Experimental kernel 3.16 for Android-x86 (READ WARNING FIRST)
pstglia
2014-08-31 20:18:36 UTC
Hi everybody,

I'm sharing with you an experimental kernel 3.16 modded for Android-x86.
Basically, the job was diff released kernel.org src with android x86
kernel, compared the changes and created patches to apply on 3.16.
Also used experimental kernel 3.14 released from AOSP to ensure which
changes were related to Android.
Some extra changes were required in order to compile and run it (listed
some of then in the end of this post)

In the systems I tested (AMD A10 5800K / Celeron E3300 with Nvidia GT630)
most of basic functions worked (watching videos, surfing at Web, etc).
Nouveau performs a bit better with this kernel than the previous one
(3.10.x), due the driver changes inside kernel. I noted a big difference
playing videos.

Currently, wifi network is not working (unable to store keys /authenticate
- appears to be related to wpa-supplicant). Haven't tested with open
networks.
Wired network is working.

*WARNING: If you want to give a try on it, keep in mind that:*
* - These changes may contain bugs that can DAMAGE your hardware and cause
DATA LOSS.*
* - Some hacks were made to bypass some security. So this may EXPOSE your
machine and network.*

*Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU WERE ADVISED*

If you want to build your system with these changes, here's 2 alternatives

1) Applying patches:
1.1) Download kernel 3.16 source (from kernel.org) and unpack it
1.2) Copy the attached patches to the download kernel directory
1.3) Apply them with "patch -p0 < patch_file_name". Each patch will modify
files from the correspondent directory (kernel, arch, drivers, etc)
1.4) Copy Android.mk file from Android-x86 kernel dir (ANDROID_SRC/kernel)
to your downloaded kernel directory
1.5) Replace current Android-x86 kernel directory (ANDROID_SRC/kernel) by
your patched 3.16
1.6) Clean previous build and start compilation

2) Ready modded kernel
2.1) Download modded kernel source from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fNFFRYzdCbDM2X3M/edit?usp=sharing

2.2) replace your existing kernel dir (ANDROID_SRC/kernel), clean up
previous build and kick in.

* * *

There is an ISO I built to test on my hardware. It's using mesa 10.1.5 and
is intended for Radeon (non CGN) and Nvidia GPUs (This won't work for Intel
GPU users)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fZXM0bER4TUdvUlk/edit?usp=sharing

* * *

Some of the "ugly" hacks made:
- net/ipv4/tcp.c: Commented reference to rcv_saddr on ipv6 code
/*s6 = &inet->pinet6->rcv_saddr;
if (ipv6_addr_type(s6) == IPV6_ADDR_MAPPED)
continue;*/

- drivers/input/evdev.c: Removed call to wake_lock_destroy
/*if (client->use_wake_lock)
wake_lock_destroy(&client->wake_lock);*/

- Disabled NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_QTAGUID parameter on kernel config to avoid
errors related to xt_qtaguid.c

- drivers/gpu/drm/drm_drv.c: ignored return from drm_ioctl_permit
(permition check for drm ioctl, based on extra permissions,
like CAP_SYS_ADMIN/DRM_AUTH

I attached a file with some personal notes:
"estudos_loucos_kernel_android_20140809.txt" (In Portuguese)

* * *

Have fun.
pstglia
pstglia
2014-08-31 20:21:20 UTC
Some shots :)
rbg
2014-09-01 21:34:34 UTC
FWIW:

using Cisco router E1200....

WEP / WPA Personal connect and work fine..........WPA2 Personal gets
Authentication error on 2 different devices tested

checked a few threads and maybe related to driver issues in 3.16.....others
have seen same for different wifi drivers

built android-x86 4.4.4_r2 using your modded kernel source....

VPAD10 wifi is Atheros AR9002WB-1NG and HPG60 Laptop wifi is Atheros AR9285
pstglia
2014-09-01 23:29:32 UTC
Post by rbg
WEP / WPA Personal connect and work fine..........WPA2 Personal gets
Authentication error on 2 different devices tested
checked a few threads and maybe related to driver issues in
3.16.....others have seen same for different wifi drivers
Thanks for pointing this out (I'm using WPA-PSK /WPA2-PSK with a TL-WR841N
router + Ralink corp. RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R pci card).

Will check if there's a fix for this on 3.16.1. In last case, I'll try to
debug it.

Currently trying to put all this mess on git :)
pstglia
2014-09-02 00:56:04 UTC
I've pushed these changes to git:

https://github.com/pstglia/Kernel-3.16-for-android-x86
pstglia
2014-09-02 02:23:33 UTC
Thank you for putting it on the github.
However, I saw it's a big single drop.
It's not easy to see what changed.
* Clone the vanilla kernel
(e.g., https://github.com/torvalds/linux )
* Apply each patch separately, including
Google's and yours (if any).
In this way it could be reviewed more easily.
Sure. I'll report back when it's ready
pstglia
2014-09-02 03:00:53 UTC
Forked Torvalds kernel, applied patches to modded / created files and
pushed them (branch name is v3.16_android):

https://github.com/pstglia/linux

Could you check it please?
rbg
2014-09-05 19:02:13 UTC
FYI-

got to re-test today after upgrading to kernel 3.16.1, then rebuilding

same WiFi issues for me.............
pstglia
2014-09-05 21:29:20 UTC
Will try to map the problem.

Have u found any other issues?
Mauro Rossi
2014-09-06 13:08:53 UTC
Trying to build with kernel 3.16...

Do I need to leave the kernel/android folder to successfully complete the
build, isn't it?

In my previous attempts, I was doing the fist kernel build by providing
3.10 version of my_defconfig,
that should induce the kernel building with default settings for new 3.16
features.

I'll try and I'll report back the results

M.
pstglia
2014-09-06 14:25:33 UTC
Post by Mauro Rossi
Do I need to leave the kernel/android folder to successfully complete the
build, isn't it?
Hi Mauro,

You can do this if you don't wish to build all android src again:

1) Replace entire ANDROID_SRC/kernel by this patched one
2) Remove the previous kernel build:

# removing img files:
cd $OUT
rm -f ramdisk.img install.img kernel system.sfs initrd.img android_x86.iso
rm -f ./obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img

# Remove obj files:
cd obj/kernel
rm -rf *

# Copying new .config
cp ANDROID_SRC/kernel/arch/x86/configs/android-x86_defconfig ./.config

# remove modules/firmwares
cd ../../system/lib/modules/
rm -rf 3.10.52-android-x86/

# remove libwebchromium (I had to remove it - it is somehow linked with
kernel and was crashing for me before rebuilding)
cd ../../../obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/
rm -rf libwebviewchromium*

make -j5 iso_img (or a variant of this)
rbg
2014-09-07 00:47:21 UTC
no have only been concerned about WiFi stuff.....will add some gapps this
week
and if ok will run some games....any suggestions on other stuff to check
out/verify????

also should I try 10.1.4 mesa intergration??
pstglia
2014-09-07 03:15:53 UTC
Post by rbg
no have only been concerned about WiFi stuff.....will add some gapps this
week
and if ok will run some games....any suggestions on other stuff to check
out/verify????
If you can, please check performance and Stability in general (compared to
3.10.52)
Post by rbg
also should I try 10.1.4 mesa intergration??
It depends your hardware... if you have an Intel IGP, keep it unchanged.
10.x Mesa version has problems with classic drivers. Emil Velikov and Mauro
Rossi are trying to make this work.

If you are using radeon/nvidia, Mauro has generated patches for 10.2.3 and
even 10.3.0. Check this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/Android-x86/WkwkrP38M1o%5B101-125-false%5D

A last note: Checked that loading "ctr" and "ccm" kernel modules we are
able to auth wpa2. However, there's still problems trying to access network.
Maybe another crypt kernel module which needs to be loaded... Still digging

Thanks,
pstglia
pstglia
2014-09-09 02:10:20 UTC
Hi Folks,

Solved the problem with wpa2 auth (at least in tests I executed on my
hardware) making some crypto modules built in instead of modules (just to
avoid explicit loading on scripts)

< CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG=m
---
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG=y
5931c5931
< CONFIG_CRYPTO_CCM=m
---
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CCM=y
5933c5933
< CONFIG_CRYPTO_SEQIV=m
---
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SEQIV=y
5939c5939
< CONFIG_CRYPTO_CTR=m
---
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CTR=y
# Here's the new testing ISO
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fdkZSaW4tcnpmYkE/edit?usp=sharing

# Also updated github with this new kernel config
https://github.com/pstglia/linux

Note: To keep a cleaner track of changes, a merge/rebase is required
between regular kernel source and android source.
I did it in a very manual way (used diff and KDE's gui Kompare ), so it's
not easy to see the changes made by Google and our changes the way this git
is today.
I'm not familiar with merge/rebase, so if someone could help I'll be
thankful

Regards,
Pstglia
rbg
2014-09-09 07:36:35 UTC
WPA2 Personal verified on 2 different devices tested with your new
patches...

android-x86 4.4.4_r2 build using kernel source patched to 3.16.1....

VPAD10 wifi is Atheros AR9002WB-1NG and HPG60 Laptop wifi is Atheros AR9285

repeating pstglia warning.....

WARNING: If you want to give a try on it, keep in mind that:
- These changes may contain bugs that can DAMAGE your hardware and cause
DATA LOSS.
- Some hacks were made to bypass some security. So this may EXPOSE your
machine and network.

Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU WERE ADVISED

Untested build...but a start..UNOFFICIAL BUILD

available here for TEST and feedback ONLY...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkc2prdGg2MXpVRGc/edit?usp=sharing

pstglia check your email for 3.16.1 source to do with what you want, all
info in folder...
rbg
2014-09-09 07:41:48 UTC

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkbG14WVQxUWdZWm8/edit?usp=sharing

Mauro Rossi
2014-09-09 12:07:41 UTC
Hi, great news!

Can I ask some further questions? Just to undestand more about kernel folder and rebuild from scratch. I use ccache to speed-up

Do I need the existing ANDROID_SRC/kernel/android folder?
Android.mk file is necessary, but can I use the exact same file present in 3.10.52 current kernel?

Regarding android-x86_defconfig file how was it generated? Using kconfig merge scripts and merging necessary and recommended kernel config lines as per kernel/android files and instructions?

Thank you, sorry for asking, but I'm trying learn and fix these concepts.

Mauro
pstglia
2014-09-09 23:13:58 UTC
HI Mauro
Post by Mauro Rossi
Do I need the existing ANDROID_SRC/kernel/android folder?
Android.mk file is necessary, but can I use the exact same file present in
3.10.52 current kernel?
ANDROID_SRC/kernel/android is not really necessary. It's supposed to
contain a minimal required configs to build an Android system. However, if
you ensure your arch/x86/configs/android-x86_defconfig has all necessary
options enabled, this is not needed.

Android.mk from 3.10.52 can be used. Kernel base dir structure is the same
on 3.10.52 and 3.16 (some minor differences).
There's only one Broadcom driver download inside this... Not sure if has to
be changed...
Post by Mauro Rossi
Regarding android-x86_defconfig file how was it generated? Using kconfig
merge scripts and merging necessary and recommended kernel config lines as
per kernel/android files and instructions?
Here's how I generated mine:
- Got android-x86_defconfig from 3.10.52 and copied to $OUT/obj/kernel and
renamed it to .config
- Under ANDROID_SRC dir I run a "make -C kernel O=$OUT/obj/kernel ARCH=x86
oldconfig" to import the common settings from 3.10.52. For the new
parameters, I choose the default answer
- When finished, I run a "make -C kernel O=$OUT/obj/kernel ARCH=x86
menuconfig" to check extra drivers/parameters I want to enable (e.g
enabling crypto modules)
- Finally, I copy $OUT/obj/kernel/.config to arch/x86/configs and rename
it to android-x86_defconfig
Steven Seed
2014-09-22 03:57:43 UTC
I tested this build on my Sony Vaio Pro 11. All seems to be working well except GPS. Also Wifi works, but does't always come back properly after suspend/resume. On the positive side, the suspend stays suspended as opposed to the 4.4.2 r1 build which keeps waking up every few seconds.
Vaidotas
2014-09-10 16:41:14 UTC
Any hope to run this version on Intel VGA chipsets?
Post by pstglia
is today.
I'm not familiar with merge/rebase, so if someone could help I'll be
thankful
To use the merging way, suppose you are in the vanilla 3.16 branch
(assume both branches are already in your repository.
if not, use git fetch to get them)
git merge android-3.14
then use 'git status' to check which files
have conflicts, and edit them manually
to remove the conflicts.
Then use 'git add filename' to add the files
you resolved the conflicts.
Once all conflicts are resolved, you are done.
Try to build it and fix errors if any.
Use 'git commit' to commit it.
The rebasing way is almost the same, except
you have to resolve conflicts in each patch separately.
Could be simpler but take longer time.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
pstglia
2014-09-10 20:56:48 UTC
The build made by rgd should support it, as it is using Mesa 9.2.0
Wip for newer Mesa versions...
rbg
2014-09-11 07:21:44 UTC
FWIW..

integrated gapps (same as 4.4-RC2) couple days ago....

cut-the-rope / where's my water 2 worked fine.....

Chih-Wei what are the latest/best one to test compatibility???

having a tough time trying to generate a x86_64 working defconfig....feel
it is needed...

any help is welcome...!!!
Snake Eyes
2014-09-03 15:42:52 UTC
I tested your build in my system (i3 540,ATi 5770), and it is really fast
one. Antutu jumped from 52837 (original 4.4-R1) to 66400.
I am also having that WPA bug, but it connects to open wifi.

The results so far are quite nice, hope you continue developing.
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-11 00:44:07 UTC
Can someone upload their build for me (Pretty please!)
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-11 00:44:49 UTC
Can someone upload their build for me (Pretty please!)
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-11 00:45:26 UTC
Can someone upload their build for me (Pretty please!)
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-11 01:06:57 UTC
Awesome! Is there any solution for WIFI yet? I used the build you provided
( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fZXM0bER4TUdvUlk/edit?usp=sharing
) and it wont even detect WIFI :( If someone managed to get it working,
would you please upload it to gdrive or atleast guide me thru ^_^ Thanks!
pstglia
2014-09-11 01:44:26 UTC
(
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fZXM0bER4TUdvUlk/edit?usp=sharing
) and it wont even detect WIFI :( If someone managed to get it working,
would you please upload it to gdrive or atleast guide me thru ^_^ Thanks!
Hi. You're not using the last ISO. Check previous messages.
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-12 02:06:03 UTC
Still no luck with built in WiFi ... :( Tried rosewill wifi dongle ...
works for like 2-3 mins, gets dc and system becomes highly unstable.
Question : Does r2 works with AMD systems? What kernel x Mesa does it use?
pstglia
2014-09-12 02:57:22 UTC
Em quinta-feira, 11 de setembro de 2014 23h06min03s UTC-3, Mashnoon Ibtesum
Post by Mashnoon Ibtesum
Still no luck with built in WiFi ... :( Tried rosewill wifi dongle ...
works for like 2-3 mins, gets dc and system becomes highly unstable.
can you tell the brand/model of your wifi card?

Question : Does r2 works with AMD systems? What kernel x Mesa does it use?

When u say AMD, you mean graphic card or CPU?
If graphic card, if not a Radeon CGN (like R7, R9), should work (I have a
A10 5800K, works ok).
It uses Mesa 9.2.0 + kernel 3.10.52
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-09-12 11:00:05 UTC
Wifi card = Broadcom BCM4313 802.11 BGN and I was talking about AMD A8 APU
:P I managed to boot up and run 4.4r1 for a while but then after a while I
start to get this graphic glitches and eventually my system stops
responding :( I tried a modified iso of rc1 with 10.1.1 which works fine
btw :P
pstglia
2014-09-13 12:25:51 UTC
Post by Mashnoon Ibtesum
Wifi card = Broadcom BCM4313 802.11 BGN and I was talking about AMD A8 APU
:P I managed to boot up and run 4.4r1 for a while but then after a while I
start to get this graphic glitches and eventually my system stops
responding :( I tried a modified iso of rc1 with 10.1.1 which works fine
btw :P
On kernel 3.10.x, BCM4313 is enabled by Broadcom proprietary driver "wl". I
haven't included this on 3.16 and brcmsmac (the opensource driver) is
disabled on kernel config (requires proprietary fw to work)
Will try to include it later... But you are free to do this by yourself :)
Mashnoon Ibtesum
pstglia
2014-09-14 11:11:11 UTC
Post by Mashnoon Ibtesum
Can you provide me quick instructions or point me to a resource ? :)
To make your changes, you'll have to build an Android-x86 compiling
environment. Check this instructions carefully:
http://www.android-x86.org/getsourcecode

Notes:
- Don't forget to read http://www.android-x86.org/getsourcecode and
install all the dependencies listed
- Use jdk6 (Oracle distribution) and not jdk7 (It's a common mistake)

After building your environment (and downloading all Android src with "repo
init / repo sync") you can change code and compile stuff
In your case (enable broadcom for kernel 3.16), download modded kernel src,
replace ANDROID_SRC/kernel

After this, you can download the Broadcom proprietary firmware:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and check readme file
for more details

To build your kernel, read this first:
http://www.android-x86.org/documents/customizekernel

All this procedure may seem complicated, but this is not. You just have to
read all the docs with attention, have patience and don't give up if
something goes wrong.
May the force be with you!
Mauro Rossi
2014-09-16 18:53:32 UTC
Hi,

I forgot to mention about a strangeness, when booting on Intel chipsets the
Mesa driver loaded with 3.16 kernel builds is vmwgfx gallium driver,
which seems to be treated as a valid EGL driver and takes precedence over
i915/i965.

Is it correct that in order to avoid this completely, I could simply remove
vmwgfx from BoardConfig.mk file?

Alternatively: which is the exact moment/way to use the command: export
EGL_DRIVER egl_dri2?
To be launched at first prompt, second prompt or inserted in the init.sh
script hal_gralloc() function?
Is the syntax correct?

I'm not able to force dri2 Intel drivers, because I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks

M.
rbg
2014-10-07 08:59:43 UTC
For those who had repeated BroadComm WiFi issues, a new test build
available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkVVFaaC01cWRTRkE/view?usp=sharing

WARNING: If you want to give it a try, keep in mind that:
- These changes may contain bugs that could cause DATA LOSS
- The hybrid wl driver has been replaced by the open source drivers
BRCMSMAC/b43

Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU WERE ADVISED

Please identify your broadcom chip (works/doesn't work):

on linux use lspci -k

on windows use device manager

my only available test device linksys WMP54G(v3) worked fine....need more
test cases(devices)
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-10-07 11:22:25 UTC
Tested on Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn but no luck :(
rbg
2014-10-07 11:45:35 UTC
yes that appears to be unsupported by open source drivers.....

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
rbg
2014-10-07 12:24:45 UTC
have you tried b43.blacklist=yes on the boot cmd line???
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-10-07 23:32:51 UTC
Yea no luck :( Btw how can I get the gapps on iso images like this ?
Mauro Rossi
2014-10-09 10:14:28 UTC
Hi,

in order to build ISO images you can refer to AOSP build environment setup
instructions and expecially to Android-x86 website source download and
build instructions.

Remeber to install Oracle Java 6 and not version 7 for building
Android-x86 branch kitkat-x86.

In order to add gapps on ISO, after completing the build without gapps, you
can use the attached script,
provided that you have an ISO image already having gapps.

0) download attached gapps.sh to your user Downloads folder
1) set gapps.sh attribute/permission with executable flag
2) move downloaded ISO with gapps to your user Downloads folder
3) if you use android-x86-4.4-r1.iso name, also by renaming any other 4.4.x
ISO, you don't need to modify gapps.sh script
4) check your source directory because the script declares it with this
line:

export ANDROID_BASE_SRC="/home/utente/kitkat-x86"

5) edit previous line by updating with your source folder

6) launch ./gapps.sh

7) rebuild iso_img

Cheers

Mauro

Mauro Rossi
2014-10-10 13:50:46 UTC
Correction to step 3) statement, you will have anyway to modify gapps.sh script according to step 4) and 5) instructions.

M.
rbg
2014-10-10 18:29:22 UTC
what happened to etc/permissions & frameworks & lib changes from gapps
system folder??

reason I ask is I push system from gapps,zip for given build through adb to
my device and
it all works fine....your method doesn't move any of the files from
permissions/frameworks/lib and it all works fine as well???

good to know if a fact........!!
Mauro Rossi
2014-10-13 21:41:27 UTC
Hi,

I tried once the method of copying entire /system folder extracted from a
gapps archive (gapps-kk-20140606.zip) to proper out/target/x86/ but I had
problems
the additional apps were not visible.

This procedure was suggested to me, but I'm not 100% aware of its
completness, we can complete it together

Looking
here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/google$20apps/android-x86/11n-3m1vpW4/ThkxwaeXQqEJ

also these files were suggested for copying to target with ICS, I don't
know if there were changes in JB, KK:

system/etc/permissions/features.xml
system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.media.effects.xml
system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
system/framework/com.google.android.media.effects.jar

Mauro
Сергей Трофимов
2014-10-27 18:08:28 UTC
Hello.
Compile please your image with the following drivers: WiFi rtl8723bs -
https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723ас and Touchscreen -
https://github.com/hadess/gt9хх
Your image, unlike the T100 - will not turn off at zero battery.
Tested on Onda V975w.
Sorry for my bad English.
Сергей Трофимов
2014-10-29 11:10:23 UTC
Links is bad.
New links:
Wifi rtl8723BS – https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723as
Touchscreen Goodix GT9113 – https://github.com/hadess/gt9xx
Drivers work in Ubuntu on Onda V975w.
rbg, please, compile your image -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkVVFaaC01cWRTRkE/view?usp=sharing
with these drivers.
Sorry for my bad english.

пПМеЎельМОк, 27 Пктября 2014 г., 21:08:28 UTC+3 пПльзПватель Сергей
Ravid Maduni
2014-09-24 21:53:32 UTC
someone know what is it that causing the stuck/slow launching app?
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-10-28 00:24:03 UTC
Quick question, how do I enable " b43.blacklist=yes" and can you do a gapps
version pretty please?
pstglia
2014-10-28 23:05:08 UTC
Hi,

Em segunda-feira, 27 de outubro de 2014 22h24min03s UTC-2, Mashnoon Ibtesum
Post by Mashnoon Ibtesum
Quick question, how do I enable " b43.blacklist=yes" and can you do a
gapps version pretty please?
For gapps you can do something like this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/Dhp9tYMHoCs

Note: remove also $OUT/./obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img

To blacklist a module, you can edit device/generic/x86/modules.blacklist
and add the module you want. Ex:
blacklist b43
Mashnoon Ibtesum
2014-10-28 23:56:20 UTC
Sorry but I dont have the skills to recompile android x86. Can anyone
kindly do it for me? :(
Andrew Stubbs
2014-11-23 12:24:27 UTC
I have attempted to recompile the android 5.0 sources with this kernel.
When compiling, it errors out saying No rule to make target
`out/target/product/x86/kernel', needed by
`out/target/product/x86/android_x86.iso'

Any idea's? - As soon as i delete the sources on the new kernel, and
replace the default it compiles OK.
rbg

Andrew Stubbs
2014-11-23 18:58:13 UTC
Did you download the existing patched kernel or did you manually patch yourself?
Сергей Трофимов
2014-11-23 20:07:28 UTC
Thank you.
This works on Onda V975w.
Please add these drivers:
Touchscreen - https://github.com/hadess/gt9xx
Wifi - https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723as
Accelerometer - https://github.com/hadess/iio-sensor-proxy
pstglia
2014-11-24 00:18:46 UTC
Hi
Post by Сергей Трофимов
Touchscreen - https://github.com/hadess/gt9xx
Compiled the touchscreen driver (see attached file). Can you load it
manually and check if it works (modprobe goodix.ko)?

Regards,
pstglia
Сергей Трофимов
2014-11-24 16:18:03 UTC
I copied this file in /lib/modules/3.16.1-android-x86/
modprobe goodix.ko
modprobe: module 'goodix.ko' not found

I renamed it 1.ko
modprobe 1.ko
modprobe: module 'goodix.ko' not found

insmod goodix.ko
insmod: init_module 'goodix.ko' failed (Exec format error)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
In Ubuntu all the source code compile and compiled drivers work.
Please compile the other driver, maybe they will work.
Sorry for my bad English
Post by pstglia
Hi
Сергей Трофимов
2014-11-24 16:46:07 UTC
I found the problem.
Driver version 3.16.0-android-x86.
But Android x86 5.0 is 3.16.1-android-x86 -
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/qzU0G2zz8xE/-leOh9zw5ZYJ

пПМеЎельМОк, 24 МПября 2014 г., 19:18:03 UTC+3 пПльзПватель Сергей ТрПфОЌПв
Post by Сергей Трофимов
I copied this file in /lib/modules/3.16.1-android-x86/
modprobe goodix.ko
modprobe: module 'goodix.ko' not found
I renamed it 1.ko
modprobe 1.ko
modprobe: module 'goodix.ko' not found
insmod goodix.ko
insmod: init_module 'goodix.ko' failed (Exec format error)
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
In Ubuntu all the source code compile and compiled drivers work.
Please compile the other driver, maybe they will work.
Sorry for my bad English
Post by pstglia
Hi
pstglia
2014-11-25 01:03:09 UTC
Hello again,
Post by Сергей Трофимов
I found the problem.
Driver version 3.16.0-android-x86.
But Android x86 5.0 is 3.16.1-android-x86 -
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/qzU0G2zz8xE/-leOh9zw5ZYJ
You're right. Not only kernel version. There's also the magic
numbers/symbols (modprobe --dump-modversions goodix.ko).

I've created an iso building with this goodix touchscreen driver
incorporated (Kitkat 4.4, kernel 3.16.1, Mesa 9.20 with intel classic
drivers enabled). If you want to give a try:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865faFU1Yno1NzJudFE/view?usp=sharing

Note: The kernel module is on
system/lib/modules/3.16.1-android-x86+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless. This is
because I replaced an old and unused driver (I hope!) by the goodix driver
as this is just a test.
You have to load it manually the same way you tried before

Regards,
pstglia
Сергей Трофимов
2014-11-25 09:06:54 UTC
Hello.
Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately touchscreen does not work, although it is present in the lsmod
.
goodix 3011 0 - Live 0x00000000
In the folder /dev/input new events does not appear.
ls /dev/input
event0 - keyboard
event1 - mouse
event2 - ?
event3 - ?
event4 - ?
mice - mouse
mouse0 - mouse

Please send me the source code of the kernel with patches and Intel drivers
installed on the my email (***@gmail.com). Or place them on file sharing.
Source code drivers are constantly updated. I would not be comfortable every
time ask them to compile. If I have the kernel sources, I can compile the
driver himself.
Sorry for my bad english.
pstglia
2014-11-25 16:17:24 UTC
All the sources are on github

https://github.com/pstglia/linux

One of the branches is kernel 3.16.1

Many drivers are already enabled on this (basically the same as 3.10, as I got them with a make oldconfig)

You can enable/disable mesa/drm drivers on BoardConfig.mk
Joan R. Serra
pstglia
2014-11-26 09:37:36 UTC
Post by Joan R. Serra
I have an AMD Athlon Desktop with Nvidia and a laptop with AMD E2-3800
with Radeon ... I cannot test it .... shame ...
This one uses kernel 3.16.1 + Mesa 10.1.5.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fdkZSaW4tcnpmYkE/edit?usp=sharing

Works on my hardware (AMD Radeon 5800k + 7660D) and with bugs on Nvidia
(tested on a GT 630 and 210). Maybe you can test using it...
Joan R. Serra
2014-11-27 05:28:40 UTC
I have tested with AMD Athlon X4 760 with NVidia GeForce GT610 at 1920x1080

Antutu 52072
Youtube OK at 720p
Firefox crashes
Maps Crashes
PasMark Test Crash at 2D/3D Test

THANKS for your work !!!

pd: What about CGN AMD APUS ?
pstglia
2014-11-28 02:07:13 UTC
Post by Joan R. Serra
pd: What about CGN AMD APUS ?
These requires Mesa + llvm changes to be able to compile on Android-x86.
Probably some gralloc changes are also required.
Joan R. Serra
pstglia
2014-11-28 02:09:41 UTC
Post by Joan R. Serra
Is it possible a kernel with nvidia official driver for linux ?
Unfortunately no. Unless Nvidia changes it or release source code for
community.

Our only hope is nouveau...
Joan R. Serra
2014-11-28 10:35:30 UTC
is it not possible to add to kernel a package from NVidia ? The same as we
do in Ubuntu, or to add the module with Nvidia drivers to kernel?

Thanks
http://www.twitter.com/joanr <https://twitter.com/joanr>
<http://www.facebook.com/jrserra>
rbg
2014-11-24 02:51:52 UTC
did you add it as dual-boot with windows 8.1???

does it use uEFI or BIOS????
Post by Сергей Трофимов
Thank you.
This works on Onda V975w.
Сергей Трофимов
2014-11-24 13:51:24 UTC
Yes, its dualboot with Windows 8.1.
On Onda V975w install 32-bit UEFI BIOS.
On the tablet was able to run and install:
Fedora (Fedlet) -
https://www.happyassassin.net/fedlet-a-fedora-remix-for-bay-trail-tablets/
Ubuntu (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.) - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
Linux Mint - http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Android x86.
How to start:
Connect to the tablet USB-hub and connect it to the mouse and keyboard.
Download the ISO image, extract it to a flash drive.
Unpack the archive to a flash drive:
For Android x86 - https://yadi.sk/d/gixuNvMHcuE6g
For Ubuntu (Linux Mint, Ksubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.) -
https://yadi.sk/d/3x6LnFlXcuE6r
Plug in a USB flash drive to the USB-hub.
Go into the BIOS and booted from the stick.

Sorry for my bad English(Google Translate)
Post by rbg
did you add it as dual-boot with windows 8.1???
does it use uEFI or BIOS????
Post by Сергей Трофимов
Thank you.
This works on Onda V975w.
Сергей Трофимов
rbg
2014-11-25 00:09:12 UTC
the source code is android-x86 first lollipop-x86 release, we have since
moved onto the 5.0.0_r7 release which
is very much the same, you can sync either from their git I assume.....
(IMO you'd be better off with the latest 5.0.0_r7 release)

the kernel is here in this thread, we provided the patches to Pstglia's
original 3.16.0 kernel to upgrade
it to 3.16.1, which he used as I recall to update his kernel...which is
available from his github pointer listed here also...

we do have some backups here which I'll check over the upcoming
thanksgiving holiday......

there was one thing I do recall though.....the Boardconfig.mk had a driver
that was provided by someone
and was incorporated.....in kernel 3.16.1 it was "out of staging or where
ever we got it from" and part of the regular
kernel 3.16.1, so we had to disabled it in Boardconfig.mk and enabled it in
kernel defconfig for a correct build....

the defconfig we used was always from the provided kernel supplied by an
android-x86 sync....with any changes like
the one referred to above and others mentioned by testers in this
forum..........(multitouch/ntrig etc.)
pstglia
2014-11-23 19:48:37 UTC
Em domingo, 23 de novembro de 2014 10h24min27s UTC-2, Andrew Stubbs
Post by Andrew Stubbs
I have attempted to recompile the android 5.0 sources with this kernel.
When compiling, it errors out saying No rule to make target
`out/target/product/x86/kernel', needed by
`out/target/product/x86/android_x86.iso'
Any idea's? - As soon as i delete the sources on the new kernel, and
replace the default it compiles OK.
Had the same problem when compiling Lollipop with 3.16 . Removed Android.mk
from kernel dir and could compile it.
Andrew Stubbs
André Vitor
2014-11-26 04:20:05 UTC
Hi rbg, can you post the rtl8723au's drivers that you used into this
ISO? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkbTlFZmd0WWxmdE0/view

I've been trying to get this working, but everytime I run my ISO, the wifi
start turning on and never get to it.

Thanks in advance.
André Vitor
2014-11-29 01:33:45 UTC
nvm, I got this working.

For people who have rtl8723au as wifi driver and it doesn't work, do those
~/kernel/arch/x86/configs
android-x86_defconfig
Change "# CONFIG_R8723AU is not set" to "CONFIG_R8723AU=m"
~/device/generic/common
BoardConfig.mk
Erase 8723au from TARGET_EXTRA_KERNEL_MODULES.
Notice that this will only work on this kernel 3.16.

Em quarta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2014 01h20min05s UTC-3, André Vitor
pstglia
2014-12-01 23:41:34 UTC
Post by André Vitor
For people who have rtl8723au as wifi driver and it doesn't work, do those
~/kernel/arch/x86/configs
android-x86_defconfig
Change "# CONFIG_R8723AU is not set" to "CONFIG_R8723AU=m"
~/device/generic/common
BoardConfig.mk
Erase 8723au from TARGET_EXTRA_KERNEL_MODULES.
Notice that this will only work on this kernel 3.16.
Thanks for the hint Andre!
Greg McGee
2015-01-12 10:03:51 UTC
the goodix touchscreen and the rtl8723au are (iirc) used on the Microcenter
Winbook tablets, which seem to be nice hardware otherwise.
The wifi and BT are on the same chip, are both working yet?

The Winbooks do have a full size USB3 port, so adding a dongle if you
really need BT should be possible.
André Vitor
Austen Huffman
2015-01-19 08:29:10 UTC
I know it might be a stupid question, but how would I go along to get the
MicroCenter Winbook TW801 working correctly. The WiFI (Realtek RTL8723BS
Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter) won't work along with Bluetooth
(I don't know, Windows Device Manager has no info.) The Goodix
Touchscreenworks fine in the Android 4.4 rc2 EFI Image.
nguyen ngoc thang
2016-03-27 14:32:48 UTC
Hi pstglia,
I'm an android newbie. I have a question about porting custom kernel to android x86. If I want to use your kernel 3.16 with android lollipop 5.1.1, What do I do? Can you get some guides for me, pls?

Thanks and Brg!

ThangNN
pstglia
2016-03-29 18:50:37 UTC
Hi,

Hi pstglia,
Post by nguyen ngoc thang
I'm an android newbie. I have a question about porting custom kernel to
android x86. If I want to use your kernel 3.16 with android lollipop 5.1.1,
What do I do? Can you get some guides for me, pls?
Thanks and Brg!
Basically, you have to:

1) Replace kernel directory by the kernel source you want to compile
2) Include Android makefiles on it (kernel/Android.mk, in this case)
3) Create a Android kernel config for your target. To do this, I basically
run on root source directory (assuming your target is lollipop with 64 bits
build):

. build/envsetup.sh
lunch lollipop-x86-eng
make -C kernel O=$OUT/obj/kernel ARCH=*x86_64* oldconfig

4) After running the cmds above, I copy $OUT/obj/kernel/.config to
kernel/arch/x86/configs/android-x86_64_defconfig

5) At least, this patch is mandatory to enable booting your kernel (HACK:
drm: disable GPU authentication):
https://sourceforge.net/p/android-x86/kernel/ci/6daa9a6a4b9727ed2f3567199130f336e8bd810a/

Maybe some more details are required, but basically that's it from what I
recall

Use this to have more details:
http://www.android-x86.org/documents/customizekernel
thangnn
2016-03-31 07:16:52 UTC
Thanks pstglia,
I replaced android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9) by your kernel
(v3.16_android) as your guides and compiled complete.
But I can't boot it. I can use debug mode, only console not graphic. I
think that it has problem with graphic. But I can not get log msg. I'm
using stb intel Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F, baytrail audio.
With android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9), get from
http://www.android-x86.org, I can boot complete. But, drivers is good
with kernel 3.10 - 3.16. So I want to downgrade the kernel.

Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
pstglia
2016-03-31 14:24:57 UTC
Post by thangnn
Thanks pstglia,
I replaced android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9) by your kernel
(v3.16_android) as your guides and compiled complete.
But I can't boot it. I can use debug mode, only console not graphic. I
think that it has problem with graphic. But I can not get log msg. I'm
using stb intel Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F, baytrail audio.
With android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9), get from
http://www.android-x86.org, I can boot complete. But, drivers is good
with kernel 3.10 - 3.16. So I want to downgrade the kernel.
From the time we prepared this kernel version, we were using different
libdrm and mesa versions. Maybe the newer versions are incompatible with
this old kernel version. If that's the case, you should downgrade mesa and
libdrm too.
Take a look at dmesg / logcat

By the way: What is your hardware you have and specifically which drivers
works better with 3.16 than current version?
thangnn
2016-04-01 01:52:15 UTC
Should I downgrade mesa and libdrm to android-x86 4.4.4?I will try it.
If I boot normal, I can not get logcat/dmesg. Because of it always
reboot after detecting android x86 and found dev/sda1...
Audio driver works better with 3.16 than 4.0.9. With version 4.0.9, I
can't find audio device (baytrail audio for hdmi & jack 3.5). And every
patch files for kernel 3.10-3.16.

Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
Post by thangnn
Thanks pstglia,
I replaced android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9) by your kernel
(v3.16_android) as your guides and compiled complete.
But I can't boot it. I can use debug mode, only console not
graphic. I think that it has problem with graphic. But I can not
get log msg. I'm using stb intel Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F, baytrail audio.
With android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9), get from
http://www.android-x86.org, I can boot complete. But, drivers is
good with kernel 3.10 - 3.16. So I want to downgrade the kernel.
From the time we prepared this kernel version, we were using different
thangnn
2016-04-01 02:12:05 UTC
Hi pstglia,
Audio driver with id is HAD0F28 (for hdmi) & AMCR0F28 (jack 3.5)

Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
Post by thangnn
Thanks pstglia,
I replaced android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9) by your kernel
(v3.16_android) as your guides and compiled complete.
But I can't boot it. I can use debug mode, only console not
graphic. I think that it has problem with graphic. But I can not
get log msg. I'm using stb intel Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F, baytrail audio.
With android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9), get from
http://www.android-x86.org, I can boot complete. But, drivers is
good with kernel 3.10 - 3.16. So I want to downgrade the kernel.
From the time we prepared this kernel version, we were using different
pstglia
2016-04-01 11:40:45 UTC
Hi pstglia,
Post by thangnn
Audio driver with id is HAD0F28 (for hdmi) & AMCR0F28 (jack 3.5)
Thanks & Best regards!
AMCR0F28 is the acpi id for intel machine driver. Codec / Dsp should be
Realtek or max device.

cat /proc/asound/cards can show you more info
thangnn
2016-04-01 04:18:50 UTC
Hi pstglia,
to downgrade mesa and libdrm, Can you get some guides for me, pls?
Now, I replace folders external/drm, external/mesa, hardware/drm_gralloc
by android 4.4.4 version. With hardware/intel/img/libdrm, I don't know
how to replace it.

Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
Post by thangnn
Thanks pstglia,
I replaced android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9) by your kernel
(v3.16_android) as your guides and compiled complete.
But I can't boot it. I can use debug mode, only console not
graphic. I think that it has problem with graphic. But I can not
get log msg. I'm using stb intel Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F, baytrail audio.
With android x86 lollipop kernel (4.0.9), get from
http://www.android-x86.org, I can boot complete. But, drivers is
good with kernel 3.10 - 3.16. So I want to downgrade the kernel.
From the time we prepared this kernel version, we were using different
pstglia
2016-04-01 11:38:14 UTC
Hi pstglia,
Post by thangnn
to downgrade mesa and libdrm, Can you get some guides for me, pls?
Now, I replace folders external/drm, external/mesa, hardware/drm_gralloc
by android 4.4.4 version. With hardware/intel/img/libdrm, I don't know how
to replace it.
Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
Just replace external/mesa and external/libdrm from an older version
(preferable matching the version used on 3.16)

About hardware/intel/img/libdrm: This directory doesn't exists (at least on
sources/builds I use)
thangnn
2016-04-01 14:46:40 UTC
from previous msgs, I replaced external/mesa and external/libdrm by
android 4.4_r3. But it has the same error. I'm continuous checking it.
I cat /proc/asound/cards but I don't see AMCR0F28 and HAD0F28. So I can
not probe drivers.

Thanks & Best regards!
Thang, Nguyen Ngoc
(at least on sources/builds I use
pstglia
2016-04-02 11:21:59 UTC
Post by thangnn
android 4.4_r3. But it has the same error. I'm continuous checking it.
I cat /proc/asound/cards but I don't see AMCR0F28 and HAD0F28. So I can
not probe drivers.
Just to confirm: This kernel src was prepared for a 32 bits build. This is
your target right? (32 bits)
nguyen ngoc thang
2016-04-03 01:40:50 UTC
Oh NO, My target is 64 bits. But I think that it supports 32 bits too.

Virus-free.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

With the best regards !
Nguyen Ngoc Thang