T the pen works perfect, but on the X200 the touch is
"off" (not aligned). So one idea of mine is that being the X200 is a
widscreen maybe thats why its not lining-up right. Just a thought.
Another thought was to change the display resolution. By googling I found
if you type "vga=ask", you can see all the display modes. But at this point
Im stuck cause Im unsure on how to change the display mode. Tried a few
different ways and when it reboots, it still looks the same.
Ive ran across a thing where you download the "inputattach" file and do
something with it. But no one wants to explain it in plain english.
If someone can explain this in understandable detail it would be greatly
appreciated.
This pertains to the pen not aligned correctly to the pen touch. Ive tried
a couple apps and they dont seem to do anything.
If I eventually figure this out on my own (god help me), I will share it
with the world on you tube so others dont go bald from pulling their hair
out.
fuzzy7k
2013-11-06 00:03:49 UTC
If it's anything like mine, the manufacturer used a digitizer that was
designed for a different screen size. On mine I can't reach any of the
boarders with my finger, but the pen works fine. The fact that yours is
stuffed into a corner could mean that the device does not report the proper
limits, or that the driver assumes 0 instead of using the reported limit.
Although IIRC, 0, 0 is top left, so I don't think assuming 0 would be what
is wrong.

Unfortunately, Android does not incorporate any mechanism to calibrate,
which the manufacturer relied on. There is tslib, which was ported, but it
only works with one input. When I tried to use it back in froyo, the pen
and touchpad inputs were thrown way off.

unless kitkat introduced a way to adjust limits, you have a couple options:
1. edit the kernel driver and hard code the limits
2. use the ioctl EVIOCSABS. system/core/toolbox/sendevent.c has it defined,
but doesn't implement a way to use it.

#2 would be the preferred way because #1 doesn't stand a chance of being
accepted upstream, and #2 is more versatile. You may also want to see if
the kernel exports a way to echo in the limits via sysfs. I don't think it
does, but that would be ideal.
Andrew
2013-11-06 00:22:49 UTC
Hmm, thats why I was thinking if you could boot into a different screen resolution then maybe it would be aligned correctly. My pen moves all over the screen but is not 'aligned'.
fuzzy7k
2013-11-06 15:37:39 UTC
Well, that would depend on where the problem is. If it's somehing that
could be fixed by changing the screen resolution, then that would indicate
an OS that doesn't communicate with it's subcomponents, A problem that was
solved probably over a decade ago. The most likely case, which still needs
to be verified, is that the device is reporting a maximum value, say 4095,
but then never reporting anything close to that, say 3078. It doesn't
matter what resolution you use because Android will scale that maximum
value to the edge of the display, that's why changing the ABSolute value
works.

you need to find out what what maximum is reported, then what the real
maximum value the device will send. My knowledge of what tools to do that
is a little stale, but xinput may help and also rmmod <yourdriver> followed
by lsusb -vvv will show all of the data reported by the device, Look for
Logical Maximum and take care if your device has multiple tools.
Greg McGee
2013-11-07 10:09:12 UTC
inputattach is an executable file that if run with the proper arguments
"attaches" your X200T wacom screen to an input device so the kernel can
recognize it.
the wacom_w8001 kernel module autodetects the screenmode and digitizer
dimensions just fine.

In order to get it to automagically load you have to edit the init script
as described in the tarball containing the source and exe and repeated many
times since.

This works ~perfectly with 4.2 or 4.3.
The latest 4.3 builds find and use everything on my X200T except the tablet
buttons.
It is fully usable as a tablet, sleep even works.

On 4.0x you can allegedly use wacom-input , but I have never had much luck
with it
I recall using a thinkpad build of 4.0something that the tablet worked
fine, the wifi and ethernet didn't (and not just due to missing formware)
so it was useless out of the box.
Andrew Jewett
2013-11-07 13:10:32 UTC
Yeah, Ive got a couple files Ive downloaded some files dont know what to do
with them. Is this the same kind of thing where you have to push 'a' at the
boot screen and type a bunch of weird stuff? Like on my X41T I would have
to type sdcard=/dev/mmcblko to get the sd card slot to work.
Ive seen somewhere where someone said all you have to do is put some of
these files somewhere (im guessing in one of the install folders?) and when
you boot it will just work.
On my X200T 4.0._ the pen works but not calibrated properly. On 4.3, it
doesnt work at all (the pen). (edit the init script as described in the
tarball containing the source and exe and repeated many times
since).....this is what I need explaing with.
Thanks for your help.
Andrew Jewett
Greg McGee
2013-11-08 01:23:03 UTC
copy the inputattach executable to /system/xbin or /bin

edit your /etc/init.sh and add the line in the example init.sh supplied to
your /system/etc/init.sh. (to the init_misc section if you prefer)

All this is very easy to do from a Linux install, but it can be done from
the ctl+alt+f1 shell. (or root shell if you have rooted it with Superuser)

If you want to add it to you android-x86 build tree the source is provided,
goes in android-x86/external
Andrew Jewett
2013-11-09 00:55:13 UTC
Sorry. If you dont feel like writing back i understand. But 'executable'
you mean the whole zip file or whats in it? I still dont undetstand a lot
of this. Are you saying to open the init.sh file with a notepad or
something and add more to it. ?
Greg McGee
2013-11-10 03:43:05 UTC
I don't mind, it's just difficult to troubleshoot over the internet.
Sometimes I expect things to be obvious but I forget we have all levels of
experience here.

The file "inputattach" in the root of the zipfile is the compiled
executable.

You can complile your own using the supplied source, by placing the
inputattach sources in the external/ dir of the android-x86 souces and
doing an mmm inputattatch
(after the initial setup and running lunch for the session)

The issue on 4.03 may be that you need to run the calibration, and IIRC it
does work there.
You may need to compile the executable.
Andrew Jewett
2013-11-10 04:07:20 UTC
Your responce is greatly appreciated. Thank you. From what im gathering it
seemed i was to copy over a file to a sys. folder, then edit something. But
its not letting me copy anything over. Not only that , ive downloaded a few
different files and dont know which one even if thats what im supposed to
do.
Andrew Jewett
2013-11-10 04:41:49 UTC
This is all way over my head. Ive done a lot of flashing on my phone
(sgh-i897) and know what kernels are. But everytime i get a responce from
this x200 wacom thing, i get different words (terms) and such from
different people and the same in my google searches. I can make sense of
50% or so of what has to be done. The other 50% is all greek to me.
From all the information ive recieved i might be able to figure out what to
do but i would be half guessing it.
A friend of mine was telling me to just use 4.2 and use the kernel and
init. and .sh files from 4.0 and it should work. But then again the xplore
app doesnt let me copy anything over.
Thanks for your input. Youve given me the most useful information.