Surface 3 (Atom x7) does not boot
Bernard
2015-07-21 23:51:49 UTC
I have a Surface 3 4/128 in my possession at the moment. It's a slick piece of kit, but all the Android-x86 builds do not boot.

I see "Detecting Android-x86..." and then light on USB flash drive looks like it loads the system, but no GUI presents.

I've tried Sandman01's Surface builds as well as the new 4.4-r3. This would definitely be the tablet I'd settle with if I could get Android working.

How can I help?
Fajar A. Nugraha
2015-07-22 02:29:57 UTC
Post by Bernard
I have a Surface 3 4/128 in my possession at the moment. It's a slick piece of kit, but all the Android-x86 builds do not boot.
I see "Detecting Android-x86..." and then light on USB flash drive looks like it loads the system, but no GUI presents.
Did it say something like "found on /dev/sda1" ?
Post by Bernard
I've tried Sandman01's Surface builds as well as the new 4.4-r3. This would definitely be the tablet I'd settle with if I could get Android working.
How can I help?
If it says "found" but the GUI is not loaded, I'd try testing vesa mode.

If it keeps on stuck at "detecting", whatever device you run it from
(e.g. sd card) does not have the drivers loaded. Try using another
device (e.g. usb drive).
--
Fajar
Bernard
2015-07-22 07:42:58 UTC
Yes. Tried vesa mode as well (I think I did it correctly)
Bernard
2015-07-31 08:40:20 UTC
Anyone get this working on S3?
rbg
2015-08-01 19:00:35 UTC
FWIW:

*Here's a new 4.0 build: *
https://mega.co.nz/#!RUV3gAiJ!nKnKTPS94UtMNAGcrvbeAjoh8FntJ-WqHZF2mw2J36s

*Here's my 4.1rc8 build (very broken, broken wifi): *
https://mega.co.nz/#!UIcSVarR!Mb6I1oCvE5IfwzfCpNWSHVbheDqn1DbxoE9xUqbmBKo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43N_UcsJhpjOEVRRFdMZGNKMWc/view
rbg
2015-08-01 19:02:41 UTC
FWIW: search these forums....

FWIW:

*Here's 4.0 build: *
https://mega.co.nz/#!RUV3gAiJ!nKnKTPS94UtMNAGcrvbeAjoh8FntJ-WqHZF2mw2J36s

*Here's 4.1rc8 build (very broken, broken wifi): *

Bernard
2015-08-01 21:02:09 UTC
Tried all 3 images, none of them work.

Detects Android-x86, finds it, then goes to black screen with no GUI and
stays there.
Post by rbg
FWIW: search these forums....
*Here's 4.0 build: *
pstglia
2015-08-01 21:57:08 UTC
Hi,
Post by Bernard
Tried all 3 images, none of them work.
Detects Android-x86, finds it, then goes to black screen with no GUI and
stays there.
Can you get logcat / dmesg outputs? This will help trying to identify
what's wrong/missing

Regards,
Pstglia
Bernard
2015-08-02 01:08:07 UTC
I have done considerable searching for the past hour, and there is no
straightforward guide to save logcat/dmesg. Honestly, there isn't. There's
posts here and there of people doing it in 50 different ways.

If you can please tell me what to do, I can do this immediately. I'll keep
searching, but I'm not finding anything.
Post by pstglia
Hi,
pstglia
2015-08-02 01:35:08 UTC
Post by Bernard
I have done considerable searching for the past hour, and there is no
straightforward guide to save logcat/dmesg. Honestly, there isn't. There's
posts here and there of people doing it in 50 different ways.
If you can please tell me what to do, I can do this immediately. I'll keep
searching, but I'm not finding anything.
This is one of the threads with a procedure to do this (see 2 last posts
from Mauro Rossi)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/cp$20$2Fdata$2Flog.txt/android-x86/8IZLSYGRjic/JaTr38e0VEAJ

Regards,
Pstglia
Bernard
2015-08-02 01:38:36 UTC
Tried that, no go.

When I boot in debud mode, it gets to the point where it says hit exit to
continue booting. If I do that, I cannot pull up anything with Alt-F2, etc,
it just gets stuck on the black screen.

Running any of those commands returns errors.
pstglia
2015-08-02 01:54:38 UTC
Post by Bernard
Tried that, no go.
When I boot in debud mode, it gets to the point where it says hit exit to
continue booting. If I do that, I cannot pull up anything with Alt-F2, etc,
it just gets stuck on the black screen.
Running any of those commands returns errors.
Ok. We can try to get at least logcat by now. This will require you to
install Android-x86 with "writable /system" (this can be selected during
install)

1) After installing, run installed Android-x86 under debug mode and type
the 2 exits until you got stucked with black screen.

2) Reboot your machine with boot it in another Operating Linux SO

3) mount Android-x86 installed partition (Ubuntu does this automatically),
and locate the data directory. There you'll find a file named log.txt,
which is saved logcat.

You can also use Windows to access this file with a program called
"ext2explore" (if your partition was formated to ext2, ext3 or ext4). If
you formated as FAT, just select Android-x86 installed partition/drive and
get the file

Regards,
Pstglia
Bernard
pstglia
2015-08-02 03:11:22 UTC
Post by Bernard
Yea, I'll do that later. I was just hoping this could be done using 2 USB
drives, without a full install of Android + bootloader.
You can try to install it on your 2nd USB drive. Did this once.
Bernard
2015-08-02 06:18:04 UTC
I'm not even able to get a log.

Installed Android-x86 to partition as FAT32 so I can access it within
Windows. When I try booting to it in debug mode, it only gets to the FIRST
"type exit to continue booting." I type exit and it ends at the black
screen.

When I go back into Windows and browse into the FAT32 partition and into
the android-4.4-r3 folder, 5 files exist exactly like they do on the live
USB (data.img, initrd.img, kernel, ramdisk.img, system.img). It seems like
it didn't even get far enough for data and system folders to be populated?

There's no log anywhere.
Bernard
2015-08-02 06:28:26 UTC
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-02 13:20:13 UTC
How to mount data.img on Windows:

1. install Ext2FSD ---->
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/files/latest/download?source=recommended
2. download and run OSFMount ------>
http://www.osforensics.com/downloads/osfmount.exe (32bit)
3. Mount DATA.IMG using OSFMount.
4. double click on mounted data.img to open in windows explorer.
Saipudin Haris
Bernard
2015-08-02 18:06:31 UTC
Thank you Saipuidin,

Prior to 4.4-r3, when I would install Android on an ext4 partition and then
use ext2fsd in windows, it always showed up as folders mimicking the file
system as if you were using the android device.

Did things change with 4.4-r3, keeping data packaged within an image file
now? Or is it just acting this way because I chose FAT32 this time?
Bernard
2015-08-02 22:27:42 UTC
I have data.img mounted in Windows, but I cannot find a log file anywhere,
in any of the nested folders.
pstglia
2015-08-02 23:03:51 UTC
Post by Bernard
I have data.img mounted in Windows, but I cannot find a log file anywhere,
in any of the nested folders.
Should be inside data directory. File name is log.txt.

Strange that every time I install here, /system is a directory of the
partition I selected to install Android (I always select it as writable)

bash-4.3$ pwd
/media/caerrrrrr-aaaaaa-zzzzzz-yyyyyy-xxxxxxxxxxxxx/android-2015-06-28/data
bash-4.3$ ls -l log.txt
-rw------- 1 root root 672800 Aug 2 16:04 log.txt

bash-4.3$ mount | grep cae
/dev/sda8 on /media/caerrrrrr-aaaaaa-zzzzzz-yyyyyy-xxxxxxxxxxxxx type ext4
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

However, I use iso files. If you are using img/efi files, this can be
different.
Bernard
2015-08-02 23:07:26 UTC
Well, there's nothing.

Like I said, it will say "Detecting Android-x86," find it, go through what
seems like initial boot stuff when in debug mode. Than I type exit to
continue booting (first exit option) and it freezes with black screen
there. I never get to a second option to type exit again.

I have to power it off by holding the power button down at that point. From
there, I mount the disk within Windows and don't find anything.

What can I do at this point?
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-03 00:10:33 UTC
Hi Bernard,

If the data.img contains no logs, you could try to install android x86 into
a harddrive partition or a flash drive partition.
it could be possible the logs located on your android x86 system
partitions. refer to pstglia instruction on previous post how to install
Note: for the logs to be created, your android x86 system partitions must
have "writeable" access.

Could you upload your data.img to google drive and provide the link so
every body could "see" what's inside?
Please compress your data.img using 7zip before upload.

Also If you can, could you dump your android x86 system partition and
upload it too?
you could use isobuster (or other raw partition save to image software) to
dump your android x86 system partition.
If yes please compress your dumped android x86 system partition using 7zip
then upload it to google drive so every body can "see" what's inside.
Bernard
2015-08-03 00:19:05 UTC
I did install Android-x86 to the Surface 3's drive; that's what I'm talking
about in the last few posts. It is an eMMC drive, could that be the issue?

I just tried mounting the system partition as well using OSFMount and
couldn't find anything in there that's worthwhile either.

Also, what's up with the new 2GB limit for /data in the 4.4-r3 installer?
I've always formatted a partition ext4 with whatever size I wanted and then
installed Android-x86 to it without formatting.
Bernard
2015-08-03 00:31:59 UTC
You are wrong in this case. During install I made sure (wiped the partition
and installed a second time to make sure) that I chose YES to R/W
permissions.

It only seems to happen with the 4.4-r3 release img. You're allowed to
choose between a range of 512MB-200MB. Let me see what rbg's 7/21 iso build
does.
Hey, Sorry To interject here, I'm not a DEV, and been "trying" to learn
this for along time, The 2Gig Limit is your installing without R/W
permissions, My Install Right Now has an 8Gig Partition, Which is actually
getting to SMALL!!
Not Sure, I haven't used the new install I'm still on RC2.... Cause Fuzzy
Made my Synaptics Touchpad into a Touchscreen Emulator... I Get Everyone
else has a "touchscreen" but I don't, And I've Asked a Million times on
what I need to edit to rebuild the kernel (The Latest) the way I need it
and Really get no answers...
So the Best I can Say From awhile ago, Is if you install W/O R/W
permissions, your stuck on 2Gigs....
Now Believe I could be wrong, just saying what happened to me on my Old
Intel 1750 Inspiron,.,,
Mike
Post by Saipudin Haris
Hi Bernard,
If the data.img contains no logs, you could try to install android x86
into a harddrive partition or a flash drive partition.
it could be possible the logs located on your android x86 system
partitions. refer to pstglia instruction on previous post how to install
Note: for the logs to be created, your android x86 system partitions must
have "writeable" access.
Could you upload your data.img to google drive and provide the link so
every body could "see" what's inside?
Please compress your data.img using 7zip before upload.
Also If you can, could you dump your android x86 system partition and
upload it too?
you could use isobuster (or other raw partition save to image software)
to dump your android x86 system partition.
Bernard
2015-08-03 00:47:49 UTC
Ok, so I reinstalled using rbg's 7-21-15 4.4-r3 ISO.

There's something different going on between the EFI and ISO installers.
The ISO installed like I've known Android-x96 to install: didn't ask to
specify size for data img, and when viewing the partition within Windows
using ext2fsb, the data and system parts are in folders that are browsable,
not packaged in .img files. Not sure what the change was for.

Saipudin, can I just package the data and system folders into a .7z file?
Here's the thing though, the data folder is completely empty. I don't think
the Android-x86 boot process even gets far enough to populate data?
Ok, Wow, That's Kinda Strange Because The R2 will do Whatever Partition
You make For it, But you said IMG, So I'm gonna Assume it's an UEFI Format,
Which I Know Nothing, But will keep reading to see how it works out..
Bernard
2015-08-03 01:10:17 UTC
Then there's something wrong with the 4.4-r3 UEFI installer. I tried twice,
making sure to choose Yes for R/W permissions, and it still asked to choose
size. I then tried rbg's test build ISO and it installed fine.

Still doesn't change the fact that I can't get any logs and there's no data
within the partition.
And On This Exact issue, I'm gonna simply say, If it ASKS for the the SIZE
of the install, You ARE going READ ONLY......
You said yourself, Why It's happening Dunno, But that's the Slandered for
an Install, It's Either R/O With A Limit, OR R/W with no limit, It Won't or
shouldn't ask on a true root install....
Hope It helps...
Bernard
2015-08-03 03:08:22 UTC
I have android installed now using rbg's test build. Still doesn't boot on
this Surface 3 and I'm trying to get logs for the devs, but I can't. I've
mounted partitions in Windows and there's absolutely no files in the data
folder. It seems like Android-x86 doesn't get far enough along in the boot
process or something to populate data.

Maybe it's the eMMC drive or the Atom-x7 Z8700 that's causing these issues.
I'd like to help but I don't know what I can do. I can upload the system
and data folders in .7z archive, but the system is probably exactly what
it's like as if you were building an image on a Linux machine, and the data
folder is blank.
If your being asked to check size , regardless Your installing on R/O....
Talk to the DEVS to get them to fix it, and Until Then step back To an
Older Version a Search the Group to get an install answer....
Post by Saipudin Haris
Hi Bernard,
If the data.img contains no logs, you could try to install android x86
into a harddrive partition or a flash drive partition.
it could be possible the logs located on your android x86 system
partitions. refer to pstglia instruction on previous post how to install
Note: for the logs to be created, your android x86 system partitions
must have "writeable" access.
Could you upload your data.img to google drive and provide the link so
every body could "see" what's inside?
Please compress your data.img using 7zip before upload.
Also If you can, could you dump your android x86 system partition and
upload it too?
you could use isobuster (or other raw partition save to image
software) to dump your android x86 system partition.
Bernard
2015-08-06 19:59:45 UTC
Hey Devs,

So I installed Android-x86 to the eMMC drive of the Surface 3 in every
combination possible: NTFS, FAT32, ext3, ext4 and I get the same result
everytime. It doesn't seem to get far enough along in the boot process to
populate any data. When it freezes on black screen and I go back and mount
the partition in Windows, the data folder is completely empty.

I was able to set up a tripod and catch the entire screen after trial and
error in debug mode. Attached is all I see before the screen goes black and
the tablet freezes.
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 20:26:50 UTC
1. What could possibly be the reason of crashing ?
Anything is possible.
2. What are the approaches of identifying causes of crash ?
Check the logcat.

If you boot (Android x86 in) the DEBUG mode, it's recorded in
/data/log.txt.

=========
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/600nkl6mfwA
Bernard
2015-08-06 20:30:38 UTC
Post by Saipudin Haris
2. What are the approaches of identifying causes of crash ?
Check the logcat.
If you boot (Android x86 in) the DEBUG mode, it's recorded in
/data/log.txt.
The data folder is EMPTY, even after booting in DEBUG mode.
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 20:35:10 UTC
How to Obtain Crash Information for Android* App on the Android platform

On the Android platform, you can use a debuggerd daemon process for
collecting error information when applications crash. This process can
detect application crashes and then store error information in files or
print it to a log so that you can analyze it and locate problems. These
files are named tombstones_xx and stored in sequence within the folder
/data/tombstone/. There can only be ten files in the system, so the
earliest file generated will be replaced once the maximum number of files
has been reached.

=====
https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/how-to-obtain-crash-information-for-android-app-on-x86-platform

Android Tombstones & It's Locations

Working with Android, every time a process that runs on native side
crashes, we have some small pieces of your stack in files called tombstones.

The tombstones are located at* /data/tombstones* as isolated files (one
files represents one crash) or you can see them in your *logcat:*

***@android:/ # find . |grep tombs

./data/tombstones
./data/tombstones/tombstone_00
./data/tombstones/tombstone_01
***@android:/ #

The tombstone inform you about:

1. *Build fingerprint*
2. *Crashed process and PIDs*
3. *Terminated signal and fault address*
4. *CPU registers*
5. *Call stack*
6. *Stack content of each call*

=====
http://bytesthink.com/blog/?p=133
Bernard
2015-08-06 20:43:06 UTC
You sure do insist on fighting me about this.
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 20:56:13 UTC
Could you confirm again that you have an android x86 "writable /system"
like pstglia instructions?

Could you dump the drive partition and zip it with 7zip then upload it to
google drive?
If yes, I'll wait for your the google drive link for the dumped partition.

could you post your grub/syslinux configuration?
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 21:01:56 UTC

Could you provide the folder content screenshot for number 1 and number 2
(see in attached image)
Bernard
2015-08-06 21:11:06 UTC
1) Screenshot of my folders

2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for most of my
Android-x86 installs.
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 21:29:12 UTC
I'll try to replicate your configuration on my mbp, i'll update once i
finish doing it.
Bernard
2015-08-06 21:31:57 UTC
I have this exact same setup running perfectly on a Surface Pro 3 i3-4xxx.
It was running perfectly on a Toshiba Portege Z10t i7-4610Y. I believe it
will work fine on your MBP.

It's something with the Atom x7, if I was to guess.
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-06 21:39:24 UTC
I wan't to trace the log creation failure by replicating you configuration.
i'll notify you once i finish testing it, if it worth enough to report.

in the mean while you can talk to others in this group.
rbg
Bernard
rbg
Bernard
rbg
2015-08-07 00:43:48 UTC
IMO

so if live doesn't boot at all...

you created a fat32 partition, created an ext4 partition...

copied .img files / kernel / etc. to a folder on the fat32 partition and
copied
the boot info to the ext4 partition, made changes in the windows bootmge to
boot from ext4 partition
that has the android-x86 boot info on it pointing to the folder on the
fat32 partition

it doesn't boot at all and/or gives errors / etc.

so I feel pstglia is correct in that you need to provide Logcat / dmesg /
log.txt form the
boot from disk, without it there is no way to actually see what's going
on....and the photos
you have supplied really don't show anything as far as what is really
happening.....

check these forums as others have solved your issue of getting the logcat /
dmesg / etc. when using
debug mode, dual flash devices / etc.

does ubuntu live flash boot correctly / install and boot correctly....if
not why not.....

others have successfully booted, installed, provided logs from android-x86
to surfacePro 3...you need to do some
research / work and learn what you may be doing wrong or provide the
logs.....
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Bernard
2015-08-07 00:59:22 UTC
Hi rbg,

Please let me clarify a few things you said.

I did not “copy .img files to a folder. What I did, and what I have always
done to install Android-x86 is this:

1. Create a small ~100MB FAT32 partition that houses grub with manual
configuration for Android-x86 (let’s call it dev/sda5), so that I don’t
need to add grub to the Windows ESP and can make changes easily. The
Android-x86 boot parameter points to dev/sda6).
2. Create whatever size ext4 partition that I want following the grub
partition, where I’m installing Android-x86 to (let’s call it sda6).
3. Boot live USB and install Android-x86 to sda6.
4. From there, I use rEFInd bootloader so I can use a custom theme. It
sees Windows Boot Manager and Grub (so I have Windows and Android icons). I
choose whichever one I want at boot, and it boots the corresponding OS.

This has worked flawlessly on various hardware to boot and run Android-x86.
At this point, every machine I’ve tried is a Core M/i3/i5/i7 (Ivy Bridge,
Haswell, Broadwell).

What I am talking about here is the SURFACE 3 with an ATOM Z8700 SoC, not
the Surface Pro 3. I have a Surface Pro 3 that is successfully running
Android-x86 using this exact procedure.

The Surface 3 however, does not boot Android-x86 whether I run Live USB or
installed on the eMMC drive. It just stops booting and freezes on a black
screen. I tried installing Android-x86 to various partition formats to see
if it makes a difference. It doesn’t.

I am telling you, when I install Android-x86 and select Yes to R/W, even
after it says it’s successful, it does not boot. If I browse the partition
using ext2fsd, the data folder is empty.

I would love to get you all logcats, but every method you’ve provided to me
has come up fruitless. Since I’ve successfully installed this to lots of
devices now, I doubt it’s my install process. It’s either (I think) the
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
rbg
2015-08-07 02:53:28 UTC
think we are missing something here........??????????

"No, the Surface 3 does not boot at all, Live USB or installed to eMMC. I
installed it to eMMC so I could try and get a log, but it's not happening."

then later you say...

"I am telling you, when I install Android-x86 and select Yes to R/W, even
after it says it’s successful, it does not boot. If I browse the partition
using ext2fsd, the data folder is empty."

so I'll move on and just repeat...

Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
rbg
2015-08-07 03:49:07 UTC
well guess my wife is right again...she always says I take things too
literally......

but hey if someone tells me that "No, the Surface 3 does not boot at all,
Live USB or installed to eMMC"

I assume they mean that they cannot boot the Live USB and after going
through some procedure to install it by
copying stuff to a partition, cannot boot it installed..........

But I see your point.........my bad!!!!!!!!
Post by rbg
installed it to eMMC so I could try and get a log, but it's not
happening."
then later you say...
Post by rbg
using ext2fsd, the data folder is empty."
so I'll move on and just repeat...
Well, I see no contradiction in Bernard's statement.
The booting process has a little different
between normal boot (live or non-live) and installer.
In normal boot the android-x86 init script
will run the auto-detect function to load
all necessary drivers it detects.
I think that's the time it get stuck.
For the installer the auto-detect step
is skipped so he can still install android-x86
successfully. But he can't boot the installed one
to the android ui due to the above reason.
rbg
2015-08-07 07:14:13 UTC
could you check this build....there should be a folder on the build called
boot/S3-android-x86-boot

if not there...just stop and report results, if there read the file
S3-note.txt and follow the directions, see if it boots ok
for you and post results....thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2evBKvIpdYkZ0pRc1MwV2ZUd1U/view?usp=sharing
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Bernard
2015-08-07 07:59:34 UTC
Unfortunately, no change. I tried Live USB and then installed it to eMMC as
well. After typing "exit" in debug mode to continue booting, it seemed to
hang longer before going to the black screen and locking up.

Data folder was empty when browsing the partition.

Thanks for building an image so fast. I'm going to go to bed, have a good
night rbg.
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Dejay Nickerous
Bernard
rbg
2015-08-08 23:05:24 UTC
not yet, but having built mrossi's 4.1 kernel and adding all the needed sp3
patches was / is on android-x86.net
somewhere.....though it's outdated you may want to try it.......

real key(to me) is following where the drm developers are going with the
solutions.....

the article I posted was 2 months old....you need to really follow the
intel-gfx-bugs
and drm i915 commits by vetter to see how the issue is progressing.....

IMO
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
rbg
2015-08-08 02:40:57 UTC
FYI -

maybe the issue on surface 3 display....??

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97941

note that was with kernel 4.1 so maybe not til kernel 4.2 for a fix...???
I think it's clear the booting can't pass to the
android init -- that's why /data/ is empty.
It's probably stuck at some kernel drivers,
possibly the display driver.
It's a big challenge to debug such a problem.
Usually you need a UART port to get the
kernel dump message to know what happened.
The possible fact is the platform is too new
to be supported by the kernel (4.0) we use.
If I were you, I'll check if the latest kernel (4.2-rcX)
has display driver that supports this platform.
Post by Bernard
boot parameter points to dev/sda6).
Create whatever size ext4 partition that I want following the grub
partition, where I’m installing Android-x86 to (let’s call it sda6).
Boot live USB and install Android-x86 to sda6.
From there, I use rEFInd bootloader so I can use a custom theme. It sees
Post by Bernard
has come up fruitless. Since I’ve successfully installed this to lots of
devices now, I doubt it’s my install process. It’s either (I think) the
Atom
Post by Bernard
x7 or the eMMC.
/
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
I'll try to replicate your configuration on my mbp, i'll update
once
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
i finish doing it.
Post by Bernard
1) Screenshot of my folders
2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for most
of
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
Post by Bernard
my Android-x86 installs.
an
<javascript:>.
Post by Bernard
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86.
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-08 03:32:24 UTC
I think the issue is related to processor bugs/errata ------->
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z8000-spec-update.html

Quote from Bernard:
==============
Post by Bernard
boot parameter points to dev/sda6).
Create whatever size ext4 partition that I want following the grub
partition, where I’m installing Android-x86 to (let’s call it sda6).
Boot live USB and install Android-x86 to sda6.
From there, I use rEFInd bootloader so I can use a custom theme. It
sees
Post by Bernard
devices now, I doubt it’s my install process. It’s either (I think) the
Atom
Post by Bernard
x7 or the eMMC.
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
I'll try to replicate your configuration on my mbp, i'll update
once
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
i finish doing it.
Post by Bernard
1) Screenshot of my folders
2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for most
of
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
Post by Bernard
my Android-x86 installs.
an
rbg
2015-08-08 05:10:36 UTC
certainly it's all tied together...as

workaround i915.edp_vswing=2 on boot command line

was shown to work on some Ubuntu systems to temporarily solve the black
screen issue

the Z8000 specification includes both the Atom Z5 & Z7, that are used on
the surface 3
Post by Bernard
boot parameter points to dev/sda6).
Create whatever size ext4 partition that I want following the grub
partition, where I’m installing Android-x86 to (let’s call it sda6).
Boot live USB and install Android-x86 to sda6.
From there, I use rEFInd bootloader so I can use a custom theme. It
sees
Post by Bernard
devices now, I doubt it’s my install process. It’s either (I think)
the Atom
Post by Bernard
x7 or the eMMC.
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
I'll try to replicate your configuration on my mbp, i'll update
once
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
i finish doing it.
Post by Bernard
1) Screenshot of my folders
2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for most
of
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
Post by Bernard
my Android-x86 installs.
an
Bernard
2015-08-08 09:34:01 UTC
Tried putting that in for boot parameter, didn't do anything.
Post by Bernard
boot parameter points to dev/sda6).
Create whatever size ext4 partition that I want following the grub
partition, where I’m installing Android-x86 to (let’s call it sda6).
Boot live USB and install Android-x86 to sda6.
From there, I use rEFInd bootloader so I can use a custom theme. It
sees
Post by Bernard
devices now, I doubt it’s my install process. It’s either (I think)
the Atom
Post by Bernard
x7 or the eMMC.
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
ok thanks....and live usb runs / boots fine correct?
Post by Bernard
Secure boot is off.
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
believe it will work fine on your MBP.
It's something with the Atom x7, if I was to guess.
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 2:29:12 PM UTC-7, Saipudin Haris
Post by Saipudin Haris
I'll try to replicate your configuration on my mbp, i'll
update once
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
i finish doing it.
Post by Bernard
1) Screenshot of my folders
2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for
most of
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by rbg
Post by Bernard
Post by Saipudin Haris
Post by Bernard
my Android-x86 installs.
send an
Елліот Луцяк
2015-08-19 04:37:44 UTC
Post by Bernard
1) Screenshot of my folders
2) Screenshot of my grub.cfg. It's the same one I use for most of my Android-x86 installs.
Edit grub.cfg so that "androidboot.hardware=android_x86" reads "androidboot.hardware=x86"
Bernard
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-20 18:11:00 UTC
I'm still suspecting the blanking display issue is related to a known Intel
Processor Bugs/Errata.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/atom-z8000-spec-update.pdf
First of all, many thanks to Bernard who
donated a Surface 3 tablet to me so
I can work on it.
I just made some primary tests.
The bad news is the i915 display driver
is broken that results in black screen on loading
as I expected. It seems to be a known issue
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97941
Besides, there is no driver for audio and touch, either.
The Surface 3 is a new device.
It seems the open source community
still need more time to catch it up.
Stay tuned.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
James Davison
DZ
Jim
2015-10-12 06:29:32 UTC
Hello, thanks for your working.
But how can I download this kernel?
or it's on beta kernel only for log file?
Very hope android-x86 on Surface 3.

Chih-Wei Huangæ–Œ 2015幎8月20日星期四 UTC+8䞊午10時42分33秒寫道
Jonathan Xavier Grazina
2015-10-19 08:02:06 UTC
Hello,

Sorry for being a newbie, is it possible now to have android-x86 in a Surface 3 non pro ?

Thank you !
Milan Parikh
Saipudin Haris
2015-08-03 00:32:30 UTC
Could you dump your eMMC drive partition which contains the installed
Android x86?
If yes, then dump it, compress it using 7zip, upload to google drive and
provide
the link so every body can "see" what happend with your android x86
installation.
Jim
2015-08-01 09:33:47 UTC
Bernardæ–Œ 2015幎7月22日星期䞉 UTC+8䞊午7時51分49秒寫道
Post by Bernard
I have a Surface 3 4/128 in my possession at the moment. It's a slick piece of kit, but all the Android-x86 builds do not boot.
I see "Detecting Android-x86..." and then light on USB flash drive looks like it loads the system, but no GUI presents.
I've tried Sandman01's Surface builds as well as the new 4.4-r3. This would definitely be the tablet I'd settle with if I could get Android working.
How can I help?
No, I try on my Surface 3 and get black screen too. Waiting for someone can do this working.