Compatibility with Intel Atom-based Android tablets?
Vladimir Oltean
2016-09-25 22:43:40 UTC
Hi,

I'm wondering if I should pre-order the Lenovo Yoga Book with Android or
Windows 10. I plan on dual-booting Ubuntu and CyanogenMod (or the stock
Android distro with the Book UI).
My question is: what is the support of Android-x86 towards other
bootloaders except BIOS/EFI? Can I build a flashable zip image of
Android-x86 and install that through TWRP, or is it just the ISO image a
possibility?
Povilas Staniulis
2016-09-26 00:36:31 UTC
The Android version probably uses a different bootloader and won't work
with Windows.
Windows 10 version most likely uses regular UEFI which will work with
Android (x86).
If you get it with android can you root it?
If so I'd go with android. And install win 10. Never owned a tablet
or book so not sure how all that works..
Mike
Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com
Vladimir Oltean
2016-09-26 10:51:27 UTC
Let me rephrase the question another way.
I currently have a Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 830F with Android. It doesn't have
UEFI but instead something called "droidboot". It uses the regular system,
data, recovery etc partition table which is specific for Android.
Therefore, no support for Windows.
Can I get the regular, mainstream Linux kernel and GRUB to run over
droidboot, so I can run Android-x86 or Ubuntu? Can I at least get a .zip
image of Android-x86 instead of .iso, and flash that through TWRP?
What are the limiting factors for achieving this?
DDS Central
2016-09-26 11:17:39 UTC
Android already runs Linux kernel. There's nothing stopping you from using
a different userland, provided that you have the needed drivers (especially
for X).
I had done this before on my ARM based Asus TF300T (natively, no chroot
hacks).
I did this by modifying initrd and adding a boot menu to it. This allowed
me to dual-boot Android and Ubuntu. Something similar should be possible
for your device as well.
The easiest way, of course, would be to completely replace Android with a
regular distro, but I'm not sure if that's want you want.
DDS Central
2016-09-26 11:28:13 UTC
As for Android x86, it would probably be hard to port, since most OEMs
modify Android to work specific devices. Android x86 is more suited for
standard PCs.
You're better of with using stock Android.
Vladimir Oltean
2016-09-26 16:47:12 UTC
What do you mean Android-x86 is better suited for standard PCs?
The question is simply if I can build Android-x86 as a flashable zip file
(for example target "bacon" in CyanogenMod) instead of the default target
"iso_img" that is being suggested in the tutorials I found.
I haven't been able to do so yet, because of various errors, but they might
or might not have not been related to me using an invalid / untested target.
Povilas Staniulis
2016-09-26 18:01:10 UTC
You can, in theory, build a ZIP file using Android x86 as a base, by
modifying the source to make it work with a non-standard bootloader
(that is, neither UEFI nor BIOS), add your own drivers, etc. You can
even build for a different CPU architecture (eg. ARM) if you want.
But Android x86 was never meant to be used like that.

Native Android devices run a variant of Android, which is made for that
specific device.
Android x86 is made to run on standard PCs and does not contain any
device specific modifications/hacks often added by manufacturers.
Guilherme Furst
2016-09-27 19:57:30 UTC
Now that's interesting, I'm in similar situation, since I got a Windows
tablet of unkown brand (multilaser m8w).
In my case the cpu is a intel celeron bay trail, so the architecture is a
32-bit. However, its weird the same device you can get with Windows or
Android, which could mean even base Android can work on a non arm device.
So if you have to choose, I would say to go with the Android version from
the get go, you could add cyanogen later, but there isn't much need for
anything else.
In my case, I was able to install Android-x86, the device works with uefi
bootloader, but a bunch of things didn't work right, like display upside
down, touch and few other things.
Russ B
2016-10-31 02:43:22 UTC
Post by Vladimir Oltean
Hi,
I'm wondering if I should pre-order the Lenovo Yoga Book with Android or
Windows 10. I plan on dual-booting Ubuntu and CyanogenMod (or the stock
Android distro with the Book UI).
My question is: what is the support of Android-x86 towards other
bootloaders except BIOS/EFI? Can I build a flashable zip image of
Android-x86 and install that through TWRP, or is it just the ISO image a
possibility?
There are problems with Android-x86 (and derived ROMs like RemixOS and
PhoenixOS) running on Atom devices (Bay Trail & Cherry Trail), as well as
problems with Linux OSs running on them. Intel decided not to support
those SOCs for anything but Windows (go figure), and I have come across any
opensource Android Linux kernels with good support for them yet.

I did see some work done by "Linuxium", but that seems to still be a "work
in progress" (does not work on all devices).
Marshall Kiker
2016-11-03 23:46:45 UTC
Linux Mint should run fine on Atom processors. I have an Atom 2600 that
gives Android a fit but Linux Mint works great on it. Linux has a larger
CPU support selection than Android. Linux is also able to see and properly
identify the Atom which is a hyperthreading model and looks like 4 cores to
Android and some Linux programs but is seen by the Hardware spec as a dual
core.
Marshall Kiker
2016-11-03 23:48:20 UTC
Also note that in my experience Linux Mint runs faster on Atom than Windows
and if need be could use Windows based drivers. I had an XP machine that
was inches away from the trash but now it works quite well.
Russ B
2016-11-14 04:54:43 UTC
Linux only works well on the older (generation 1) Atom SOCs. There are
problems running any Linux based OS/Distro on "Bay Trail" Atom SOCs, and
Linux works badly or not at all on "Chery Trail". Part of this is Intel's
fault because they stopped doing Linux kenel development work for anything
except their main-line (ie: Core i3/i5/i7 and Core M) CPUs.

Hopefully the open source development community will make more progress on
these newer generation chips in the near future.
Povilas Staniulis
2016-11-14 15:24:59 UTC
Desktop Bay Trail chips are mostly stable with Linux. It's the tablet
chips that are problematic.
Most stability problems seem to be related to incomplete and buggy power
management drivers.
There are sound and graphics issues as well.
Matt Casp
2016-11-02 06:03:10 UTC
I wouldn't do it. I installed X86 on my Tablet with similar specs and is
now just a brick laying around. I can't get into Windows and Android X86
when it actually boots is so messed up and apparently no one knows how to
fix either of the issue's or the support of willingness isn't there.
Seems like a nice tablet and wouldn't want to see your's end up being
bricked like mine