Android-x86 on AppleTV gen1
opieum
2012-02-12 01:53:46 UTC
I was thinking that Android would make an amazing low overhead and
flexible device. Some specs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

Honestly both would work here. BUT seeing as I have 2 1st Gens lying
around I would love to tinker with them and get android on there. If
its been done is there a project out there? If not I would love to
learn to get it on there. I figure the biggest things would be the
remote and nvidia go 7300 driver.
Fragile Avatar
2012-02-13 05:28:18 UTC
This project will not be able to assist you there. This project aims
to bring Android to Intel x86 devices, which the Apple TV is not.

You might be better to talk with those who are familiar with Apple TV.
tintar
2012-02-13 06:08:26 UTC
opieum - please ignore the troll or whatever it was.

- because of the M cpu, first of all you'd need to build everything
using a non-SSE3 toolchain:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/d5a95dc4eb599ec2/0dd4272faef08ca0
(although Chih-Wei mentions here
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/d83c4567badfd903/a43cdae6655a3bed
that may not be necessary in future)

- for the NV46/G72 (~NV40) the nouveau driver may work well enough.

- if it's the broadcom 94321 wireless, that will probably be an issue.

- lan chip looks standard enough (realtek 8100c)

- ALC885 should work with intel hda driver.

- it sounds like you need to get an alternate bootloader in place to
boot any linux?

- remote may be a pain to configure, but looks like there are lirc
howtos for appletv (assuming lirc would play nice in android)

anyway it sounds like a bit of work, but definitely worth a try!
Corvus
2012-02-13 07:59:36 UTC
I have one and some experience with android-x86... but i dont have
much time. If you wanna start the project i can help you as much as i
can.

Like tintar said, maybe the most problematic is wifi, lirc, and if you
have one installed, the broadcom HW codec crystalhd.

About lirc: http://www.zokama.com/androlirc

About crystalhd: http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/1ebfd042ad4f46b7

Corvus.
Fragile Avatar
2012-02-13 09:15:33 UTC
If you really want to get this done check out what XBMC group have
done, they have the most experience with Apple hardware and have
ported the XMBC Player to Apple TV Gen 1 and Gen 2.

My response wasn't intended to be trollish, just pointing out we
mostly do x86 stuff here. The other issue you will have is how to
control it. You'll need at the least one of those WiFi Keyboard
applications so you can remotely send keystrokes. I'm unsure if the
first generation boxes have Bluetooth and for that matter second
generation probably don't.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_1_(Linux)

There is some mention of drivers, linux and firmware you will need on
your Apple Box in order for HDMI to function properly. Keep in mind
too, that Android would exist alongside your iOS, so any accidental
firmware update would not delete your Android install but would make
it inaccessible. I know that from my iPhone when I did an update, all
my Cydia apps and content were still there just couldn't use them
until I re jailbreak my device.

Good hunting!
opieum
2012-02-14 02:56:15 UTC
I am pretty clear on the project scope. Meaning x86 hardware. The
appletv gen1 is a pentium M x86 CPU based machine with an nvidia
7300go video card. The interface lends itself well to a media setup. I
got two of these devices so I may do a side by side and try windows on
one and android on the other just to try it. But I appreciate the
offers for help. This would be awesome. I will start building the
toolchain to get this rolling. Then the challenge is booting it.
Fragile Avatar
2012-02-14 06:04:48 UTC
Ah, see I didn't realize they used x86 chips for that one. Very
uncharacteristic of Apple. They always use obscure chips and shroud
products in mystery. ;-) My apologies.

You won't get graphics acdeleration on the 7300 but this snippet
should help:

"There is no hardware acceleration support for nvidia chip.

Remember to set cmdline video=-16. It should be helpful. But still
slower
than i915/i965/r600g which has hw acceleration. "

Seriously though, talk to the XBMC group as they had to hook into the
Apple TV somehow and I'm sure all that documentation is probably
readily available, they could tell you how they bootstraped the device
(if they had to). They would know about what kind of BIOS/Firmware it
uses.

http://simonloveapple.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-tv-1st-gen-hack.html

This pages mentions the patch stick method, where you create a usb
flash drive that will patch your Apple TV. You have to be running
certian OS version. The thing that caught my eye was you could install
Linux on the box, so it comes with various Linux tools. You could use
this patch stick method to install android on the unit.
opieum
2012-02-14 12:10:23 UTC
im quite familiar with the patchstick. In fact I am running it on the
current ATV setups now.
@tintar

I am going to see if atv-bootloader is an option to boot android on
the appleTV. This seems like the best route to go
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/LinuxUSBPenBoot
tintar
2012-02-14 14:00:02 UTC
right, that one seemed much more promising than the other 2 earlier
bootloaders. (even has some sort of wizard tool now -
http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/ - although seems limited,
you're likely right about having to do the manual steps)

exciting - wish I had one to build and test on!
Post by opieum
I was thinking that Android would make an amazing low overhead and
flexible device. Some specshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV
Honestly both would work here. BUT seeing as I have 2 1st Gens lying
around I would love to tinker with them and get android on there. If
its been done is there a project out there? If not I would love to
learn to get it on there. I figure the biggest things would be the
remote and nvidia go 7300 driver.- Hide quoted text -
opieum
2012-02-15 04:52:15 UTC
Well found some promising information.
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Booting_from_a_USB_Thumbdrive

If I apply this directly the drive itself vs a USB drive (obviously
that would be the last step once I verify the OS boots), this should
work. I will give it a try tommorrow and post results.
Corvus
2012-02-16 14:10:09 UTC
I have been thinking about this...

Wifi can be replaced, because is a mini-pci card, so we only need to
search for a compatible one.

But i get a real problem... the only display is using HDMI or
components, and i dont know if we can get any graphics with then
nouveau drivers...

Some test needed...

Corvus.