starting android APP without Desktop
jack zhang
2018-11-13 18:26:05 UTC
I want to configure the system so it doesn't launch desktop, just launch
an android APP.

1) how do I disable desktop from been launched?

2) is it possible to run an standard android APP without having desktop
launched? would there be components missing causing the app not run
properly?
Michael Goffioul
2018-11-13 18:43:37 UTC
Unless you want to hack Android, I think only way is to make your APP the
default launcher: this means that the acitivity that you need to be
launched must be declared with cateogry "android.intent.category.HOME" in
its manifest and (after installing the app) you need to make it the default
launcher in the Android Settings.
jack zhang
2018-11-13 18:59:23 UTC
Michael Goffioul:

No, this is NOT what I meant.

I'm trying to re-build the Android OS from source code, I'm looking for
which init file 'Desktop' or 'Home' is launched, I want to disable it.
Hopefully in the same init, i can just install and run the apk using 'pm
install ..' and 'am start ...' commands. these commands works in 'Android
Terminal' app after 'Desktop' or 'Home' is launched.
Michael Goffioul
2018-11-13 19:23:32 UTC
I think you should probably learn about the internals of Android.

The home app is started by the Android activity service (by resolving
activities that are declared with the HOME category). The activity service
is part of system_server. The system_server is launched through zygote.
zygote is launched from init, in one of the /init.*.file, as part of the
booting process.

So unless you want to hack the Android activity service, the easiest is to
install your target activity as the default launcher.