Open Letter To The Android-x86 Team
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-05 19:52:11 UTC
From our webzine
at https://volocian.com/open-letter-to-the-android-x86-team/

Hello!

My name is Richard MacInnis, founder of Volocian Studios. I just wanted to
write a quick note to say thank you so much for your work, and to let you
know that we’re spreading the open source word :-).

We’ve just announced the availability of syncOSx86, our Android based
distribution for x86 CPUs. syncOS boots directly into syncUI (our custom
KODI build) for the smoothest TV experience available in any OS to my
knowledge. While our SYNC consoles are based on ARM machines, we really
wanted to give back to the community in an easy to use way, and that’s
where Android-x86 has come in. Once we had a portable version of syncUI
ready, it was super easy to port to Android-x86 and make into an
installable disk image, and we want you to know we really appreciate your
efforts, as we could not have done this at all without you.

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions about syncOSx86, please
write back and I’ll be happy to do whatever we can to help out your project
as you’ve already helped out ours, and of course please check out our
console and our distribution and let us know what you think :-).

Thanks again and again,
Richard MacInnis – Volocian Studios

SYNC – The Indie Console
https://volocian.com/wiki/sync-the-indie-console/

syncOSx86 FAQ
https://volocian.com/wiki/syncosx86-faq/

syncOSx86 Download
https://volocian.com/shop/syncosx86/
Robert Coldbird
2018-02-05 20:13:44 UTC
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a handful of
issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos / codecs, which might
not make it the most suitable platform for a kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on this
platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-05 20:21:24 UTC
I hadn't noticed that, very interesting! Admittedly our actual product is
ARM based, and we just use android-x86 for what's essentially an interface
demo, but that's certainly good to know should anyone run into issues with
higher resolution or should we ever decide to actually ship x86 hardware...
Post by Robert Coldbird
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a handful of
issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos / codecs, which might
not make it the most suitable platform for a kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on this
platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Povilas Staniulis
2018-02-05 23:27:35 UTC
I wonder why didn't use x86 initially ?
Your device would have much better compatibility for general Linux stuff
and better hackability too.
Post by Richard R MacInnis
I hadn't noticed that, very interesting! Admittedly our actual product
is ARM based, and we just use android-x86 for what's essentially an
interface demo, but that's certainly good to know should anyone run
into issues with higher resolution or should we ever decide to
actually ship x86 hardware...
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a
handful of issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos /
codecs, which might not make it the most suitable platform for a
kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on
this platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-05 23:33:55 UTC
Simply, ARM is cheaper for our use case. Our development machine (which is
itself still in development) however, is x86 based and both dual boots
between syncOSx86 and Ubuntu, as well as uses "qemu-android" to start up
the same system image from within the Gnome Desktop, giving developers easy
access to an android image on the same system they develop on as well as
allowing them to use all the great GNU/Linux editors, terminals, multimedia
content creation apps (like GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, Android Studio, etc.)
while giving users the ability to run Android games and Steam side by side
:-).
Post by Richard R MacInnis
I hadn't noticed that, very interesting! Admittedly our actual product is
ARM based, and we just use android-x86 for what's essentially an interface
demo, but that's certainly good to know should anyone run into issues with
higher resolution or should we ever decide to actually ship x86 hardware...
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a
handful of issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos /
codecs, which might not make it the most suitable platform for a
kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on
this platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Povilas Staniulis
2018-02-05 23:55:29 UTC
I don't think modern Intel SoC cost that much more than ARM (for the
same performance), but then again, I'm not a hardware designer :)
I wish someone would make an x86 based Android box.

I did some hacking with ARM Android devices in the past and it's a PITA
to get anything to work outside of Android, especially OpenGL stuff.
Most ARM chipmakers don't care about supporting Linux stuff that's not
used in Android, like full OpenGL (not that crippled ES crap), proper
X.org drivers, etc.
Not to mention most are stuck on using ancient kernel versions, (like
3.10 or even 3.4) with no possibility to upgrade due to ugly vendor
specific patches.

Anyway that's just my personal thoughts which are off-topic. Good luck
on your project.
Post by Richard R MacInnis
[...]
    Am Montag, 5. Februar 2018 20:52:11 UTC+1 schrieb Richard
        From our webzine at

'David G' via Android-x86
2018-02-19 16:22:12 UTC
I noticed that Kodi performance was terrible on Kodi 17 for every video I
tried to play (HD or SD). Video stutters every few seconds while audio is
fine.

I installed Kodi 18 alpha and there was no stuttering, but video quality
was pretty bad (aliasing of titles, etc.).

Is someone working on the Graphics drivers?
Post by Robert Coldbird
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a handful of
issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos / codecs, which might
not make it the most suitable platform for a kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on this
platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-19 18:02:46 UTC
@Leon: Sorry I haven't had the time to check this out - yes, the "easy" way
is to install on USB and copy those files as you've done - nice work :-).
I'm not too sure why it would be stuck at the bootlogo, but I'll take a
look at my grub entry this evening and send it along so you can compare it
to yours to see if that is perhaps an issue.

@David G: I hadn't noticed either of those issues here though all our x86
machines are running Intel graphics so it very well could be a driver issue
(unfortunately I can read code better than I can write it and I can't even
read drivers in C or C++, so I'm personally not going to be a ton of help
with that, however, I'm pretty good at troubleshooting so...) - what are
your machine's specs, critically what kind of GPU is it?

From our webzine at https://volocian.com/open-l
'David G' via Android-x86
2018-02-19 20:06:02 UTC
I loaded Android-X86 Nougat 7.1 on an Intel NUC2820 which has an Intel HD
GPU Chipset.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/78953/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits/legacy-intel-nuc-kits/intel-nuc-kit-dn2820fykh.html

Netflix and Amazon Prime play videos just fine...only Kodi is "stuttering"
like it can't smoothly switch frame buffers. I found a setting in Kodi
Display Expert settings which can switch between doublebuffering and triple
buffering but that didn't have any effect.

I googled "Kodi Stuttering Video" and many seem to have similar problems on
v17.x after upgrading from v16.x but no common resolution. I couldn't find
a Kodi APK for v16 that would run on Nougat, but although the v18 alpha APK
ran OK without the v17 stuttering but video seems to be very low quality.
I am guessing that some Kodi video feature is turned off in v18.

I assume it is something in Kodi 17 and its interface with the Android
OpenGL ES graphics system, but I don't know much about how the videos are
put up on the screen or OpenGL ES.

I plan to play with it some more though....my other sticking point is
receiving Infrared Remote Control signals which is another post.
Post by Robert Coldbird
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a handful
of issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos / codecs, which
might not make it the most suitable platform for a kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on this
platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
'David G' via Android-x86
2018-02-19 22:00:21 UTC
Figured it out.

I turned off "Settings -> Display -> Allow hardware acceleration -
MediaCodec (surface)" and the stuttering went away for Kodi v17.6.
Post by Robert Coldbird
Your work is appreciated, however android-x86 still has quite a handful
of issues when it comes to hardware accelerated videos / codecs, which
might not make it the most suitable platform for a kodi-prepacked build.
Everything up to 720p should software-decode just fine pretty much
anywhere, but I'm a bit worried about higher resolution content on this
platform for the time being.
From our webzine at
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-09 16:00:30 UTC
Hi Chih-Wei, thanks for your kind encouragement. As we are working on a
hardware spec for an x86 based machine right now, I would absolutely love
to donate one or more of them to Android-x86 developers once we have a
final image and hardware spec. Sadly I'm not much help with low level code
or even submitting a patch (my expertise is mostly in integration,
scripting, and design), but if I make any changes or new discoveries about
your project as I'm playing around with it I'll happily submit those as
well. How would I get said hardware to the team? Should I mail them to a
central location to be distributed or contact individual developers such as
yourself?

Thanks again for taking a look,
RIchard MacInnis
Volocian Studios
Post by Richard R MacInnis
as you’ve already helped out ours, and of course please check out our
console and our distribution and let us know what you think :-).
Hi Richard,
Thank you for sharing syncOSx86.
Glad to see the good progress.
If you have patches to improve low level
hardware support, welcome to submit them.
If possible, you may also consider to donate
some hardware to help our developers.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Leon De Andrade
2018-02-13 21:27:23 UTC
After the boot logo, everything crashes all the time. I had this error on
Bliss Os too, making a grub entry and installing it through, this fixed it.
But as far as I know, that`s only possible with an iso and not with an
image. Would be great if you can provide an iso file.
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-13 22:20:08 UTC
I've encountered massive crashing on virtual box but not on physical
hardware - having said that I've only tried it on the four different
machines we have here, but as the disk image is just a copy of a physical
install I haven't seen any difference whether it's installed to a hard
drive or flash USB stick. Do you mean that you're mounting the rootfs
partition in grub from *within* the image (somewhere on another disk), or
that you've installed the image to a physical disk and would like to modify
the grub entry?

Unfortunately an iso will be a but trickier as it requires extra steps,
especially moving most of the data into a squashfs and minimizing that so
the result is less than 4GB. Not saying it won't happen, but it would take
some work...
Leon De Andrade
2018-02-14 13:45:09 UTC
I copied the image on my usb stick with etcher (-> dd command). It directly
boots without having an option to select "Live Image or install" ... I
suppose, you don't offer a Live image, but it looks like it was a live
image, because it directly boots into android. Or at least one could see in
the background parts of android, it was overlayed by tons of crashing
errors.
On Bliss Os it works after extracting the iso and copying parts of this
(kernel.img, install img etc.) into a directory on my Linux machine. So for
example:
I have next to the usr, var etc. directories now a BlissOs Directory
containing a data folder, initrd.img, install.img, kernel, ramdisk.img and
a system.sfs.
Afterwards I edit a file of grub2, where I say grub add this Os to my menue.

I think it's kind of a way to directly install an iso to my SSD.

Maybe you have an idea, why this works or if it's possible to do this with
syncOs too.

By the way, do you have a telegram group for syncOs? If you haven't, please
consider to open one. It's much easier and faster to find a solution and
provide you feedback. I can't wait to test syncOs, it sounds really good.
Richard R MacInnis
2018-02-14 14:52:03 UTC
I hadn't heard of telegram groups, but I'll certainly look into it: thanks
for the tip on that :-). Yes, you should be able to copy the system
directory into an existing partition and add a Grub menu entry on your
running system, just copy the grub entry from the disk image if you need a
template - I do this for dev machines, though I haven't noticed any
difference in crashability there whether it's on a usb disk, sd card, or
physical disk. I can't say without knowing for sure, but it *sounds* like
there is an issue with the USB bus on your machine (on android-x86). I
would recommend doing exactly as you say: copy the files to an internal
disk on a bus other than USB and add the appropriate grub entry.
Leon De Andrade
2018-02-17 14:35:42 UTC
Telegram is just a better whatsapp. A lot Projects for example Anbox,
Ubuntu Touch, Bliss os etc. have a telegram group you can join. I guess
that's the easiest way to stay in contact, get some help, give feedback,
announce new informations.

I don't know where to get the template. Maybe you can help me.
I extracted the img.xz file into a folder called synosx86 and moves it to
/. (Next to usr, var etc.)

Now I want to make a menuentry for syncos. It usually looks like this:

menuentry syncosx86 {
set root='(hd0,5)' //it's on sda partition 5
linux /syncosx86/syncos.img quiet root=/dev/ram0
androidboot.hardware=generic_x86 SRC=/syncosx86
initrd /syncosx86/syncosx86.img
}

Normally it would be linux /syncosx86/kernel and initrd
/snyosx86/initrd.img. How can I do this with just a .img file?
Leon De Andrade
2018-02-19 14:11:42 UTC
Just to give a update:

I created a new partition and installed SyncOs on it with the dd command.
Unfortunatly, it doesn't worked well, because my Computer had some problems
with the file format of the partition afterwards.
Next thing I tried out was installing it on my USB stick and just copy the
files on the partition. It worked really good and I was able to add a grub
entry.It recognizes the kernel etc. , but it stucks on the boot logo. I
wasn't able to get further than the SyncOs boot logo.

I am not quite sure if this a progress.