Date and time are completely messed up in Android x86 4.0 RC2 ...
Amogh Harish
2012-08-12 15:59:17 UTC
I'm not sure of the exact BIOS menu on Samsung's. Never used one. If you
can send me a picture of it on G+(You added me), I'll see what I can do to
rectify that problem.

Amogh
Alright! Installed Android x86 4.0 RC2 Tega v2 on my Samsung N150 netbook
3 times and at all times I am seeing a very simple thing: time and date ARE
messed up, at least on my netbook.
I convinced a few friends to install Android x86 on their netbooks. I even
asked a person I got to know on G+ to check the time on his Android x86
installations. 2 of these people are using a Dell Mini, one is using an AMD
Brazos based ISO to run on his ASUS net/note-book and 3 are using the
standard ASUS Eee PC Android-x86 ISO to run on their ASUS Atom based
netbooks. And none of them are seeing any problem with date and time on
their installations, so this has to be something in my setup! (I am very
sad at this point in time!)
Just for your reference, here are the things I tried: I did a clean
install of Android x86 4.0 RC2 Tega v2 on my Samsung N150 netbook with NO
autosync enabled at installation time.
Install #1: Clock and date set manually
Install #2: Clock and date untouched ... whatever it picked up from the
BIOS is what it got
Install #3: Same as #2 but with network sync enabled in "Settings" (no
extra apps this time)
1. The time display in the status bar NEVER UPDATES. Whatever time it
picks up at boot up time is what it shows ... forever till I shutdown the
netbook.
2. The stock clock app (preinstalled with Android x86 4.0 RC2 Tega v2)
shows a time that updates EVERY 5 minutes!! So, if it shows 12:12 pm, then
it jumps to 12:17 pm after 5 minutes, then to 12:22 pm after another 5
minutes ... and so on.
3. Alarms set in the stock clock app NEVER fire!
Looks like I will have to revert the netbook to Fedora/Ubuntu
installation. And looks like the netbook is going to go back onto the shelf
... unused for some more time!! :(
But, I really liked the Android x86 4.0 RC2 Tega v2. If only time had
worked better on my Samsung N150, I would have been thrilled. I am looking
forward to trying out the next version of Android x86.
Thanks a lot CWH for creating a fantastic and fun and "actually useful"
implementation of Android for x86. I will try it again in the next release.
Rgds
Mahesh
Android implements time auto sync by signals
from the mobile network (gsm or cdma).
You may read the code in NetworkTimeUpdateService.java
to understand how it works.
On android-x86 unless you have a working 3G modem,
it won't work.
For the other problems you describe,
I never encountered. My time is correct
and updated regularly (provided the
BIOS time is correct).
I never try ClockSync.
CWHuang himself!!!???? Cool! Thanks a lot for looking into this issue.
And
thanks for the reply.
Yes, you are right. I chose the "auto sync" option at install.
It is ok if auto sync doesn't work (although I would wonder why it
wouldn't
work on a PC but it would work on a phone), but, why are my date+time
completely off the mark??? :( And why does the time shown in the status
bar
never get updated? :(
More importantly, how do I fix this now? Any tips would be greatly
appreciated.
As mentioned earlier, none of my other antics (ClockSync app, manually
setting the time-zone+date+time, etc) generated a favorable result. I
would
really like to see time-in-status-bar being updated regularly, my
"clock
app" working nicely and firing alarms at my chosen time, and my notes
not
being dated+timed randomly (on evernote, atkpad, etc).
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Jim
2012-08-17 00:35:49 UTC
I'm having the same issue on my Acer D255E netbook. Also using the Tega v2
iso. My BIOS only has entries for time and date, no place to input time
zone. Keeps and updates time correctly when booted to Windows 8 Release
Preview. However, when booted to Android, both the clock in the lower
right and the big clock refuse to update. The system is keeping correct
time as any downloads have the correct time stamp, but the displayed clocks
are not updating. Neither do they update when I manually change the time.
I'm willing to run some experiments if anyone has recommendations.
Thanks!
Mahesh RS

Jim
2012-08-17 17:13:29 UTC
Some more details that may aid in the hunt for root cause:
* the app Alarm Clock Xtreme will come up with the proper time when
activated, but will not advance
* the live wallpaper Neon Clock GL does keep the proper time though
(built-in clock in lower right appears to be stuck, never advances)
Steven
2012-08-20 11:56:35 UTC
I can confirm this issue. I have the Dell Duo with Android X86 4.0 RC2
installed. I have the same odd clock issues. here are some additional
notes:

Clock widgets will show whatever time they are setup. if you remove and
re-ad them then the time will be updated, but they will not continue to
update.
Clock in the settings menu (system/date & time) shows the correct time and
date each time you go into the settings menu. however, it does not update
if you leave the settings screen open.

I assume that it grabs the bios time and displays the time when the
settings are displayed but there is some basic background task that keeps
the clocks updated that is not running.
Mark Bunds
2012-08-27 18:02:16 UTC
I can also confirm this behavior on a Dell Inspiron Duo. The clock never
updates on its own, but if I manually rotate the screen from portrait to
landscape, or vice-versa, the clock updates. The clock also updates if I go
to settings, and then change the time zone to another, and back. If it
weren't for the clock and accelerometer, I would consider RC2 fully
functional for the Duo.
Winner61
2012-09-24 09:31:42 UTC
The latest build from tabletsx86.org does not have this issue. It works very well but on that build there is no calendar for some reason. Does anyone know why?
Thanks.
Mahesh RS
Tim Kowalsky
2012-08-20 20:48:06 UTC
I've installed the tegav2 ISO of the ICS R2 on an ExoPC. I see the same
clock freezing issue. The clock does not update.

May be unrelated, but I'm also seeing problems with screen rotation. If an
app forces the screen to rotate from landscape to portrait, the screen
doesn't rotate back to landscape.
- I have to open the full Settings application, and go to Display. I have
to toggle Auto Rotation off, then on again.
- Toggling Auto Rotation off then on again, in the pull up menu from the
status bar, does nothing when this happens.
How did you set up
"sync date and time during installation"?
I don't think our installer has this feature.
If you meant the auto time in the Settings,
it won't work. The feature only works on
a real phone - it syncs time from your operator.
http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/issues/detail?id=940
So, I installed android-x86 4.0 rc2.0 on a real system: a samsung n150
netbook. My n150 configuration is as follows: Intel single-core Atom,
2GB
RAM, 160GB HDD, 10" screen, Wifi, etc. The entire HDD has been formatted
into a single partition and has ext3 file system on it for Android-x86.
During installation I set the system to sync date and time with time
servers. I always do this with all my Fedora laptops, so I did that on
this
system as well.
Well, I was hoping that like with all other systems (all Linux distros,
Windows, Mac, Android phones, etc) that support syncing date+time over
the
net with global time servers, android-x86 4.0 rc2.0 running on the REAL
system would be able to sync and then show me the correct and accurate
time,
BUT THAT IS NOT HAPPENING at least on my system.
I played around with this problem for the past few days and here are
various
I set the time-zone manually. Date+Time sync does NOT work.
I set the time manually and disabled sync. Date+Time sync does NOT work.
I installed clocksync from the Google Play Store. ClockSync tells me
that my
system's clock is completely off, but, it never sets things correctly.
NOTE
that the ClockSync display shows the correct date and time when it is
set to
sync with ntp servers. But, ClockSync is unable to change the date and
time
on my system even though it has SuperUser access to my system.
So, basically, the date and time on Android-x86 4.0 RC 2.0 running on my
Samsung N150 netbook are completely off and therefore completely
useless.
Any help in fixing this problem ASAP would be greatly appreciated. (But,
have a bad feeling that we will have to wait for RC 3.0 for this to work
correctly.)
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Mahesh RS
2012-08-21 09:30:00 UTC
http://code.google.com/p/**android-x86/issues/detail?id=**940<http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/issues/detail?id=940>
[...]
(But, I
Tim Kowalsky
2012-08-27 02:06:17 UTC
I've done a complete wipe, and reformat the hard drive on my ExoPC, then
reinstalled the tegav2 ICS R2. I still see the same three problems:

1. The clock in the status bar does not update, at all. The same is true
for widgets that show the time.

2. The rotation issue I mentioned above. (When forced to portait by an
app, the screen sticks in portrait.)

3. If I go to Google Play, I see all of my previously used apps. However,
any app I previously purchased now shows the price again. If I attempt to
re-purchase any of these apps, Google Play gives me an error message.
Google Play will not let me install previously purchased apps. Free apps
are all available. Free apps can be downloaded, and installed,
successfully.

Is there any possibility we might see an update to address the problems
with the tegav2 ICS RC2?
Stefan Matthäus
2012-10-03 12:54:25 UTC
I have WeTab which is the same as ExoPc and I am running the latest build
from wetab-community.de and there no problem with the clock. That build is
based on 4.0.4 rc2 tegav2 device tree.

(The only thing is that the clock widget on the homescreen crashes and
restart just after login)
Winner61
2012-08-27 11:11:11 UTC
Same behaviour on my Viewpad10. Just put in a new CR-2032 battery so it
keeps the bios time but the next day it's seems to be drained allready,
anybody else here with that issue?
If the time is not correct I can not connect to the market and many other
quirks.
I can not set the time manually and with ClockSync it does not sync the
internal time but funny enough the other way around, so the atomic time (in
the app ofcourse ;-).)
Mariano Dimauro