Manually update kernel 4.18.14 in Android x86-64 7.1 R2?
Haukness
2018-11-15 21:43:06 UTC
Good afternoon,

I have an old Dell Optiplex 390 PC that I am currently running Android
x86-64 7.1 R2 on. This build runs well and is stable, and it runs all of
my apps and games, with good mouse support and a touch-screen monitor. The
machine has an old Radeon HD 8570 graphics card installed, which has
hardware support in kernel 4.9.95 and provides hardware acceleration, and
it runs all the games I play fairly well at 1920x1080.

I have a much newer and more powerful Radeon RX 550, but *kernel 4.9.95*
does not have hardware support for that card. *Kernel 4.18.14*, which you
folks have included in Android x86 8.1 RC2, DOES support the RX 550, as
confirmed with an 8.1 RC2 LiveCD, and given that the card is far more
powerful than the HD 8570, it provides much better hardware acceleration.
However 8.1 RC2 has a multitude of other minor-but-annoying stability and
usability issues on the PC that have made me decide not to upgrade to 8.1
just yet.

My question is this: Is it possible and fairly simple to simply *update
the kernel in my existing 7.1 R2 installation to 4.18.14*, the version
included in 8.1 RC2? I anticipate doing this will allow me to use the RX
550 while continuing to use my existing 7.1 R2 installation. Can this be
done?

-Haukness
Haukness
2018-11-16 16:47:09 UTC
Chih-Wei,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and detailed instructions!

I installed 7.1 R2 in read-write mode, so I will take a backup image of my 7.1 R2 installation first, then try your instructions! I'll let you know how I make out.

-Haukness
Haukness
2018-11-16 21:54:03 UTC
Chih-Wei,

[image: Kernel Updated.png]
I followed your instructions, and was able to copy the updated kernel and
it's modules from an 8.1 RC3 LiveCD to my 7.1 R2 installation. Success!

I then installed the RX 550 in the machine, and have confirmed it now works
correctly and provides hardware acceleration under the new kernel. Thank
you very much again for the help!

-Haukness
Paweł Styrna
2018-11-18 22:16:30 UTC
Hello!
After reading that post i do the same way to update my kernel in 7.1-2
32bit because of dualshock 4 modules in newer kernel.

I've followed instructions by mr. Chih-Wei and after reboot my android
stuck on black screen , probably bootloop ;(
Kernel I used from 8.1-rc2 32bit is copied succesfull. So what happened
when I updated my kernel , what i've doing wrong ?
Paweł Styrna
2018-11-18 22:18:30 UTC
Of course Android is installed in read-write mode on ext4 partition
youling 257
2018-11-19 02:09:50 UTC
32bit 7.1 userspace used 32bit binder, 32bit 8.1 userspace used 64bit
binder.
the different is CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_32BIT.
32bit 7.1 kernel CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_32BIT=y
32bit 8.1 kernel # CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_32BIT is not set

圚 2018幎11月19日星期䞀 UTC+8䞊午6:16:30Paweł Styrna写道
Paweł Styrna
2018-11-19 18:03:43 UTC
thanks for answer