Android-x86 + RemixOS ROM
Karol Putra
2015-10-31 00:07:44 UTC
Hello,

I've got a suggestion for Android-x86 developers and ROM porters.
A while ago RemixOS was born - the first true Android ROM with PC UI. Not long ago it's makers Jide (with Google veterans as founders) successfully finished their Kickstarter campaign gathering $1,647,155 of $50,000 goal - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jidetech/remix-mini-the-worlds-first-true-android-pc/description.

But they focus on Android current ARM architecture devices. Since they've released RemixOS for Nexus tablets - Nexus 9 and Nexus 10 - it should be possible to successfully port their work to other devices and maybe to Android-x86 to have the awesome PC UI.

Here u can see how RemixOS 2.0 (Lollipop) works -

More info about the OS from official producer source - http://www.jide.com/en/remixos

I think it would be a great idea to use their work to bring RemixOS to real PC's.
I don't know how it looks from the Copyright side, but as soon as any of you would report in for porting it then I could personally try to reach Jide about the issue.
I've tried contacting them and recommending looking into Android-x86 project, but they seem to ignore my messages.

Please let me know what you think guys.
Cheers
Karol Putra
2015-10-31 00:09:10 UTC
And one more thing:

If anyone wants to try
- Nexus 9 RemixOS ROM - https://forum.jide.com/index.php?p=/discussion/770/nexus-9-rom-now-available
- Nexus 10 RemixOS ROM - https://forum.jide.com/index.php?p=/discussion/601/nexus-10-rom-available-here
Saipudin Haris
2015-10-31 04:11:13 UTC
RemixOS also runs on x86 (using custom kernel)
=====================================

RemixOS v1.0 Image for Cube i7 (Intel® Core™ M Processor (formerly Skylake))
http://otacdn.jide.com/thirdparty/images_i7_remix-B2015092001-signed.zip

RemixOS v1.0 Image for Teclast X98 (Intel Bay Trail-T (Intel Atom))
http://otacdn.jide.com/thirdparty/images_teclast_x98_air3-B2015082601-signed.zip

more:
http://www.jide.com/en/remixos/devices
Karol Putra
Karol Putra
2015-10-31 19:22:44 UTC
Ok thank you @Chih-Wei Huang for commenting on this. That was actually my main point here. I wanted to be sure that the main developer knows that RemixOS exists and would be perfect to have it's features in Android-x86.

It if is possible - close the topic. (on this IMO crappy forum, which isn't really a forum, but weird e-mail system).

I'll try to convince Jide into looking into Android-x86 and maybe they will make some arrangements to make RemixOS for PC possible.

Thanks
bornagainpenguin
2015-11-01 23:29:52 UTC
A quick question--how can it not be open source? It's based on Android is
it not?
Doesn't android include GPL code, which makes it a requirement to share the
code modified?

Not trying to start trouble, I just have been disappointed that no
desktop\laptop versions of an interface have become standard in Android x86
and like others had been anticipating the changes from RemixOS eventually
making their way here. Now I'm seeing that this doesn't seem likely or
even possible?
Guys,
This is Android-x86 OPEN SOURCE Project.
RemixOS is not open source.
Porting it to any unlicensed device is not allowed.
Discussing it in the forum is also inappropriate.
It should be stopped.
You have been warned!
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
fgdn17
2015-10-31 01:15:43 UTC
FYI - from android-x86.net forums

August 13, 2015, 02:02:14 AM »
Copied from the RemixOS website:
" Disclaimer: Remix OS is only licensed to authorized business partners and
pre-loaded on specific product models of those partners;it's not intended
for personal use. "

As far as I can tell they haven't released any source code yet, only
images, so you would have to reverse engineer one to get the interface.
http://youtu.be/WLWJcnE7ywc
Karol Putra
Povilas Staniulis
2015-11-02 12:52:59 UTC
Only the kernel is open source under GPLv2, which requires vendors to share
the source with any modifications they made.
Android itself is licensed under Apache License 2.0 which does not require
vendors to share the modified source.