Some questions regarding grub installation and networking for Android x86 4.2 20130228
Mario Ray Mahardhika
2013-04-07 15:51:52 UTC
Hello,
I've just installed Android x86 4.2 20130228 to my PC and I have several
questions:

1. I choose not to install GRUB for safety, because I'm not sure whether
it will install to MBR or just to root partition. Please confirm this
because I might need to install it anyway to make it boot from my current
GRUB(2).
2. Since this release is universal, what value should I pass
to androidboot.hardware in GRUB(2) menu entry? Or better, please give the
whole menu entry.
3. I can't make networking works on real computer, it works fine in
emulator (KVM) even though Wi-Fi is disabled by using user mode network
stack.

Best Regards,

Mario Ray M.
2013-04-11 00:34:19 UTC
Add it to your Grub(2) boot menu by:

Opening /etc/grub.d/40_custom as root.

Here is my 40_custom file:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type
the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to
change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Android 4.2 Jelly Bean" {
set root='(hd0,1)'
linux /android-4.2-test/kernel root=/dev/ram0
androidboot.hardware=android_x86 quiet video=-16 vga=794
SRC=/android-4.2-test
initrd /android-4.2-test/initrd.img}
then run update-grub for the terminal as root

Good Luck!
Mario Ray Mahardhika
Mario Ray Mahardhika
2013-04-16 14:29:28 UTC
Just have some time to confirm: networking still doesn't work, and now I
get a screen with BIG clock and phone pad (looks like widget) and I can't
move anywhere (can't swipe). Might be due to kernel parameters, though I'm
not sure which one (first guess: vga). About the networking problem, my
connection uses eth1 instead of eth0 and I can confirm it works from
terminal. Is there anyway to use it for usual networking (browser, market,
etc)?
Gus Finley
2013-04-16 17:49:26 UTC
if you think you're having vga issues, edit your boot line in grub (press
'e' in grub 2, I think) and change vga=Number to vga=ask. This will list
the modes your monitor can display. Try a few 16 bit resolution in your
monitor's native resolution. Whe you find one that works, you can specify
it by vga=DEC(HEX) where DEC(HEX) is the decimal equivalent of the Hex
value you tested from the vga=ask menu.

Best wishes.

I'm not too familiar with the screen you mention, but it seems like perhaps
you at a lock screen? Does it want you to enter a pin to unlock the screen
and access you account within android?
Mario Ray Mahardhika
2013-04-16 23:59:14 UTC
edit your boot line in grub (press 'e' in grub 2, I think) and change
vga=Number to vga=ask

Thanks, I don't know this 'ask' value before. Will try,
I'm not too familiar with the screen you mention, but it seems like
perhaps you at a lock screen?

Maybe, but there's nothing to slide to unlock.
Does it want you to enter a pin to unlock the screen and access you
account within android?

Err.. no. The phone pad is a real phone pad (i.e. for calling). I'll go
find someway to get a screenshot.