How to make my GTX 1080TI to work with Android x86?
Christian Jamoner
2018-07-17 02:05:02 UTC
Hi,

I've tried different releases of Android x86 but it uses software rendering
instead of using my hardware.
I also tried installing Phoenix OS v3.0.2 with kernel version 4.14.15 and
it works really well with my gpu -
GL Vendor: nouveau
GL Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV132
GL Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.1.10(git-602d023)
I can even benchmark with 3d mark with 5k+ score
I tried building from source with Android x86 oreo and nougat and use
PREBUILT_KERNEL with the Phoenix os but fails. It boots but it goes to
software rendering again same when i used the pre-built isos. I also tried
nouveau.modeset=1 i915.modeset=0.

So my question is, how can I have the same graphics performance with
Phoenix OS but using Android x86? I could have settled with phoenix but I
wanted to have a more android look, phoenix os doesn't feel like android :).
Can someone point me in the right direction? Is it in the kernel that i
need to configure properly? I know it's possible coz phoenix is just
android x86 but i just dont know how.
Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you!! Also, I'm not expecting
100% performance on my gpu, 40-50% is fine.

Hardware:
gtx 1080 ti
i7-7700k
b250mk mobo

Regards,
Christian
Mauro Rossi
2018-07-17 13:22:46 UTC
Hi Christian,
in case you want to try ISO with kernel 4.16, there is an iso at following
link, named oreo_x86_64_8.1rc1_mesa-18.1.3_optional_HWCOMP1_modetest.iso

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_OFHiIqgpSFTFpkQWc1eXV3ME0

In order to use it, please consider the following:

- not using the HWCOMP=1 kernel cmdline will enable the default gralloc.drm
(as per oreo-x86-rc1 of android-x86)
- kernel cmdline HWCOMP=1 enables new stack hwcomposer.drm + gralloc.gbm
(but the stack is still experimental and I prefer to receive feedbacks on
*_hwc1_* ISOs)

You can try the default mode to see if hw acceleration works for your GTX
1080TI.

I also encourage people with GT 1030, GTX 1050, GTX 1080 and willing to try
one session with Live CD Boot to provide feedbacks.

GT 1030 related feedbacks would be very appreciated.

Mauro

iskatel85
iskatel85
2018-07-17 17:15:57 UTC
Post by iskatel85
Hello. I tried to run it on the GTX 970 - Android does not start.
Sorry my bad English
Забыл упПЌяМуть, LiveCD.
iskatel85
2018-07-17 19:26:05 UTC
I Forgot, I used the LiveCD.
Christian Jamoner
2018-07-19 05:17:26 UTC
Hi Mauro. Thanks. But it does not boot for me both with and without hwcomp. Im following the nouveau experiment thread by the way for any future test needed. Thanks.
Mauro Rossi
2018-07-19 06:47:00 UTC
Hi Christian,
I must have made some mistake in that ISO image, sorry for that

Il giorno giovedì 19 luglio 2018 07:17:26 UTC+2, Christian Jamoner ha
Post by Christian Jamoner
Hi Mauro. Thanks. But it does not boot for me both with and without
hwcomp. Im following the nouveau experiment thread by the way for any
future test needed. Thanks.
I am also seeing some crash in Google Playstore you are mentioning,
in my case Google Playstore can be launched, sign-in is ok
and then the application crashes when searching for an app or browising 'my
apps' on the left.
Do you see the same problem?

Logcat in debug mode is useful
Mauro
Christian Jamoner
2018-07-19 08:50:05 UTC
Hi Mauro,

I've read somewhere that opengapps for Oreo need webview patch but I'm not sure if applicable for x86 x86_64 and I haven't tried it.
https://github.com/AOSPA/android_frameworks_base/commit/d36582165d4694da101cc65755af0841d443c80e
https://github.com/AOSPA/android_frameworks_base/commit/b70f5994464cf6b3b29cedcc4efdd73807a27b0f

I will provide you those logs when I have time to test. For now, I'm focusing on making my system work with android x86.
BTW I have completed build for nougat-x86_64 with kernel 4.14 and it works fairly with my gpu. Same 3d mark score 5900+.
So I'm sticking with nougat for now given the working Google Playstore and perform several tests.
In any case, does your nouveau recipes absolutely require 4.16 kernel? I can test build those recipes once im done on my system.

Regards,
Christian
Mauro Rossi
2018-07-19 18:56:54 UTC
Hi Christian,

Il giorno giovedì 19 luglio 2018 10:50:05 UTC+2, Christian Jamoner ha
Post by Christian Jamoner
Hi Mauro,
I've read somewhere that opengapps for Oreo need webview patch but I'm not
sure if applicable for x86 x86_64 and I haven't tried it.
https://github.com/AOSPA/android_frameworks_base/commit/d36582165d4694da101cc65755af0841d443c80e
https://github.com/AOSPA/android_frameworks_base/commit/b70f5994464cf6b3b29cedcc4efdd73807a27b0f
I will provide you those logs when I have time to test. For now, I'm
focusing on making my system work with android x86.
No problem and no hurry, I am also going to collect logs on different
Nvidia gpu to compare and see if the problem is the same.
Post by Christian Jamoner
BTW I have completed build for nougat-x86_64 with kernel 4.14 and it works
fairly with my gpu. Same 3d mark score 5900+.
So I'm sticking with nougat for now given the working Google Playstore and
perform several tests.
In any case, does your nouveau recipes absolutely require 4.16 kernel? I
can test build those recipes once im done on my system.
Regards,
Christian
The Recipe_*_.txt files on my Drive are focusing on vulkan anv and vulkan
radv enabled builds,
which require hwcomposer.drm + gralloc.gbm + mesa-dev (because of dma-bufs
support in egl/android platform is essential for vulkan to work)

Nouveau does not have vulkan support yet, so the recipes are not required,
even if in hwc1, hwc2 iso experimental ISOs hwcomposer.drm + gralloc.gbm
was enabled because nouveau supports atomic modesettings.

kernel 4.16 is not required if you use nouveau, I essentially use it
because of amd dc improved support.

Mauro
Christian Jamoner
2018-07-19 05:35:07 UTC
Hi Chih-Wei,
Thanks for the instruction. I was able to compile with 4.14 kernel oreo-x86_64 successfully. I'm able to boot now with 1080ti in native resolution (3840x2160).
The problem is playtore is crashing. Is this known issue? If not i can provide logs.
3d mark is flawless with 5900 score although im limited at 30fps due to vsync i guess with my tv supporting only 30hz at 3840x2160.
Also i get an error with libhoudini when running certain apps. It says untrusted app. Probably because i downloaded it outside playstore cause coz playstore does not work for me in the first place? Any idea??
I'll try to compile nougat when i have time to see if it's better in any way.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Christian