How about implementing Vulkan API into android x86?
'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
2018-09-29 21:46:05 UTC
Since many of the devices android x86 was designed for (x86 based tablets
and netbooks) are just intel HD based, the performance is more at a
midrange level which may caused by the lack of vulkan support.

The vulkan API is included on my graphics driver for windows, so the gpu
should handle it without any issues.
So the only thing is implementing this into android x86.
Many games already support this API and this may increase the performance
to a much higher level.

The difference between Open GL ES 3.0 and Vulkan on my Nivida Shield tablet
in 3DMark is huge (there is an benchmark to compete both APIs)

Are there future plans or is it even possible to add vulkan to android x86?
Mauro Rossi
2018-09-30 14:22:01 UTC
Hi Patrick,
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
Since many of the devices android x86 was designed for (x86 based tablets
and netbooks) are just intel HD based, the performance is more at a
midrange level which may caused by the lack of vulkan support.
The vulkan API is included on my graphics driver for windows, so the gpu
should handle it without any issues.
So the only thing is implementing this into android x86.
Many games already support this API and this may increase the performance
to a much higher level.
The difference between Open GL ES 3.0 and Vulkan on my Nivida Shield
tablet in 3DMark is huge (there is an benchmark to compete both APIs)
Are there future plans or is it even possible to add vulkan to android x86?
Yes, there are plans and it is a work in progress, having already
substancial results

The vulkan enabled experimental iso are available here and vulkan anv is
included in all hwc enabled iso:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1nCAg47BNfmS7_5ALZZuW5Fbq99cJ2ZqR

Older iso built with mesa 18.2.0-devel seem more stable on Intel, this
problem is under investigation.
Please report any issue you may find.

Mauro
'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
2018-10-21 01:42:25 UTC
Hi Mauro,

Sorry for the late answer, totally forgot it.

I wasn't able to test the test images since it since they don't enable
vulkan at all on my Intel powered mobile devices (Tablet, Laptop.
The first device uses an Pentium N4200 and the second one a Core i7 5500U.
Only OpenGL was available.

Has there anything to be done to enable vulkan?

If you need logs or more info, feel free to contact me.
Mauro Rossi
2018-10-21 12:01:34 UTC
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
Hi Mauro,
Sorry for the late answer, totally forgot it.
I wasn't able to test the test images since it since they don't enable
vulkan at all on my Intel powered mobile devices (Tablet, Laptop.
The first device uses an Pentium N4200 and the second one a Core i7 5500U.
Only OpenGL was available.
Has there anything to be done to enable vulkan?
If you chose one of the hwc iso at the link then nothing to be done, but
please read the information below.

Only hwc enabled images in that folder and the ones in the hwc* folders
have Vulkan anv enabled.
On Skylake GT2 vulkan HAL anv works, even if for some reason during mesa
18.2.0-devel cycle it was more stable than the release 18.2.x
3DMark API Overhead was 100% rock stable and now sometimes it crashes.

drm_gralloc is not compatible with the required dma-bufs (prime fd) infact
the drm_gralloc iso do not have 'vulkan' in the name,
even if vulkan HAL added in those the allocator would not be able to
allocate a buffer for vulkan.
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
If you need logs or more info, feel free to contact me.
If the hwc* isos do not boot please provide the output of modetest command
in early boot stages

Older intel IGP generations do not support RGBA_8888 pixel format (FourCC
AB24) in the Primary planes
and they only support RGBX_8888 pixel format ( FourCC XB24)

Mauro
'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
2018-10-27 20:33:12 UTC
Hi Mauro,
IÂŽve tried out
the oreo_x86_64_8.1.0_r48_k419_HWC2_RGBA_llvm70_vulkan_mesa-18.3.0-devel_w42.iso
from the hwc 2 folder and I can say, it boots up but I canÂŽt pass the setup
wizard.
After entering account details, the google app crashes and it ends in
"account added" loop.
The previous build doesnÂŽt show up in uefi as boot option and both freezes
at grub uefi install, so iÂŽve done the installation on another device.
Things IÂŽve noticed so far > Acer Switch 3 SW312-31
Video glitches, battery level indicator is 0%

How can I take a logcat on a x86 device?
I know how to do it on real android hardware but on this device I canÂŽt use
usb debugging, right?
The USB C connector only works in host mode.
The boot device is a usb hard drive if that matters in any way.
I will now try the installation on my Asus laptop.
2018-10-27 20:46:28 UTC
On my Asus R752L (Intel Core i7 5500U) it doesnÂŽt initialize the gpu
correct (i guess) it shows me a error message to update the microcode (?)
and then it seems to continue booting since the hard drive is doing
something but it leaves me alone with a static cursor on the screen while
screen brightness control works.
Tell me what kind of log you need and how to get it and I will give you all
you need for debugging.
Mauro Rossi
2018-10-28 19:12:42 UTC
Hi Patrick,
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
On my Asus R752L (Intel Core i7 5500U) it doesnÂŽt initialize the gpu
correct (i guess) it shows me a error message to update the microcode (?)
and then it seems to continue booting since the hard drive is doing
something but it leaves me alone with a static cursor on the screen while
screen brightness control works.
The [Firmware bug] message should not be a show stopper
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
Tell me what kind of log you need and how to get it and I will give you
all you need for debugging.
The CPU IGP you are trying lacks the necessary RGBA_8888 pixel format
(FourCC AB24) in the Primary planes
and it would not work even with BGRA_8888 trick in surfaceflinger
hwcomposer code,
because that format is not supported either.

modprobe i915
modetest

No RGBA_8888 implies no HWC and no HWC implies no gbm_gralloc's dma_bufs
and no vulkan anv

If the format is not supported by HW, then you cannot use any of the
hwc+vulkan ISOs.

Mauro
'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
2018-10-28 19:47:57 UTC
And how about the Intel HD 505 (Intel Pentium N4200) ?
It booted up so i guess it is supporting the format but had graphical
glitches?
The CPU is based on apollo lake as far as I know (a more modern cpu).
Mauro Rossi
2018-10-28 21:10:46 UTC
Hi,
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
And how about the Intel HD 505 (Intel Pentium N4200) ?
It booted up so i guess it is supporting the format but had graphical
glitches?
What glitches? Better if you could provide descriptions and logs associated
with issues reports,
the instructions are in the forum.
Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
The CPU is based on apollo lake as far as I know (a more modern cpu).
You could tell us, I don't have that platform,
are 3DMark Slingshot Extreme and API Overhead benchmark available?

Are Sky Force Reloaded and Toy Zombies Lite working?

Last time I tried on Skylake GT there were issues with Unity based
benchmarks, still to be assessed,
some new cases of crashes due to null pointer dereferce in mesa i965 and
Olympus Rising crashing
and latest HWC2 has some cursor plane ordering problems

Mauro
2018-10-28 21:38:32 UTC
Here is an example:

I can't pass the setup wizard and I'm not sure how to bypass it.
It goes into a "google app crashed" loop and doesn't continue.
Hi,
2018-10-28 22:12:06 UTC
I was able to delete my data and try ot again by skipping almost everything.
Unfortunately, i'm unable to use most of the apps.
The google apps are crashing and 3dmark does aswell.
And the graphical glitches are even worse:

Post by 'Patrick Wirth' via Android-x86
http://youtu.be/qlip0tWRhPk
I can't pass the setup wizard and I'm not sure how to bypass it.
It goes into a "google app crashed" loop and doesn't continue.
Hi,