android-x86 and lxc-android
Jose Luis s
2016-09-30 14:54:22 UTC
Hi all.

Does anybody play with LXC-android?, I've came across recently with this
info :

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Mobile/CyanogenModBase

And thinking about it, I wonder if it's possible to have a android-x86 or
CM13 rootfs, tho get it working in a lxc running in a prexisting Android
(kernel) running. (an Android-ia kernel in a baytrail tablet, v3.10 if I
recall it). Of course not sure if a so "old" kernel will it run CM13 or
android-x86, and of course if it have all prerequisites.

How can I have a working rootfs of android-x86 and or CM13? probably is not
only decompiling system.sfs.
Thanks
Hypo Turtle
2016-09-30 15:27:06 UTC
That link is arm based; essentially a chroot into Plasma

There's an x86 version here: https://plasma-mobile.org/intel-based-devices/
No need for any Android stuff - it's essentially just a linux/Arch build
Jose Luis s
2016-09-30 16:38:03 UTC
Understood, but my aim is to have a working android-ia kernel (in android
4.4.4) in a more updated Marshmalow android-x86 or CM13, via LXC, maybe a
x86 LXC version does the magic. Actually is only a way to circumvent my
issues with android-x86 kernels or Maurossi and my evil baytrail tablets.
Not sure if to have LXC working is necessary to have a special kernel
option active or not, I've not found nothing special.

Thanks

Hypo Turtle
2016-09-30 17:37:30 UTC
From the link you posted with the CMBase - it's pretty clear what they are
doing for the arm devices is a chroot; Ubuntu Touch did the same thing at
least initially - not sure how they handled things before giving up.
Essentially take the device specific stuff {kernel modules] and then
instead of loading an android system you load a Linux GNU
img/sfs/partition. The caveat being; and most relevant in your case, that
the stock kernel needs to be able to run the system.

The kernel the x86 Plasma is running is 4.1.6-1-ARCH btw.

You could try to either turn the Ax86 ramdisk/kernel into a A-IA boot.img
with your kernel/modules or the reverse and turn your kernel/modules into
the Ax86 structure; but doubt-full it'll work. Likely due to the
kernel/device restiction and requirements added by Google/Alphabet/Android

Also just fyi the system 'should' boot with just the kernel - things
requiring modules (keyboard,touchscreen,wifi etc.) won't but the display
and system should boot up fine with out them
Jose Luis s
2016-09-30 19:48:14 UTC
Hi Hypo.

Thanks for your comment and help.

Yes it's for ARM compilation, Nexus5, so LXC containers binaries will not
work in a x86 hw.
I agree it seems like a chroot, but only seems, actually is a kind of
virtualization:

lxc-start -n system -F, starts the container system and take it "at front", but you can also start a container and not to "attach" to it, its like a Vz container in some way, you can start your WM without doing any VNC as done with Ubuntu Touch at the beginning.

So if I'm not wrong, there is nothing to do with turning kernels from one Ax86 to A-IA or viceversa, I's more a reuse of a A-IA kernel with a rootfs containing Android-x86 or CM13.

But to be honest I'm not quite sure, this will work, that's why I ask for some previous experience.

Anyway

From the link you posted with the CMBase - it's pretty clear what they are
Hypo Turtle
2016-09-30 23:18:27 UTC
Yea I'm probably using 'chroot' wrong. I see anything that needs
mounts/ln's from one system for another to run as being a chroot - i.e.
Android structure to Linux/GNU structure or vice versa.

Androidx86 itself *is *a* chroot*, with the chroot system being the
*ramdisk.img* and *system.img/sfs* - and those are what would be your *rootfs.
*With the first root system being the *initrd.img*

The point about the kernels is that the modules are loaded in a different
way in IA-A than Ax86 I believe, so you'd need to adjust accordingly.
Post by Jose Luis s
[...]
Post by Hypo Turtle
From the link you posted with the CMBase - it's pretty clear what they
are doing for the arm devices is a chroot; Ubuntu Touch did the same thing
Jose Luis s
2016-10-01 11:07:19 UTC
In this case, not sure about modules load; I mean:

I've looked into:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/plasma-phone-packaging/CM/master/lxc-system-config

this is the lxc configuration file for active mobile, there is not mention
about changing root and it's pretty simple.

Also looked into:

http://mobile.neon.pangea.pub:8080/job/img_phone_xenial_armhf/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/result/livecd..rootfs.tar.gz

The rootfs, and there is no modules at all (as it supposed to be).

So in this scenario I think there is no modules loading process, they are
already loaded in the Host android, lxc there is only a mountin process of
some filesystems (obviously rootfs among them).

I would like to dive into, but unluckily I've not found a lxc-android x86
compilation, and existing packages are for ubuntu (probably some
dependencies not met), Does anybody how to compile a makefile src in
Android, if it is possible?

Thanks
Post by Hypo Turtle
root system being the initrd.img
Not exactly.
In debug mode we use chroot.
In non-debug mode, switchroot is used.
That means the original rootfs in initrd
is eliminated and android init is the real
init process (pid 1).
Post by Hypo Turtle
way in IA-A than Ax86 I believe, so you'd need to adjust accordingly.
Actually now we use the same method developed by android-ia,
(i.e., patched ueventd). Search "module loading" in the list for more
details.
Jian Wu
2016-10-01 14:55:20 UTC
Jose Luis sæ–Œ 2016幎10月1日星期六 UTC+8䞋午7時07分20秒寫道
Post by Jose Luis s
[...]
Hi Jose,

This thread attracts me. I'd try to answer your questions in short.
*is anyone trying to run android-x86 in lxc? Yes, me
*regarding to lxc-android, I guess you're talking about prebuild lxc.tar.gz mentioned in this post https://www.stgraber.org/2013/12/23/lxc-1-0-some-more-advanced-container-usage/. In this post there are two similiar-term but different technologies, android container and lxc on android. Android container is about how to encapsulate android(-x86) image into a lxc container. Lxc on android is about porting lxc(commmands, libs...) into aosp. I am not sure which one you are addressing, or maybe both?
*don't understand module (kernel module?) issue. Since I am late to the post, would you summarize your requirement in few lines? Appreciated.
Jose Luis s
2016-10-03 11:48:27 UTC
Hello Jian.

You're right, Both.

First of all, my aim is to use a complete working Android.IA kernel in my
Chuwi tablets (running android 4.4.4) to run Android-x86 or CM13 in a lxc
container, so both. I'm not very skilled in this area, I guess lxc is
similar to openvz, so I assume no issues with kernel modules.
I search this aproach to circunvent all issues with Android-x86 kernel with
baytrail tablets, of course if I had a complete working kernel (i mean
complete as a kernel with my minimum modules working; touchscreen, audio,
sensors, gps, battery manager etc), I do not research this option.

I only found a lxc-android for arm and of course sources and PPA packages
for debian-ubuntu derivatives. Also I wonder how to make a android-x86 or
CM13 lxc container with system.sfs initrd.img etc.

Hope you get further than me....
Post by Jose Luis s
I would like to dive into, but unluckily I've not found a lxc-android
x86 compilation, and existing packages are for ubuntu (probably some
dependencies not met), Does anybody how to compile a makefile src in
Android, if it is possible?
Post by Jose Luis s
Thanks
T.C 吳天健
2016-10-03 13:40:24 UTC
Jose,
I am not familiar with openvz. But if openvz is based on linux namespace,
cgroup, then they are in the same domain of technology.
Regarding to lxc-android (lxc on android) , as Gyorgy said you may check
'maru os'. I roughly read its external/lxc its integrated well. Though
it's only tested on Nexus 5 (arm device) in the beginning you may modify
Android.mk to replace cross-compiler.
The other topic is android container (run android in a lxc container). I
plan to modify kernel of ubuntu to include features such as ashmem to
support android. Before recompile kernel I copied android-x86 rootfs to
copy target/product/x86/rootfs /var/lib/lxc/android
lxc-start -n android
I also simplify init.rc
on init
start adbd
start dhcpcd_eth0
And I successfully login a android adb shell
NAME STATE AUTOSTART GROUPS IPV4 IPV6
minidroid RUNNING 0 - 10.0.3.150 -
connected to 10.0.3.150:5555
1400 ./sbin
16 ./cache
112 ./mnt
1106896 ./system
320 ./data
8 ./config
0 ./proc
8 ./acct
16 ./tmp
56 ./storage
256 ./dev
0 ./sys
1110352 .
My next step is to recompile host kernel and run full set of android-x86.
I would like to have more people joining this work and we may share
thoughts.
Jia
2016-10-26 13:28:56 UTC
Hello Jian.
I am trying to run android-x86 in a lxc container.
But I am not familiar with android-x86, I don't know how to get the
android-x86 rootfs.
And I am trying to compile kernel for android-x86.
Could you help me?
Thanks a lot.

圚 2016幎10月3日星期䞀 UTC+8䞋午9:40:53Jian Wu写道
T.C 吳天健
2016-11-11 06:04:56 UTC
Per android-x86 4.4 roofs files are in out/target/product/x86/root/
, out/target/product/x86/system ,out/target/product/x86/data/. Since when
lxc-start execute "/init" the kernel were prepared already, initrd.img is
not needed.

Another approach is using out/target/product/x86/android_x86.iso to install
it on a vm disk. And use adb/tar tools to pull the rootfs in vm.
T.C 吳天健
2016-11-11 06:07:59 UTC
Post by Jia
And I am trying to compile kernel for android-x86.
btw, the regular build process will automatically trigger a lot of build
including build asop, building kernel ,etc

If you want to specifically build the kernel you might check this page:
http://www.android-x86.org/documents/customizekernel
Jia
2016-10-31 12:52:41 UTC
Hi,
I am trying to run android-x86 in a lxc container.
I compiled the android-x86 4.4.4-r2 and copy the android-x86 rootfs to
/var/lib/lxc/android
when I start the android lxc container, some processes could start, like
lxc-attach -n android /system/bin/ps
USER PID PPID VSIZE RSS WCHAN PC NAME
root 1 0 820 608 ffffffff 08062e06 S /init
root 3 1 752 4 ffffffff 08062e06 S /sbin/ueventd
media_rw 24 1 4028 392 ffffffff f7758361 S /system/bin/sdcard
root 28 1 1700 4 ffffffff 0806dff0 S /sbin/adbd
root 30 1 5492 736 ffffffff 55618361 S /system/bin/vold
install 36 1 1572 480 ffffffff 555e8953 S /system/bin/installd
root 39 1 1548 220 ffffffff 5561b790 S /system/bin/sh
root 64 0 1892 528 00000000 f76ef166 R /system/bin/ps

But servicemanager couldn't start.
init : untracked pid xxx exited.
servicemanager exit 4 times in 4 minutes, rebooting into recovery mode.
And I get the log by running adb logcat.

I search the Internet, but I couldn't found the solution.
Couldn't someone help me?
Any suggestion is ok.

nfsnfs
2016-11-10 06:59:33 UTC
Hi,

I think your servicemanager crashed because of binder.
A binder driver only allows one servicemanager to register as context
manager.

Best regards,
nfsnfs
Hi,
Jose Luis s
2016-09-30 16:40:18 UTC
I forgot; AFAIK is not a Chroot is more a virtualization similar to VZ
containers, at kernel level, not full virtualization like KVM, that's why I
wonder if is it necessary some kernel options.....

György Pejović
2016-10-01 16:12:58 UTC
https://github.com/maruos/platform_external_lxc
spin877
2016-10-02 15:31:47 UTC
it would be more interesting, if it were reversed.
From linux/ubuntu to start a copy of andorid-x86 or CM
would, BlueStacks much faster.

P.S.

We should solve many "problems" type CONFIG_NO_GPU_AUTHENTICATION etc.etc.