Android-x86 6.0-rc2 released
Midi Jari
2016-08-15 21:59:29 UTC
I dont know if it's only me but anytime I try to watch a video on chrome (or any other browser) it crashes, while YouTube and other video players like MXplayer and some apps like 9gag and such have video working. Is it something on my side? Cuz i've done clean install twice and still the same.
My device: Ativ Tab Pro XE700T1C (windows tablet pc) - i5-3317U with intel HD4000 - booting from ssd with a ext4 partition (only for android) - android 6.0.1 rc2 with system r/w.
2016-08-16 09:23:30 UTC
Dear Chih-Wei (and all contributed),
First I want to say: Thanks a lot for another great release!!!

I'm already with Android-X86 (just as a pure ISO user) basically since
Kitkat.
For me Android-X86 4.4.4 is the release I was sticking on until now because
it was the one working best for me (beside mouse support is not working for
me).
I've also tried Lollipop but all releases did have some issues I was not
able to work around.
Marshmallow now (at least my opinion) is the best release you've ever
made!!! So thanks again!

Just one comment (I've already commented on that in another thread which is
not 100% fitting to that issue):
I do have an issue with the colors using Android-X86 6.0 RC1 and it is
still there with RC2.
I'm using it installed in VMware Player 12 hosted by Intel Core i7 equipped
with Win 7 Pro as well as Win 10 Pro.

On both the colors red and blue are interchanged.
Is this still a (maybe already known) mesa issue?
Is there any know way to solve it or to work around?

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Hardy
Hi all,
I'm glad to say this would probably be
the best release we have made so far.
A lot of bugs and unstable issues have
been fixed since 6.0-rc1.
Especially the Mesa stability has been
improved a lot. It works well on most of
the devices I've tested including VM
and real GPUs. (except a known bug
on the Skylake GPU)
Many thanks to all the developers who
help to make the release. In particular,
many thanks to Pstglia and Mauro who
spent a lot of efforts to fix the 3 critical
Mesa issues found in 6.0-rc1.
Besides, with the help of Jide Technology
we've launched the Analytics Program since
6.0-rc2. I look forward to seeing what
devices are running android-x86 and
what favorite apps the users run on
android-x86. Please agree the anonymous
data collection as possible.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
pstglia
2016-08-17 03:28:50 UTC
And think 2 years ago I was justing posting here if my machine would have
hw accel someday... :)

I just played some games and benchmarks and watched an entire episode on
Netflix (Blacklist - Season 2 - ep. 10)
Suspend & Resume are working here (APU A10 5800K - MOBO Asus F2A55M-CSM)

Kudos for everyone involved. Let's move ahead :)
2016-08-17 04:45:34 UTC
There was an issue earlier with suspend / resume. After round about 25
resumes I needed to do a full restart.
I incorporated a fix in my test system doing a power cycle each 20 resumes
(Kitkat) for that 1 year ago - no idea if I could remove that for
Marshmallow now...
2016-08-17 04:40:51 UTC
Yes, it is exactly the same.
I've been trying on VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.1 build-3770994.

Android-X86 is only starting for me with acceleration enabled.
If it's not it's hanging on boot.
But this is already the situation since Kitkat...

Suspend and resume are working well for me (you may tell me 'Power Tester"
because I'm using it 24/7 on 8 instances in parallel ;-)
2016-08-18 07:50:04 UTC
Is there any bug tracking tool where I may put the issue I have (colors red
and blue switched in Android-X86 6.0 RC1 and RC2)?
Would be maybe a better way than discussing it here...
2016-08-19 05:52:11 UTC
Hmmm, ok. Thanks for that advise! I've already tried to post that issue to
VMware but it seems the support period for Workstation/Player is already
outdated. It seems that the full product chain will be outdated / closed
next year... :-(

I've bee looking around a little finding that it could have something to do
with the vmwgfx driver incorporated in the Android-X86 release. On the mesa
page I found some hints how to incorporate an updated version:
http://www.mesa3d.org/vmware-guest.html
I'm just not experienced enough to be able to do it by myself (by now). My
studies of computer science are already some decades ago ;-) I would give
it a try if you could tell me your thoughts about if this may be helpful
solving the issue... By now I'm not even able to tell which version of
vmwgfx is actually already part of Android-X86 6.0 RC2...

I think while you were having that issue some time ago could maybe also be
HW depending, couldn't it? Maybe it's an issue on the interface layer
between the VM guest and the host system... If meanwhile your hosts HW or
device driver changed / was updated maybe that was the reason why the issue
was gone for you... Or could is be an issue related to DirectX?
Post by h***@gierkes.de
and blue switched in Android-X86 6.0 RC1 and RC2)?
Would be maybe a better way than discussing it here...
You may create a ticket
https://sourceforge.net/p/android-x86/_list/tickets
But it's better to report it to VMware team.
As I said I had the issue before.
But later it disappeared magically.
We didn't do any fix for it.
2016-08-18 12:59:07 UTC
I've checked also with VirtualBox (4.1.4 r110228 (Qt5.5.1)) both with and
without 3D acceleration.
Both are working well - colors red and blue are not swapped like with
VMware.

So my issue seems to be related to VMware Player/Workstation (I'm using
12.1.1) and has also obviously nothing to do with my host system.
Interestingly I did not have that issue with earlier versions of
Android-X86 (neither with KitKat nor with Lollipop)

It's a pity that my test environment does need VMware and it would be a
hell of work to change to VirtualBox (not sure if this will be possible at
all...)
I would be very happy if anybody could help me solving that issue :-)

Thanks a lot in advance.
2016-08-17 05:32:07 UTC
BTW:
My hosts are:
- Fujitsu CELERON H730, Intel onboard HD Graphics 4600 + NVIDIA Quadro
K1100M, Win 7 Pro
- self made Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT630, Win 10 Pro
おとめ座ひなたぼっこ
Đức Vũ
2016-09-04 15:00:42 UTC
No, of course, wat do ya think? A non stable and has no official OEM build OS ported to various kinds of machine can have OTA update 😂😂😂😂
Milan Parikh
2016-08-17 17:32:16 UTC
Is it possible to add in the new touchscreen patch for the Surface 3? Here's a link to some information about it: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1607.3/02607.html
Hypo Turtle
2016-08-17 17:51:49 UTC
Not unless those patches are backported to 4.4.x
Or until Androidx86 is using 4.8
Milan Parikh
2016-08-17 17:58:47 UTC
I don't know if this
helps? https://github.com/jimdigriz/ipts-linux/blob/ipts-v4.6.x/README-IPTS.md

I'm not a developer, so I'm sorry I can't help more.
Milan Parikh
2016-08-18 16:29:30 UTC
Aw damn, that's unfortunate. Is there any progress being made on it, at
all, or is it just a waiting game for now? I wish I could help, but I have
absolutely no experience in this.
Post by Milan Parikh
Post by Milan Parikh
Is it possible to add in the new touchscreen patch for the Surface 3?
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1607.3/02607.html
Actually this driver has already been put in
our kernel 4.4. But it can't work.
Benjamin, the driver author has tried but failed.
He said the SPI infrastructure may need to
be updated as well but he is too busy to do that.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Wesley Henrique
2016-08-21 17:32:41 UTC
Need to fix the keys to position the screen because it has some applications that
works with lying screen, also you know how I make a screenshot that Android
-x86?.

Tails Lol
2016-08-22 06:23:37 UTC
can we have support of the nvidia gtx980?
it will be greatly appreciated.
thanks you.
Milan Parikh
2016-08-23 16:48:53 UTC
Thank you so much! I'm downloading it now!
Post by Milan Parikh
Post by Milan Parikh
Is it possible to add in the new touchscreen patch for the Surface 3?
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1607.3/02607.html
https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86_64-6.0-rc2-for-s3.iso
It's based on 6.0-rc2 and Mauro's kernel-4.8rc2
porting with all Surface 3 drivers enabled.
* Display with OpenGL ES 3.1
* Touchscreen
* Wifi
* Bluetooth
* Touchpad and keyboard
* Buttons
* Audio
* Sensors
* Camera
* Battery status
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Milan Parikh
2016-08-23 17:31:07 UTC
I found some information on patches for Audio and
Battery, https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98001,
and https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106231 respectively, and
here's a general page of info for the Surface
3: https://wiki.gnome.org/BastienNocera/Surface%203

Hopefully some of this is useful to you or others working on the Surface 3.
Milan Parikh
2016-08-25 23:30:54 UTC
Happy to help! I'll keep trying to find more patches for this stuff!
Post by Milan Parikh
I found some information on patches for Audio and Battery,
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98001, and
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106231 respectively, and
here's
https://wiki.gnome.org/BastienNocera/Surface%203
I knew these pages but I didn't notice there are some updates.
I'll try the sound patch. Thanks!
Chris Bethel
2016-09-01 00:48:51 UTC
Post by Milan Parikh
Post by Milan Parikh
Is it possible to add in the new touchscreen patch for the Surface 3? Here's a link to some information about it: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1607.3/02607.html
https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86_64-6.0-rc2-for-s3.iso
It's based on 6.0-rc2 and Mauro's kernel-4.8rc2
porting with all Surface 3 drivers enabled.
* Display with OpenGL ES 3.1
* Touchscreen
* Wifi
* Bluetooth
* Touchpad and keyboard
* Buttons
* Audio
* Sensors
* Camera
* Battery status
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Chih-Wei Huang,

Stephen Just has a working Fedora 24 kernel with sound, wifi, and battery status. You can read about it here:

https://stephenjust.ca/fedora-surface3.html

Maybe his kernel patches will work for Android-X86 as well? :)
Chris Bethel
2016-09-01 14:38:48 UTC
I emailed Stephen about the patches and got this response:

Hello,

Sorry about making my kernel configuration so hard to find! There's
actually a link to my copr repository at the bottom of my Surface 3 page,
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/stephenjust/kernel-surface3/packages/

If you dig through that website, you can find
http://copr-dist-git.fedorainfracloud.org/cgit/stephenjust/kernel-surface3/kernel.git/tree/?id=e51f67e1c51fcacec15b3901996d282871282b33,
which contains all the patches I have applied. The kernel.spec file
indicates which are Surface 3 specific (around line 606).

My understanding is that Android uses a different sound system than desktop
Linux, so the alsa-ucm configuration you need for audio would need to be
ported to Android's system. That UCM file is here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9212963/

Hopefully that's enough info for you to get things going!

Regards,
Stephen

Hope this helps! Thank you for your hard work!
Post by Chris Bethel
Chih-Wei Huang,
Stephen Just has a working Fedora 24 kernel with sound, wifi, and
https://stephenjust.ca/fedora-surface3.html
Maybe his kernel patches will work for Android-X86 as well? :)
Thank you for the info.
But I didn't see what kernel and patches he used explicitly...?
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
youling 257
2016-09-02 08:30:33 UTC
alsa ucmsee
herehttps://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/un74okmr30g/Vm0NKfwfDQAJ
“ Attached is a zip containing the alsa commands needed for my specific
tablet. These were modified from
https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/tree/master/bytcr-rt5640
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fplbossart%2FUCM%2Ftree%2Fmaster%2Fbytcr-rt5640&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHdJpyg5G8x_eY8uLXicQitJdBZtg>
”

you can use alsa_cr.sh, alsa_cr_spk.sh,alsa_cr_off.sh,alsa_cr_hp.sh

圚 2016幎9月2日星期五 UTC+8䞋午2:02:02Chris Bethel写道
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.kernel.org%2Fpatch%2F9212963%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEEufZe5EPaobftN0cxi80rBLCTcQ>
youling 257
2016-09-04 10:57:42 UTC
I also need ucm for android x86this new HiFi file
need /usr/share/alsa/ucm/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi  I don't know how to use
Android x86's asla amixer.

Wesley Henrique

youling 257
2016-08-18 10:04:49 UTC
6.0 rc2can't play youtube videothat screenshot is latest cm13 iso by rbg
buildcm13_android_x86_64-LEGACY-20160521.iso.

圚 2016幎8月16日星期二 UTC+8䞊午5:59:30Midi Jari写道
youling 257
2016-08-18 10:21:47 UTC
6.0 rc2when sleephow to wake up my tablet button can't workneed z3735f
button patchso have to use keyboard wake upbut 6.0 rc2when sleepotg hub
look like disconnectmay be when sleep didn't load modules.
cm13_android_x86_64-LEGACY-20160521.isoonly at debug modemy tablet can
sleepand can use keyboard wake up6.0 rc2debug mode and normal modeall
can sleepbut all can't use keyboard wake up.
youling 257

youling 257

Kamal Masarweh
2016-08-18 12:00:32 UTC
Great release, tested on my Lenovo miix 700 with m5-6Y54 and HD Graphics
515 GPU.
Standby mode is also working, device wakes up well after sleep.

I have a few question:
1) Auto-rotation not working - is it a problems with sensor driver? Is it a
known issue? Can I fix it myself?
2) I can't see the microSDXC card and windows NTFS partitions. Both can be
seen on RemixOS.

I hope I can fix these 2 issues as this is the best Android release so far
for the Lenovo miix 700. Keep up the great work!
Leopoldo Saggin
2016-08-19 09:11:40 UTC
Just to say that on my Asus eeePC 1000HE with 2GB of RAM and a SATA HD with 160GB, I was successfull to install Android x86 until version 4.4.RC5 included.
As I reported on xda forum I was NOT able to install either Android x86 version 6.0RC2 (32 bit) or any RemixOS (32 bit) version.
I did not try with Android x86 v.5.1 yet.
I can easily perform all the process of creation of usb stick with the OS and its installation (RemixOS - different releases 2.x or 3.x - or Android x86 6.0RC2) on the eeePC HD but then the HD can't reboot. It stucks after boot with a flashing cursor. I don't know if this depends on the fs (which is ext3 in Android x86 4.4.5 and lower while it is ext4 on Android x86 6.x and Remix OS) or whatever else. Please note that I tried the installation both by pre-formatting HD with ext4 fs with third part apps or leaving the usb stick to do that while installing OS. I always installed Grub2 but NOT Grub efi.
Cheers,
Leopoldo/Topoldo
Leopoldo Saggin
2016-08-20 09:02:04 UTC
Are you able to run 6.0-rc2 in live mode?
Yes, I tested RemixOS 3.x and it worked fine.
If yes, the new grub may not be compatible with your device. You may
continue using the grub in 4.4-r5.
In fact 4.4 r5 is (almost) perfectly working.
The strange thing is however that I can easily install on my Asus eeePC
1000HE also latest version of Linux distributions (for example Ubuntu)
where (I'm not sure but I strongly suspect) grub2 is also used.
I report the brand and the model of my device because, if I'm correct,
Android x-86 was initially developed exactly on eeePC platform.
Topoldo/Leopoldo
If no, that probably means your CPU is not supported.
Tails Lol
2016-08-21 09:32:08 UTC
have an issue with open to es 3.0 and 3.1 with Nvidia hardware in the GTX 760 (and 980 for remix os 3.0 201)
it just crash Android x86 rc2 when ever a benchmark start testing (antutu 3D and 3d mark)
but it seems the stability problem with the GTX 760 is fixed when using kernel 4.8 (thx Mauro)
Vaidotas
2016-08-19 12:08:18 UTC
Very often on boot I get this error "vblank wait timed out on crtc 0" and
screen is left blank. Found this bug report, which claims that issue was
fixed in kernel 4.5 (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93509).
Of course, I could be wrong and this could be completely different issue.
I'm attaching detailed error trace and whole failing boot log.
Cuong Pham Dinh
2016-08-27 09:18:33 UTC
Hello Mr Chih-Wei,
I have setup Android X86_64 RC2 on my tablet Dell Vennue Pro 7140 ( cpu core M 5y10), but:
- mmc0 unknow controller ( driver for O2mmc reader sd card) ?

- My tablet can not wake up after sleep by app Screen Lock, it wake up when connect USB or sleep by use terminal "echo freeze > /sys/power/state
Can you help me?
Thank you so much.
Andrey Kozlov
2016-08-29 10:48:06 UTC
Thank you for all the great work you have done to make this release available. It is much more stable than rc1 and works almost perfectly on my old Core2Duo mediacenter. However I still experience one little issue with display. My graphics card is NVidia GeForce 210. Quite old and slow for PC but fits well Android mediacenter. The problem is that sometimes overlay windows like ANR dialog or PowerOff dialog or keyboard layout switch indicator appear corrupted. No text is seen and the window area is filled with random colors and it flickers when mouse cursor hovers the window. However buttons are responsive if I somehow find them and click in the area where they should be. This problem was on 6.0-rc1, and still exists on 6.0-rc2. Does not exist on 5.1-rc1.
I can add screenshots if my description is not very clear. Any help is appreciated.
Đức Vũ
2016-09-04 14:55:02 UTC
nVIDIA still not fixed, always make system crashed. Until the nougat released.
Đức Vũ
2016-09-04 14:57:43 UTC
Don't run WebView or any Chrome-based browser It will crash app (if VMware driver/unsupported device) crash entire system (on nVIDIA).
youling 257
2016-09-06 04:11:33 UTC
Chih-Wei Huangplease tell me about */system/etc/alsa/bytrt5640.stateis
it /var/lib/alsa/asound.state ? is it
possible /system/etc/alsa/bytcr-rt5640.state、cht-bsw-rt5645、cht-bsw-rt5672
*
youling 257
2016-09-06 04:44:55 UTC
no backend DAIs enabled for Baytrail Audio Port has solved on Ubuntuneed ucm/HiFibut still no sound /var/lib/alsa/asound.stateeach tablet different.

this is my hifi and asound.statemay be need Android /system/etc/alsa/ucm and etc/alsa/asound.state

圚 2016幎9月6日星期二 UTC+8䞋午12:28:27Chih-Wei Huang写道
Chih-Wei Huangplease tell me about /system/etc/alsa/bytrt5640.stateis
it
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state ? is it possible
Basically yes.
I copied it from a workable linux distribution.
/system/etc/alsa/bytcr-rt5640.state、cht-bsw-rt5645、cht-bsw-rt5672 
You can submit them.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
youling 257
2016-09-06 05:14:20 UTC
wellrename my asound.state to bytcrrt5640.statecopy to
/system/etc/alsahas more useful.
but still no backend DAIs enabled for Baytrail Audio Port on android.
youling 257
2016-09-06 06:20:49 UTC
I still used [ -z "$FOUND" ]just nowi use [ "$AUTO_LOAD" = "old"
]dmesg didn't has “no backend DAIs enabled for Baytrail Audio Port” 
nowI use [ "$AUTO_LOAD" = "old" ] needn't ucm and hifionly need correct
asound.staterename and copy to /system/etc/alsa .

圚 2016幎9月6日星期二 UTC+8䞋午1:14:20youling 257写道