Commercial Application Testing
A Zen
2012-09-30 15:29:25 UTC
FIrst, an amazing effort here to port Android onto Intel.

I have 4.0 RC2 running on an older eeePC.
It installed perfectly and runs. The audio works. Keypad works. Keyboard
and hot keys work. Very nice.

I wanted to test it with commercial applications and see if I can use it to
drive an LCD TV.

The first test was display. I plugged the PC into the TV using a VGA cable.
I used the previously posted method for redirecting the output:
video=LVDS-1:d video=VGA-1 ***@60
The results are pretty good, there is some screen clipping.
Here is a link to the album<https://picasaweb.google.com/107241364758310054105/AndroidX86OrgBuild40RC2OnASUSDisplayedOnLCDTV?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCICd85T5xrraogE&feat=directlink>:

The next was tests with commercial applications: The results are:

1. QVC -- would not download. The message was "unsupported device".
2. NBC News -- the problem is the application rotates 90 CCW, and the
mouse pad movement is rotated too. The videos do play.
3. CBS News -- same as NBC.
4. Netflix -- installed but would not launch.
5. YouTube -- flawless, but I had to turn off HD playback.

Anyone else tested applications?

I will have to get into the O/S to fix the rotation (I am guessing)

I am impressed how fast the eeePC is. If I can get this to run, it will
make the machine useful again.
Christopher Price
2012-10-01 04:25:05 UTC
I'm not aware of many LCD TVs that use 1024x768 or XGA resolution. Most
HDTVs today run at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (960x540 if 1080i).

What you are probably experiencing is overscan, a common problem with all
computer-to-TV outputs.

Google has not provided an overscan tool, and the GPU vendor's overscan
correction tools are all intended for X11. In short, it's a problem.

The recommendation from Google at this point is to pad apps to account for
overscan in the UI. It's far from a true solution, however. I suspect
Google in future releases will add an overscan control to the Android
screen manager.

As to the performance issues, most of those are due to x86 vs ARM, and will
resolve themselves over time.
A Zen
2012-10-02 23:43:09 UTC
Chris -- you are correct about displaying on a LCD TV. The eeePC displayed
correctly on a 1080p monitor.

Any thoughts on supporting commercial applications? I am guessing Netflix
is looking at the hardware and won't work on anything that could capture
their broadcast.
The rotation is another problem.

At this point, I guess I either download the source and get involved or not.

Regards...
Christopher Price
2012-10-03 00:20:35 UTC
Well, if you wanted to work on an overscan implementation, I think that would be a great help.

As to apps being ported to x86, that is likely going to happen on its own. Chrome was just released a week or two ago for x86. With Intel launching flagship smartphones this year that use Medfield as their CPU, app developers are already getting pushed to port their apps to x86. I would not be surprised at all if the vast majority of the top 100 apps were x86-friendly by the time 2013 rolls around.

Our problem is that we need help right now maintaining the Android-x86 codebase. We just lost our main Mesa developer who was handling the porting of Mesa (had a baby), and I would say graphics is one of the main deficiencies in Android-x86 today.

Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
[...]
CBS News -- same as NBC.
Amogh Harish
2012-10-03 05:23:20 UTC
Post by Christopher Price
As to apps being ported to x86, that is likely going to happen on its
own. Chrome was just released a week or two ago for x86. With Intel
launching flagship smartphones this year that use Medfield as their CPU,
app developers are already getting pushed to port their apps to x86. I
would not be surprised at all if the vast majority of the top 100 apps were
x86-friendly by the time 2013 rolls around.

The Chrome release was for devices running Medfield CPU's only. Other
builds aren't supported at this time. Please research before posting.
Post by Christopher Price
Our problem is that we need help right now maintaining the Android-x86
codebase. We just lost our main Mesa developer who was handling the porting
of Mesa (had a baby), and I would say graphics is one of the main
deficiencies in Android-x86 today.
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
The first test was display. I plugged the PC into the TV using a VGA cable.
The results are pretty good, there is some screen clipping.
QVC -- would not download. The message was "unsupported device".
NBC News -- the problem is the application rotates 90 CCW, and the
mouse pad movement is rotated too. The videos do play.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
CBS News -- same as NBC.
Netflix -- installed but would not launch.
YouTube -- flawless, but I had to turn off HD playback.
Anyone else tested applications?
I will have to get into the O/S to fix the rotation (I am guessing)
I am impressed how fast the eeePC is. If I can get this to run, it
will make the machine useful again.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Groups "Android-x86" group.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/AS80Q0I6IicJ.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.
Christopher Price
2012-10-03 05:34:31 UTC
I'm well aware that the release was only targeting Medfield, please don't accuse people of not doing research. It's unproductive and can poison a team spirit.

I'd refer you to the existing thread that discusses Chrome-x86 in-depth, where I explained why it is only showing up on Medfield devices.

Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
dscm
2012-10-03 15:38:13 UTC
Post by Christopher Price
As to apps being ported to x86, that is likely going to happen on its
own. Chrome was just released a week or two ago for x86. With Intel
launching flagship smartphones this year that use Medfield as their CPU,
app developers are already getting pushed to port their apps to x86. I
would not be surprised at all if the vast majority of the top 100 apps were
x86-friendly by the time 2013 rolls around.
If you'd done the research you would know that the x86 code base
already runs apps
from arm and the playstore...check these threads and you'll see DanF
showed the way in
the June timeframe...lib houdini from the Intel Medfield release has
been implemented
by Chih-Wei in the x86 code base and expanded by others...you can even
use it on Gingerbread as well, it'll
be a while before app developers catch up and truly make their apps
compatible for x86..if at all...
remember AOSP is basically for phones...ie not many x86 cpu's on
phones and intel is 3-5 years
away to "truly" crack that market, if at all..it's like MS with
Windows 8...late to market but will compete
because of $$$..
Christopher Price
2012-10-03 16:02:54 UTC
DSCM, I'll ask the same. I've done my research. This is my day job.

You refer to libhoudini, which is only legally licensed for Intel Medfield
smartphones. It was nice of Hwang to include the hooks for libhoudini, but
Intel has made clear (to me, personally) that they have no plans to license
it for any other x86 device.

That means you cannot sell a device with libhoudini unless it's a Medfield
smartphone. Technically you're pirating libhoudini to use it on any other
device today. It's closed source, owned/licensed exclusively by Intel.

Without libhoudini, very few apps are x86-compatible today, but as I said,
that will change over the next couple of months, as developers are
encouraged by Intel and Google to make their apps x86-compatible, sans ARM
translators.

So yeah, I've done my research, let's stop the Test Christopher games
today, folks? I'm busy trying to work in making Android-x86 better.
Post by Christopher Price
I'd refer you to the existing thread that discusses Chrome-x86 in-depth,
where I explained why it is only showing up on Medfield devices.
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Our problem is that we need help right now maintaining the
Android-x86 codebase. We just lost our main Mesa developer who was handling
the porting of Mesa (had a baby), and I would say graphics is one of the
main deficiencies in Android-x86 today.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
The rotation is another problem.
At this point, I guess I either download the source and get
involved or not.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Regards...
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
The results are pretty good, there is some screen clipping.
The next was tests with commercial applications: The results
QVC -- would not download. The message was "unsupported device".
NBC News -- the problem is the application rotates 90 CCW, and
the mouse pad movement is rotated too. The videos do play.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
CBS News -- same as NBC.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
I am impressed how fast the eeePC is. If I can get this to run,
it will make the machine useful again.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Groups "Android-x86" group.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
To view this discussion on the web visithttps://
Post by Christopher Price
dscm
2012-10-03 16:14:33 UTC
ok...

now that we see where your really coming from...

"That means you cannot sell a device with libhoudini"

we can all move on...

I don't feel Android-x86 was started to see how many devices they
could sell....

but hey whatever
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Our problem is that we need help right now maintaining the
Android-x86 codebase. We just lost our main Mesa developer who was handling
the porting of Mesa (had a baby), and I would say graphics is one of the
main deficiencies in Android-x86 today.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
The results are pretty good, there is some screen clipping.
The next was tests with commercial applications:  The results
QVC -- would not download. The message was "unsupported device".
NBC News -- the problem is the application rotates 90 CCW, and
the mouse pad movement is rotated too. The videos do play.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
CBS News -- same as NBC.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
I am impressed how fast the eeePC is. If I can get this to run,
it will make the machine useful again.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Groups "Android-x86" group.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
2012-10-03 16:19:09 UTC
It's not a matter of device sales. You're completely missing the point. I
was explaining why Google is encouraging developers to port their code to
x86.

Libhoudini on a Medfield smartphone is no panacea. It runs slow. It takes a
superphone and makes a $99 Android phone seem faster. Libhoudini only seems
great for you, because you're running it on a laptop/tablet/supercomputer.
There, it runs fine.

Intel knows that Medfield smartphones won't sell well if all the apps have
to run through libhoudini. So they, and Google, are encouraging everyone to
dual-build their apps for ARM and x86.

That will pay dividends to Android-x86 since we'll get x86-clean apps in
the process, and we won't need libhoudini to make Android-x86 a commercial
success.

Sorry you don't care about making Android-x86 successful commercially, but
that's how you get companies, like mine, to dedicate entire teams to making
the project better.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
Post by Christopher Price
would not be surprised at all if the vast majority of the top 100
apps
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
were
Post by Christopher Price
I'm well aware that the release was only targeting Medfield, please
don't accuse people of not doing research. It's unproductive and can
poison
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
a team spirit.
Post by Christopher Price
Well, if you wanted to work on an overscan implementation, I
think
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
that would be a great help.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
main deficiencies in Android-x86 today.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
Netflix is looking at the hardware and won't work on anything that
could
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
capture their broadcast.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
I wanted to test it with commercial applications and see if I
can
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
use it to drive an LCD TV.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
The first test was display. I plugged the PC into the TV
using a
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
VGA cable.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price
Post by dscm
the mouse pad movement is rotated too. The videos do play.
Post by Christopher Price
Post by Christopher Price
Post by A Zen
Post by Christopher Price