4.2 runs from live cd, but bootloops on android logo when installed to HDD
t***@public.gmane.org
2013-02-20 14:58:43 UTC
I'm running an HP Tx2z. Have run the tx2500 ICS build (touch drivers not
working), the asus ICS build (couln't boot at all), and the 4.2 dev build
all from live CDs. The JB build boots from live cd just fine, multitouch
loads up and works, the only issue is it seems to be missing wifi drivers,
and thats a seperate and less difficult problem I suppose than this.

I liked the way that JB handled on my machine and made the jump to install
to hard disk, alongside my fresh windows 7 install. There is only a single
NTFS partition on my disk. Grub setup fine, and I can access/boot my
windows 7 install, yet when trying to boot android the system makes it as
far as the android graphic screen and basically bootloops there. The splash
screen flickers constantly and the system never loads, I've let it sit as
long as an hour like this. I had tried a suggestion a few posts below mine
in another thread, to try ctrl+alt+f1 and look at the log, but the system
seems unresponsive to this command.

The funny thing is, when booting from live CD, and then choosing the
install to hard disk option, the system seems to install just fine, and
when presented with the "run android" option at the end of that process, it
runs fine. Yet if I shut it down, and start the machine up again, android
simply cannot finish booting from hard disk.

I'm not really sure where to begin with this one, but I am entirely
computer literate in that if anyone has any suggestions I don't exactly
need the laymans version of it.

I had set the system to install as read/rite capable, it seems to me that
if I had intended to modify it in any significant way that Id want this
option. I'd tried setting userdata image size to both the min and max just
to see about a change, no difference either way.

Anyone got any thoughts?
electrik jesus
electrik jesus
Erik Johansen
Thanos Papoutsis
2013-03-04 08:46:03 UTC
I have exactly the same issue. When i install it as read/write and run the
android right after installation without rebooting everything is ok, but
when i reboot the system makes it as far as the android graphic screen and
basically bootloops there. If reinstall it as normal no read/write its ok
but i need the read/write option cause i want to do some changes in the
system folder. I tryied everything any suggestion?
Jon West
2013-03-05 21:34:02 UTC
The only other option is a straight ext3 install of android ONLY :( no
windows :( this way android sees it as the first and only partition. The
only other option is finding a way to mount a virtual partition from a .fs
file.
Thanos Papoutsis
2013-03-06 17:38:31 UTC
I formatted a usb stick in ext3 i installed only android in rea/write mode
but nothing happened. Exactly the same behaviour as before. If not reboot
android loads ok after reboot pc cant boot to android. I dont know what to
do
Jon West
2013-03-07 12:41:06 UTC
I think that it might be because Grub is written to the boot sector of the
HD and Android isn't on the HD, so it cant find it. Try to install Android
to the HD and see if it will boot instead of the USB drive.
dscm
2013-03-08 17:46:09 UTC
located this...give it a try

Partition your USB drive/SDCard, into two partitions, using this
EaseUS Partition Master, which is what I used.

Partition layout needs to be one with 1GB of space with FAT32
filesystem, that is for the installer.

Remaining partition of type ext3 (Linux partition).

The installer, when live-booting from the USB Drive/SDCard, will show
the just-created partition on the USB/SDCard, just select that
partition to install on it and its done.
Jon West
dscm
2013-03-07 16:40:37 UTC
these "issues" have been around a while...and been solved by many in
these forums

1) shrink your windows partition leaving 2-4GB of free space

2) use gparted(google it) and format your new 2-4GB partition as ext3

3) install whatever flavor of android-x86 from usb flash drive to your
new 2-4GB partitioned/formatted
space

4) select install grub when asked, also select add windows when asked

this method is known to work fine.......

can't use fat/ntfs/whatever...good luck
Thanos Papoutsis
dscm
2013-03-08 15:47:15 UTC
why would you want to??? but anyway...I have installed android-x86
onto sd card
and it worked fine as I recall.....

try this if you must: http://www.austintek.com/dual_boot_usb_flash_drive/
Christian Starling