android-86 on vm - disk sizes (to wiki pages)
B. S.
2012-03-19 01:32:43 UTC
It would be useful for newcomers like myself, attracted by the idea of
checking out Android without actually buying hardware, and keeping
things on one's machine nicely compartmentalized ...

If the discussions / wiki talking about vm's / virtual machines, be it
vmware (player), virtual box, or qemu, when talking about disk sizes /
how big, if some disk sizes could be suggested. It's nice that such
mention creating disks, but as someone who knows zero about Android,
size suggestions / popular sizes, would be welcome.

Thanks for any thoughts.

P.S. Pardon some of the redundant terms ... hoping that any answers
will come up with various search terms for future searchers.
notandyet
2012-03-19 04:05:17 UTC
imho
while testing or limited production/developement work in vm's for other
os's either under win or linux vmware or virtualbox hosting another os
like linux/windows can be useful, but with android yet a 2nd layer of
virtualizing arm arch under linux leaves a very unpleasent taste.
burning a cd/dvd or usb bootable then installed to a small say 4gb usb
stick would give you a 1000% better faster path for exploring the potential
of android on x86 procesor
B. S.
2012-03-19 05:07:17 UTC
Sure, if I wanted to dual boot or dedicate a machine to it.

Not interested. At least not at this time.

But I take your point.

My interest, more than anything else, at this point, is not 'All of
Android' per se, but, being a long time PalmOS Treo 680 user, I know
Android is going to knock me up at some point. To date, I have yet to
see equivalent apps (PIM) on Android, and this vm would allow me to
touch and feel potential alternate candidates. Especially if I can get
comfortable / have confidence, that when I drop the thing tomorrow and
crack the screen, switching will be less painful than doing without
entirely. (At the moment, I'm not convinced of that. For lack of
equivalent apps.)

To my knowledge there is no equivalent cross-platform / migration
(both Kubuntu and Win versions) with direct / non-cloud sync for, say,
Agendus and Bonsai. (The significant difference from, say, Google
Tasks, is the hierarchical outliner.) [Closest seems to be
MyLifeOrganized/mlo, or ThinkingRock. Which do the outlines, but are
not PIMs, and do not integrate with PIM tasks.]

So ... for the moment ... just trying to poke a stick at it.
B. S.
2012-03-19 04:55:15 UTC
I have come across:
- http://www.android-dev.ro/2012/03/17/android-x86-4-0-rc1-for-virtualbox-is-released/
(which seems to work under win7/vmware player, but no net)
- http://eins.my/how-to-run-android-2-3-gingerbread-on-vmware-and-virtualbox/
(which suggests 1GB as being more than enough) [and 512MB mem.,
enable 3d graphics, and usb support]
- https://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/db01b76915887fd/3eb82d978d708640?lnk=gst&q=disk+size#3eb82d978d708640
(which shows to make a drive, but no size suggestions. They would be
welcome there.) (It does talk about making a 2GB SD card.)
- https://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/d122f0bc91536fd8/c12ba3e86fea7d19?lnk=gst&q=vm+disk+size#c12ba3e86fea7d19
(no size suggestions.)
- http://blog.gokifu.com/2011/05/android-x86-faster-emulator/
(suggests 3GB)
- http://www.android-x86.org/documents/virtualboxhowto (no size
suggestions.)
- http://www.android-x86.org/documents/installhowto#Advanced (no size
suggestions.)

I get that everyone has different needs, and no one size fits all.
However, my initial premise was trying Android with no hardware, know
zero about Android, so just getting feet wet / just beginning on the
Android learning curve / ecosystem.

e.g. It would be useful is a google search of: "system requirements"
site:http://www.android-x86.org, returned a hit.
notandyet
2012-03-19 14:03:54 UTC
if your bios allows booting from usb
just changing boot order in the cmos is required
optical device
usb device
harddrive

Burn iso test boot and test it, no alterations to your machine.
if you have further interest, installing onto a a usb drive also leaves
hard drive untouched
to remove simple reformat usb stick

1gb ram and 1gb usb drive is the minium i've tested with

i've used this method to test on 6 different machines

3 desktops
intel d945gclf2 1.6ghz motherboard 2gb ram ics
asus amd mb 3.0ghz 2gb ram honeycomb
msi e-350is 1.6ghz 4gb ram ics
3 laptops/nettops
acer aspire one 722 brazos ics and honeycomb
hp dv6000 2.4ghz 2gb ram honeycomb and ics
hp 2100 2.0ghz 1gb ram honeycomb
none of these needed to make any os modifications to boot from live cd or
boot from a usb stick
honeycomb has ethernet support and both ics and honeycomb wifi work with
either built in wireless or usb wifi adapters
depending on which iso you start with

hope this help
-
B. S.
2012-03-19 22:42:20 UTC
Yes, I know. As I indicated elsewhere, I am not interested in dual- or
alternate- booting solutions. I am interested in the vm solution that
I asked about.

Good to know that your minimum was 1GB space. My question was, for a
person new to Android, so initially exploring, what is a reasonable
amount to allocate to the vm?

Not knowing any better I tried 4+4, then lost patience with trying to
get the sd disk (sdb1) recognized, then reinstalled on an 8GB,
expecting to create a 4GB fake sd. To discover max. 2GB. Oh well -
live and learn. However,
- http://www.android-dev.ro/2012/03/17/android-x86-4-0-rc1-for-virtualb...
(which seems to work under win7/vmware player, but no net)
isn't ready for prime time, for me. Every other second something is
crashing (program name is not in English). Which is OK, it's only RC1,
after all. Glad I was able to get as far as I was. Perhaps I'll back
up a version and try again.

I was wrong about connectivity, it's working fine, I just didn't
know it. (Silly me, a simple 'ifconfig eth0' confirmed it, as did a
ping to it. Oh yeah ... it is just BSD/Linux after all - somehow, slap
'Android' on it, and my brain went out the window.) No wi-fi, but
that's probably my fault (didn't connect the adapter to the vm) /
didn't care as I had connectivity.

Mem. minimum seems to be 256
, recommended 512, but I suspect people will be happier with 1GB.

For disk space, it seems that 5GB is reasonable - 3GB main, per
recommendation in other article, and create a 2GB fake SD at the end
of the install.

Perhaps not for development, but I'm not there yet.

If there are other vm's out there, including development ones, with
full eclipse (?) environment, links would be welcome.
(My experience is virtualbox is dog slow under Win7, so vmware/player
is preferred, but virtualbox works well under Linux. I just don't have
one available to me at the moment.)

Also ... can 'just any' java program be downloaded and run? e.g.
http://www.golden-rules.org/

I get that the screen size and input may not be well suited for the
Android/phone format, but I'm curious if just any old java program
should work.
if your bios allows booting from usb
 just changing boot order in the cmos is required
      optical device
      usb device
      harddrive
Burn iso test boot and test it, no alterations to your machine.
if you have further interest, installing onto a a usb drive also leaves
hard drive untouched
to remove simple reformat usb stick
1gb ram and 1gb usb drive is the minium i've tested with
.
.
.