jb-x86: Enabling touchpad as a mouse in generic/x86
Ron M
2013-02-10 23:09:37 UTC
I have a feeling this is a trivial one, but I don't have enough experience
with the idc files:

I am trying to run jb-x86 on a Dell E6420 laptop, which has no touchscreen,
but does have a touchpad.
ics-x86 ran great on it without any modifications (e.g, the asus-laptop
target), but jb-x86 has the following annoying behavior:
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch device. For
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So does
the trackball.

I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
config issue,and I tried to modify GenericTouch.idc as follows:
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting stuck
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
setting a config in
framework/base/services/java/com/android/server/input/InputManagerService.java
for deciding laptopmode from tabletmode -
but I'm almost sure there is a much simpler solution.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Ron
Chih-Wei Huang
2013-02-11 02:45:55 UTC
If you change to use ics-x86 kernel in jb-x86,
does it work normal?
Post by Ron M
I have a feeling this is a trivial one, but I don't have enough experience
I am trying to run jb-x86 on a Dell E6420 laptop, which has no touchscreen,
but does have a touchpad.
ics-x86 ran great on it without any modifications (e.g, the asus-laptop
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch device. For
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So does the
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting stuck
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Ron M
dscm
2013-02-11 19:44:04 UTC
FWIW:

got a chance to try it today on my wife's older laptop....

HP G60T

was running our latest build(from liveusb) and the touchpad on the
laptop controlled the mouse on the screen exactly as it does in
windows
on this laptop...
Post by Ron M
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting  touch.deviceType   to touchPad -   didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck
Post by Ron M
on  "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
Ron M
2013-02-11 21:03:31 UTC
I found that bastard:
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS should be disabled.

If you run into a similiar problem, try to check the output of
"dmesg | grep input".
If you see (when an external mouse is not connected of course) a
message such as the following message:
"input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input4" , indicating that a PS/2
device has been discovered - you are good to go.

If you see something else, such as:
"input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input5 " - there goes your
problem.

We will need to work hard to support a generic target with all those
different manufacturers.

-Ron Munitz
Post by Ron M
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck
Post by Ron M
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
dscm
2013-02-11 21:40:24 UTC
so the "newer" laptops use a different protocol from the older PS2
stuff??

and cause issues???

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/input:10236-TOUCH/
Post by Ron M
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting  touch.deviceType   to touchPad -   didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck
Post by Ron M
on  "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
dscm
2013-02-11 21:42:57 UTC
so the "newer" laptops use a different protocol from the older PS2
stuff??

and cause issues???

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/input:10236-TOUCH/

and disabling CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS may eliminate 75% of the older
laptops...

so much for a universal build.....LOL
Post by Ron M
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting  touch.deviceType   to touchPad -   didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck
Post by Ron M
on  "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
Ron M
fuzzy7k
2013-02-12 16:44:03 UTC
Disabling the driver is probably the lame way to go. This was done back in
froyo or gingerbread days for the synaptics touchpads. The reason you are
having problems is probably the same, the driver reports the device as a
touchpad, and Android does not know how to interpret that.

Having a proper idc file should solve the problem. The settings below
should make the device act as a mouse. I noticed a bug in jb though, it
expects clicks to come from tapping the pad. If you use a button, tracking
get temporarily disabled.

# Basic Parameters
touch.deviceType = pointer
touch.gestureMode = pointer

# Touch Size
touch.touchSize.calibration = default

# Tool Size
touch.toolSize.calibration = default

# Pressure
touch.pressure.calibration = default

# Size
touch.size.calibration = default

# Orientation
touch.orientation.calibration = none
touch.orientationAware = 1
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So
does
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
the
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system
getting
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
stuck
Post by Ron M
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved
by
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
for deciding laptopmode from tabletmode -
but I'm almost sure there is a much simpler solution.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
send an
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.
tabletsx86
2013-02-12 19:46:57 UTC
Post by fuzzy7k
noticed a bug in jb
is or is not this also a bug in jb......???

  in init.sh for x86 product

       case statement for init_hal_gralloc

               init_uvesafb
               ;&      <------------operator termination ?????

am familiar with starting a background process but thought a case
operator had to be terminated with

               ;;        <-------------case operator terminator......

been too long.....so am not sure???
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons  do not work. Only the lower ones do. So
does
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
the
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
- setting  touch.deviceType   to touchPad -   didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system
getting
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
stuck
Post by Ron M
on  "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved
by
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Chih-Wei Huang
2013-02-13 06:58:55 UTC
Please create another thread for a new discussion.

To answer this question, ;& means pass through
the next case. It's intentional, not a bug.
been too long.....so am not sure???
fuzzy7k
2013-02-13 13:01:42 UTC
Yeah, I'm sorry. It's also a bug in ics.
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch
device.
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
For
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones
do. So
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
does
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
the
Post by Ron M
trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
kernel
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system
getting
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
stuck
Post by Ron M
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be
resolved
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
by
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Ron M
for deciding laptopmode from tabletmode -
but I'm almost sure there is a much simpler solution.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org
Google
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
Groups
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
send an
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
Visit this group athttp://
groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.
Post by fuzzy7k
Post by Ron M
Post by dscm
Post by Ron M
Post by Chih-Wei Huang
For more options, visithttps://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
send
JPT
2013-02-11 12:48:22 UTC
I get this behavior for my Touchpad with thinkpad ics builds, not for jb,
or other ics builds.
(I like it, because I may use the touchpad for scrolling and the mouse for
clicking. Would be great though if the stick (the one in the keyboard)
worked for emergency fallback when no mouse is attached.)

I believe it's because of the idc files. But I wasn't able to change the
behavoir yet (did not try hard)
For examples have a look into the config for synaptic touchpad in the
thinkpad device and compare to wacom or mouse config.
Post by Ron M
I have a feeling this is a trivial one, but I don't have enough experience
I am trying to run jb-x86 on a Dell E6420 laptop, which has no
touchscreen, but does have a touchpad.
ics-x86 ran great on it without any modifications (e.g, the asus-laptop
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch device. For
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So does
the trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting stuck
on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
Amir Rizvi
Greg McGee
2013-03-31 23:06:13 UTC
What, exactly is "your laptop"?

Newer machines (and even many older machines) have a USB touchpad, my 5
year old X300 Thinkpad falls into that camp, even has the craptastic ALPs
touchpad that lacks most of the features of the Synaptics like
multitouch.(although it uses the Synaptics driver)

OTOH, it works fine in conjunction with the touchpoint, and best of all---
it can be turned off.

If it was multitouch, the possibility of getting the gestures working at
least exists, but as it's an ALPs, it just gets in the way of typing.

dmesg |list will usually reveal what the Linux kernel is seeing/configuring.
Post by Ron M
I have a feeling this is a trivial one, but I don't have enough
I am trying to run jb-x86 on a Dell E6420 laptop, which has no
touchscreen, but does have a touchpad.
ics-x86 ran great on it without any modifications (e.g, the asus-laptop
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch device. For
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So does
the trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
Greg McGee

Greg McGee
2013-03-31 23:12:14 UTC
what, exactly, IS "my HP laptop?

the previous posts covered what to look for and how...

A lot of newer machines actually have USB touchpads etc.
(even some 5 year old machinesl, my X300 Thinkpad falls into that camp)
Amir Rizvi
2013-04-06 14:01:11 UTC
I am not an expert and was just looking if some one can explain
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS should be disabled. As this may help with the touch
pad.
Booting into Linux via a current std Live CD/DVD distro should provide
info on exactly what touchpad hardware you have, the correct drivers etc.
Most touchpads use the Synaptics driver. (I was under the impression they
all use it, even Alps etc)
Mageia has a some very nice GUI based system management/info tools, but
usually dmesg tells all.
Having it actually installed makes managing Android a lot easier as well
IMHO.
Most linux distros can be installed and quite usable on an 8G partition,
as long as you aren't trying to say ...build Android.
My old Lenovo X200 is my Linux "devel box" for Android as well as usual
host.
(8GB ram and a hybrid 750GB drive and it gets along surprisingly well)
As far as the idc files, android noob as well, but Google is usually my
friend.
Post by Ron M
I have a feeling this is a trivial one, but I don't have enough
I am trying to run jb-x86 on a Dell E6420 laptop, which has no
touchscreen, but does have a touchpad.
ics-x86 ran great on it without any modifications (e.g, the asus-laptop
1. Touchpad is not used as a mouse - but rather as a touch device. For
example, if I swipe my finger on the launcher it will move screens
2. The upper mouse buttons do not work. Only the lower ones do. So does
the trackball.
I think I set all relevant kernel params, so it is probably not a kernel
- setting touch.deviceType to touchPad - didn't help
- setting touch.deviceType to default resulted in the system getting
stuck on "A N D R O I D".
From a quick look I saw in other projects that this can be resolved by
Greg McGee

chefgonzo80-gM/Ye1E23mwN+
2013-05-09 19:16:24 UTC
Hi,

I am currently trying to get Android x86 working on an old Dell Latitude
D420 Laptop. I came across this touchpad issue too and found the following
work around:

from the Linux kernel-parameters.txt:

psmouse.proto= [HW,MOUSE] Highest PS2 mouse protocol extension to
probe for; one of (bare|imps|exps|lifebook|any).

By adding psmouse.proto=imps to the kernel command line, the touchpad works on my Laptop.

Greets
Florian