Host-Only ADB Connection
John Hubler
2017-03-30 23:25:07 UTC
I have Android 6.0 r2 installed in VMWare Workstation 12 Pro. I have set up
the VM to use a Host-Only network under Virtual Machine Settings. When I
went to check the VM's ip address I pressed:

Alt+F1, then typed adb shell ifconfig wlan0

It returned with an error saying "/system/bin/sh: adb: not found." See
attachment for an screenshot. How do I find out the VM's ip address, as I
would like a local connection to my PC? Thanks
John Hubler
2017-04-09 01:23:09 UTC
It worked. Thanks! I have a NAT network interface (eth0), that is working
fine. But now I need to add another interface as a Host-Only (eth1). If I
activate this second network, when I boot the VM the eth0 always starts as
DOWN. Why does it starts as *DOWN* when I have two interfaces? How can I
make both of them *UP* on boot? Thank again!
Xuefer H
2017-04-29 16:26:55 UTC
or use:
dhcpcd eth0
dhcpcd eth1
etc
Post by John Hubler
both of them UP on boot? Thank again!
No idea why eth0 is DOWN.
But basically speaking android(-x86) only support one
Ethernet interface (eth0) at the moment.
If you want to use more, you need to configure
them manually (by ifconfig, of course)
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
John Hubler
2017-05-06 18:31:08 UTC
Thanks for the information. I recently downloaded Android 6.0 r3. When I
boot up the VM, eth0 starts up automatically and I can access the internet
(NAT.) However, I got to configure eth1 (Host Only) manually. I used
dhcpcd eth1 to get eth1 up .See the attachment for a screenshot. I tried
connecting my PC to the Android VM through eth1 via ADB. Unfortunately,
the ip address did not respond. How can I get eth1 to respond? Thanks!
John Hubler
John Hubler
Henri Koivuneva
2017-05-13 09:27:14 UTC
I got it working this way with android-x86 6.0r3:

1. Create VM normally if it doesn't yet exist
2. Power off the VM if it's on
3. Go to it's Settings -> Network
4. Change Adapter 2 to *BRIDGED ADAPTER (!)*, not NAT/host only
5. Start the VM
6. Press CTRL + ALT F1 to open terminal
7. Write these commands in the terminal:
1. *dhcpcd eth1*
2. *ifconfig* -- write down the IP address to paper or notepad etc.
3. *setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555*
8. Open CMD as admin: right-click Windows button and select command
prompt (administrator)
9. Write these commands in admin CMD:
1. *ping IP* -- for example mine was 192.168.100.111, this is to
check if it's connectable
2. *adb tcpip 5555* -- tell adb to listen to the network port 5555
that was set in the VM
3. *adb connect IP:5555 --* for example 192.168.100.111:5555
10. Now you should be connected. Go back to Android with CTRL + ALT + F7
and enjoy -- or do your magic with adb.

Works well for me! I also tested it with my Nougat build
<https://goo.gl/oNlXo8>, works perfectly over WiFi on a real device. Bonus:
If you try the nougat build, please test if Netflix works for you.
Especially downloading stuff..testing how widevine drm blobs
<https://github.com/hkoivuneva/device_generic_common/commit/b146b4d724504a63146af7c4c0b9fa5f3679cb0f>
work in Android-x86. If you get a green screen or artifacts, open terminal
with CTRL + ALT + F1 and write *setprop media.sf.hwaccel 0* to disable hardware
acceleration
<https://sourceforge.net/p/android-x86/device_generic_common/ci/2a47183e143e7dc532702e4d20e1053d8304a01c/>,
it's currently broken on my Surface Pro 3 at least but the old software
decoding (is it that?) works.

ADB sources:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/13184/how-to-use-virtualbox-as-a-sqlserver-host
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2604727/how-can-i-connect-to-android-with-adb-over-tcp

THANK YOU Chih-Wei Huang for making Android-x86 work in a VM on my PC! I
had troubles because of NVIDIA GTX 1080 card earlier but now the VM works!
Thank you! Not sure if I dare try native yet haha! :D Maybe when kernel
4.12 comes out.
John Hubler
2017-05-13 18:12:37 UTC
Thanks for the information. However, I cannot get internet connection in
Android. Both eth0(NAT) and eth1(Bridged) are up using dhcpcd ethX. Can I
get internet access through eth0, then use eth1 for ADB? Thanks!
John Hubler
Henri Koivuneva
John Hubler