[Guide] Install and Triple Boot Android-x86 v4.3 with Windows 8 and Debian Linux on GPT Partition
Euphoria Angel
2013-09-14 09:18:12 UTC
This guide will help you install Android-x86 on GPT Hard Disk. As you all
know the android native installer (which is based on grub 1) only knows MBR
scheme. So when you try to install it on a Hard Disk with GPT (GUID
Partition Table), the installer just sees whole disk space as a unified
partition. This is because of something named Protective MBR which has been
put into GPT for limited backward compatibility with MBR Disk tools which
don't understand GPT.

I was struggling a lot to make this android work on my Sony Vaio Duo 11 as
the android experience was very fluid and ARM translator worked perfectly.
Also because of Linux Kernel 3.10 in android-x86 v4.3 my touchscreen works
and that transfers my laptop to 11.6 inch superfast android tablet. By
superfast I mean fast boot time and high Antutu Benchmark Score of 48800.
Well, this is Ivy Bridge, not some lazy ARM. I wasted lots of time trying
to use something named Hybrid MBR which help you create MBR definition for
some of your GPT partitions. But Windows 8 didn’t liked it at all and
forced me every time to reinstall and reformat my hard drive. But finally I
did it using a simpler approach.

Anyway, this is what I’ve done to achieve this goal:

*1. Install Windows and your other favorite OS'es:*

Yeah. First task is to install all your Operating Systems except
Android-x86. I personally installed Windows 8 first, and let it make as
much as partition it wants. After Windows installation, 3 partitions were
created by windows. One 100MB reserved partition, one 300MB EFI partition
and one 40GB Windows partition. The rest of space was still unallocated. As
you may know, on systems which have implemented EFI, windows will force you
to use it, and you can't use MBR legacy mode for windows.

So after windows installation I had 3 partitions and EFI boot to windows.

Next I installed my Debian based iso named "Kali Linux". Before starting
the installation process I went to BIOS settings and changed UEFI to Legacy
mode as my OS wasn’t able to boot from UEFI. But it understood GPT
partitions correctly and got installed. If you installed your Linux OS and
were able to boot to Linux after restart, there are high chances that you
had installed grub 2 successfully. This is good as we want to replace our
old android grub with this one.

*2. Create Grub Boot Partition:*

I didn’t know this. But on GPT partitions you may need to make a little
partition (like 100MB) for Grub Booting process and flag it to GRUB BIOS or
something like that. I did this using GParted. Just create a new partition
using GParted with not more than 100MB space. then using GParted again flag
it for Grub Boot.
*3. Install android-x86 on an MBR partition and copy the contents to a GPT
partition*
yes. we need the android files, and we just need to copy them. Here is what
I did:
first. I put android-x86 iso on one of my cooldisks and boot it. then using
its installer, I formatted my other cooldisk to ext3 and installed android
on it. next I booted up a live Linux (like Ubuntu live) and copied
installed contents in my cooldisk to a partition in my hard drive.
this is important to note the partition number that you copied android on
it (for example sda8 in my case)
*4. Boot with a Linux live cd (or your installed Linux OS) and add grub
entries for android to the grub*

*first*, as I said note your android partition number (like /dev/sda8)
*second,* note the location of kernel and initrd.img in your android
partition.
*kernel: /android-4.3-test/kernel *
*initrd image file: /android-4.3-test/initrd.img *

*third*,
add this to grub custom menu (located in /etc/grub.d/40_custom) after all
entries:

menuentry "Android 4.3" {
set root*=(hd0,8)
*linux */android-4.3-test/kernel *quiet root=/dev/ram0 *
androidboot.hardware=android_x86* *SRC=/android-4.3-test* DATA= video=-16
initrd */android-4.3-test/initrd.img*
}

you may change (hd0,8) entry based on your android partition location
(hd0,2 for sda2 - hd0,6 for sda6 - hd2,3 for sdc3)

done.
Euphoria Angel
2013-09-23 15:35:35 UTC
i forgot to mention that after the last step run "update-grub" so your grub
modifications get applied.

After a week of usage, this is what i android-x86 means on Vaio Duo 11:

*Pros:*

- Fast boot time
- fast android experience
- audio working great
- video playback working (via mxplayer and x86 mx video libs)
- 95% of tried apps worked
- able to mount my other partitions (after rooting android and using
paragon ntfs+hfs app)

*Cons:*

- touchscreen is not working for few seconds after booting. (you need to
use optical trackpad for unlocking the screen at startup)
- None of sensors working (Rotation, Accelerometer, gyro, magnetometer,
...)
- Cameras not working
- makes laptop pretty hot after some usage
- need to disable hardware keyboard in settings every time i boot it up

Any help on the problems appreciated.
Greg M
2013-09-24 00:12:50 UTC
I found 2 options for the keyboard both in google play store.
Quick Keyboard Switch - puts a widget on the home screen for the "Choose Input Method"
Hackers Keyboard - set it for default and set the setting "Show Soft Keyboard" Always
For the lock screen just disable it in the security settings.
Euphoria Angel
2013-09-24 12:48:07 UTC
Thanks. Hackers keyboard solved my problem, but app name is weird :)
Also disabling sliding lock helped omitting standby. but these are
workarounds.

It would be much better if hardware keyboard gets disabled automatically
when Duo is in Tablet mode, seems people had done this on other tablet pc's.
tsukishiro
2013-10-04 06:32:22 UTC
HI Euphoria Angel,

Thanks so much for your guide.
I followed it almost every step of the way, except instead of Kali Linux I
used Ubuntu 12.04.3.
I now have all 3 OSes installed in UEFI mode and GPT partitions.
My problem is when I boot Android, I get stucked at root prompt and SysRq :
Emergency remount R/O error before the system reboots.
Do you have an idea what causes this?

Hoping for your reply.
Thanks and best regards,
Daniel Keane
Thanks for the help works spot cheers!
q***@public.gmane.org
Li Tan
Euphoria Angel
2014-02-27 22:02:20 UTC
I installed 4.4 few days ago with the same method. No problems
occurred.Actually since I had 4.3 before, I just copied new files to my
android partition and it was done.
Li Tan

2014-02-27 23:54:09 UTC
no. i installed android 4.4 temporarily on a cooldisk (not just made it bootable, installed as it is a hdd partition) then opened it via a linux distro and copied files to my android partition on my hdd.

Anwar X
2014-03-01 19:56:30 UTC
dear Euphoria
i'm following you tutorial before and successful installing android 4.3 on
cooldisk and copy the content to another gpt partition without problem

but after that when the 4.4 x86 arrive i do the same method without luck
and it give me kernel panic

i tried to format the gpt partition to ex2 and ext3 without any luck

also i upgraded the grub2 and edit it to match the new 4.4 kernel and initrd

without any luck can you advise me

best regards

thanks
2014-03-03 05:13:31 UTC
Maybe the new version is not compatible with your system.

although the 2 versions are so alike, nothing special changed for me. Still the same errors, no webcam support, some apps dont install (same as 4.3), ART not working, sensors not working, still cant install it in system read/write mode. basically just the number changed.

i'm following you tutorial before and successful installing android 4.3 on cooldisk and copy the content to another gpt partition without problem

but after that when the 4.4 x86 arrive i do the same method without luck and it give me kernel panic

i tried to format the gpt partition to ex2 and ext3 without any luck

also i upgraded the grub2 and edit it to match the new 4.4 kernel and initrd

without any luck can you advise me

best regards

thanks

ؚتاريخ الجمعة، 28 فؚراير، 2014 UTC+3 2:54:09 ص، كتؚ Euphoria Angel:

Anwar X
2014-03-04 21:23:56 UTC
hmmm i have vaio duo 11 i think like yours :) so did u change the kernel to
that came with 4,4 ?
can you format your android and reinstall it with this method if you have
duo 11

best regards
Li Tan
Cassio Davi Emer
2014-03-10 13:03:28 UTC
Euphoria Angel, which version of GRUB2 are you using?

I have the same problem as Li Tan (kernel panic) using GRUB
2.00-19ubuntu2.1 that comes with Ubuntu 13.10.

However if I use GRUB 0.97 that comes with Android-x86 4.4 RC1 (on MBR USB
stick) I am able to boot Android that was copied to an ext3 GPT partition.

Thanks.
Li Tan
Chih-Wei Huang
2014-03-18 01:34:13 UTC
The reason that we got panic in 4.4 is because the efivar is on for 4.4. (It
was off on 4.3) I don't know how to turn it off then make a build:(
Just remove the line CONFIG_EFI_VARS in
kernel/arch/x86/configs/android-x86_defconfig
and rebuild the iso_img.
Li Tan
2014-03-23 08:14:54 UTC
hi,did u rebuild the new kernel with the efivar off?if u have done ,would
you like to share the new kernel , i need it for booting my surface pro
1,thanks.
Post by Li Tan
Thanks Chih-Wei
Euphoria Angel
2014-03-23 16:28:00 UTC
I guess its a grub issue. I used stock grubbed shipped with kali linux
1.0.6, i dont remember the version, but i will post when i get home.

Since I'm using the kitkat version with this method, i guess you shouldnt
have any problem with that grub version.
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
hi,did u rebuild the new kernel with the efivar off?if u have done ,would
you like to share the new kernel , i need it for booting my surface pro
1,thanks.
Post by Li Tan
Thanks Chih-Wei
midi jari
Li Tan
Anwar X
Li Tan
Licheng.Li
midi jari
2014-03-25 22:11:08 UTC
hahahah zImage is the kernel used in some Galaxy S phones, he meant the
kernel file only :D AND THANK YOU FOR THE ISO :D you didn't add any code,
did you? :P :P :P LOL
Eddie Walton
2014-04-01 00:19:18 UTC
Hi Li, could you upload the ISO (or just the kernel) somewhere else? That
link has run out of bandwidth.
http://www.datafilehost.com/ is a free hosting site that does not require
registration. Thanks!!!
Li Tan
2014-04-01 06:23:03 UTC
http://www.datafilehost.com/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.datafilehost.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHi_V0v9W3bWdEYzXvirgcwUcVpMg>
Eddie Walton
2014-04-01 17:30:43 UTC
Thanks so much, Li! I've gone ahead and uploaded it to another site in
case the box goes down again. Here it is in case anyone else needs it.
Li, if you want me to kill that share, then just let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/45zkpd88yyw5i79/android_x86.iso
Eddie Walton
And here is Li's kernel by itself (extracted from the ISO):
Joan R. Serra
Li Tan
2014-04-04 20:15:00 UTC
Np, my Asus X202E wifi works fine.
Thanks, Li. Works fine on my Surface Pro. WiFi does not work, but that
is a subject for a different thread as it has nothing to do with your ISO.
Corey Sheldon
midi jari
Li Tan
2014-03-26 04:50:35 UTC
NP, did you guys get to install GAPPS?
midi jari
2014-03-28 23:10:12 UTC
I installed the original Android (from the prebuilt one by android-x86) and
then extracted the kernel file (the file named "kernel") and replaced the
old one in the installed Kitkat and then it booted normally, but I do have
a little question : can we boot (or chainload) Grub Legacy from Grub 2 on
an UEFI system as all new computer have ?
Euphoria Angel
Li Tan
2014-03-29 20:22:56 UTC
You can install androidx86 4.4 on a usb. Then install ubuntu 13.10 uefi
and copy anddroidx86 4.4 install files from usb into the Ubuntu 13.10 uefi
drive. Edit the grub.cfg in the ubuntu to dual boot ubuntu and android uefi
in the same drive.
Alessandro Magnolo
2014-03-30 17:55:39 UTC
Post by Li Tan
NP, did you guys get to install GAPPS?
you don't need to install GAPPS if you use your kernel with the regular 4.4
iso distrubution.

thank you very much for your build, by the way!
Corey Sheldon
2014-04-01 12:50:48 UTC
Anyone have the kernel or its source for 4.4.m1 image from the site and did
anyone manage to fix the ext3 formatting issue rather not be pushing ntfs
on my Vbox install or x86...
Rustom Nunez
2014-06-11 10:42:40 UTC
Post by Euphoria Angel
[...]
hey. i installed it on a usb, but with errors, "*app name* has stopped".
Can you figure it out.
mike r
2014-06-18 22:51:14 UTC
Hey Does this work with Ubuntu?

Mike
Euphoria Angel
2014-06-18 22:56:13 UTC
I guess
jean-michel voicechat_fan
2014-06-19 01:06:28 UTC
yes i have done that on my disk ubuntu 14.04 first do update-grub and
grub-install /dev/...
sda for me
Post by Euphoria Angel
I guess