Android-x86-4.0-RC1 on the Dell Mini 9 / Inspiron 910
T Banks
2012-04-22 23:25:51 UTC
Just posting to say that I had success running Android-x86-4.0-RC1 on the
Dell Mini 9.

Most importantly, I replaced the Broadcom Wifi card with an Azurewave
wireless card based on the Atheros AR5B95 chip. I imagine an Intel based
card should work well too. I know this might be a stumbling block for some,
however $20 will save you a lot of headaches when it comes to running any
non-Windows OS on any laptop. I can't imagine swapping out this card would
be above the abilities of anyone bothering to install Android on a Netbook.

Working:
I was able to stream Pandora from my WPA2 AES encrypted 802.11g network,
web browsing works well too. The Sleep, Volume, and Screen Brightness keys
work.

Not working:
A lot of apps are listed in the market as being incompatible with my device
(Including Flash Player), but not all. This could be due to the device
profile in the Market (which could be incorrect), or perhaps they are only
compatible with ARM devices? If I find out more I will post it here.
The screen brightness slider in Settings does not affect the LCD's display
brightness.
The WiFi Toggle and Mute function keys do not work.
When the laptop locks and Android goes into "Sleep" mode, Sometimes the
laptop will actually go into standby, and sometimes it may sit on the lock
screen and not respond to mouse or keyboard input until it is "woken up" by
momentarily pressing the power key once. If the laptop actually goes into
standby it can be woken up by pressing the power key, but once back at the
lock screen you need to momentarily press the power button one more time in
order for Android to allow you to drag the unlock bubble.
Apps rotating to portrait - probably the biggest annoyance. Rotation Locker
helps, but some apps are still flip the display to portrait, requiring you
to switch to rotation locker and force the display back to landscape.

All of that being said, I believe Android-x86-4.0-RC1 will be usable for
me. YMMV.
Idilio Zanoteli
2012-04-26 01:32:14 UTC
I've got sucess running Android-x86-4.0-RC1 on a Dell mini 10. All run
stable and very fast, except the wifi, since the bradcom card still not
working for me in this release. I think it would not be impossible to make
wifi work, since the broadcom was supported on 2.2 and 3.2 releases.
Le Zouave
BuhSnarf
2012-05-12 19:41:23 UTC
Is there any way to get this wifi working on the Dell Mini?

I have the Mini 10v and using the eeePC version everything works pretty
spot on including camera, sound and usb mouse/trackpad and the only thing
that doesn't is the Wifi which is the killer feature.

Don't mind a bit of tinkering, just never set eyes on Android x86 before
today so need a push in the right direction!
Scaldari
BuhSnarf
2012-05-21 09:28:45 UTC
Just purchased a cheap Atheros wlan card from eBay for.my mini 10v. Hopefully I can replicate the success above. If not at least I'll have a non broad com card which will make Linux easier anyway as I always have problems ob reinstalls anyway.
BuhSnarf
2012-05-21 09:29:10 UTC
John-Paul Wenger
2012-06-23 02:53:42 UTC
same issues with a dell mini 9
Marc Tabor
2012-05-23 02:07:17 UTC
I also have it running on my Mini 9 using the Asus Laptop install. have
replaced the Broadcom wireless with an Intel on the outset from my laptop
so no issue there. Also have no flash support (yet, looking for
a browser work around). Also of note the internal microphone does "work"
its just if i yell loud enough im told i am very faint and far
away. Sound quality is passable, although the auto leveling feature is of
course not being utilized, not sure about the hi-def aspect, would need
another to do a side by side. Also had issue with mounting an SD card in
the USB memory. Battery Life reporting also appears inaccurate, although
over all i seem to be getting better/longer life then i was with Win
7 Ultimate shoehorned on to it.. Another Item of note, i could not seem to
find a video player what would play my movies but it could be i
just have not found the right one to work with
the Intel graphical chipset yet. In conclusion, with working wifi, we
have possibilities, but without working mic support (I've tried the
internal, plunging one into the jack as well as the USB port) Its utility
on the go for me is limited (i use voip a lot). Without being able to play
movies it is a waste of ISSD space. If i can get those minor complaints
fixed i think i will be looking into a touch screen overlay, Loving the
overall interface!
Andrew McIver
2012-05-23 10:39:46 UTC
Post by Marc Tabor
I also have it running on my Mini 9 using the Asus Laptop install.
I am running the RC1 of ICS using the Asus laptop .iso. Installed onto my
Acer Aspire One AOA110 / ZG5. (Dual booting with ArchLinux)
It has an atheros wifi card, which is working. The only strange behaviour I
notice is that the screen sometimes gets rotated into "portrait" mode,
which is impossible to change until I reboot. That is quite frustrating, as
there is no accelerometer or way that I know of to get the screen back to
landscape & locked to landscape mode.
Marc Tabor
2012-05-23 16:48:27 UTC
I fixed that by downloading a rotation lock app from Google play (the one
that worked for me has a purple background on the icon). sometimes i have
to go back into the app and force it again, but the offending apps seem
to remember for a while after.
Sergi Reyner
2012-05-23 19:19:20 UTC
The only strange behaviour I notice is that the screen sometimes gets
rotated into "portrait" mode, which is impossible to change until I reboot.
That is quite frustrating, as there is no accelerometer or way that I know
of to get the screen back to landscape & locked to landscape mode.
Quite annoying indeed on non-tablets. Just get Rotation Locker from the
market.
Ollie
2012-05-23 22:09:10 UTC
Sorry to go off topic but is acerhdf working on the Asus Laptop image? I've
used the eeepc build before but the fan would get ridiculously loud because
acerhdf isn't supported in that image.
BuhSnarf
2012-05-25 09:12:35 UTC
Post by Marc Tabor
[...]
I have replaced the Broadcom wlan card in my Dell Mini 10v with a genreric
Atheros one which you can pick up on ebay for less than £5 and can confirm
that it works flawlessly.

Sound works, wifi works, youtube works, play store works.

The only thing that doesn't work quite right is that for the launcher it
thinks it's a phone. i.e. there is no menu bar along the bottom. the
notifications are in the standard pull down menu as opposed to when
clicking on the clock a la tablet mode and when you open the app drawer it
takes up about a quarter of the screen. nc
bucksoo
2012-05-30 07:11:27 UTC
You don't need to change Broadcom wifi module if you use Stefan
Seidel's thinkpad ISO image.
(http://stefanseidel.info/index.php)

It works well with Wifi and others, you can find demo video below.

John-Paul Wenger
2012-06-23 02:26:29 UTC
I couldnt get wifi to work on any image out there. running a dell mini 9
http://youtu.be/8KxY1ESObQs