Oreo RC2 Stuck at Random during boot
BrokenE39
2018-11-15 07:52:39 UTC
I been trying to build a custom Oreo RC2 ISO for my particular Cherrytrail
device but running into a boot problem. In debug mode, I see random: crng
init taking around 60s to 130s. It then threw an error saying 7 urandom
warnings(s) missed due to ratelimiting. I have to plug the keyboard back in
and hit the enter key a few times to get it to the Android boot screen. I
can't remember where the system logs are located so I can't post the debug
logs, would love some instructions on extracting the logs again.
BrokenE39
2018-11-18 07:38:03 UTC
Upon further Goolging, it looks like a kernel bug that have not been
resolved yet. Since I'm having issues with Oreo RC2 with crng, I would like
to re-compile Oreo RC1. However, I notice the sync command to get from GIT
is the exact same between RC1 and RC2. How do I modify the command to
ensure I'm getting Oreo RC1 instead of RC2?

Jon West
2018-11-18 14:58:11 UTC
Unfortunately, that is not possible since the oreo-x86 branches are updated/overwritten
Daniel Cheung
2018-11-18 20:31:34 UTC
That's what I was afraid of. I'll see if I can get DonQ's advice on this
since he also got a Cherrytrail device and knows a heck more than I do.
Don Quijote
2018-11-18 22:55:04 UTC
Thanks for the trust you put into me, but I'm afraid that I wont be able to
provide much help. It already took me an enormous amount of time to debug
my own device, and I'm not done. Still have some issues with my device and
I'm not a programmer, only have some C++ experience in the windows world
and I compiled my first linux kernel for my device.

That being said, what device do you have at all? And what is the real
problem? Only the boot time? Maybe you can try using the mouse pad or
touchscreen (depending on your device) to generate more entropy. I also saw
crng taking some time when booting and providing more entropy to initialize
the rnd number generator helps with that.
Daniel Cheung
2018-11-19 01:44:35 UTC
Hey Don, thanks for your reply. My device is a Teclast X98 Plus (A5C6
model) tablet using Z8300. Since it's a tablet, using finger input is the
norm. When I had the keyboard connected to and press "Enter" a few times,
it does get pass the issue. From what I been reading, some people on Atom
recommend installing Haveged to get around the issue. However, there
doesn't seem to be any updated method of getting it to run on Android.

I'm not sure if unchecking encryption and hardware random number generator
in the config file will help as I haven't install the custom image yet.
Would love some more advise / suggestions.

https://github.com/ArchiDroid/haveged