marshmallow-x86 branch is ready
fgdn17
2015-10-13 02:26:13 UTC
???
***@ubuntu-14LTS:~/MARSH-SYNC-6.0.0_r1$
***@ubuntu-14LTS:~/MARSH-SYNC-6.0.0_r1$ repo init -u
http://git.android-x86.org/manifest -b marshmallow-x86
fatal: repository 'http://git.android-x86.org/manifest/' not found
***@ubuntu-14LTS:~/MARSH-SYNC-6.0.0_r1$ date
Mon Oct 12 22:22:50 EDT 2015

was something missed???
Hi devs,
The marshmallow-x86 branch based on
Android 6.0 is ready to download.
See http://www.android-x86.org/getsourcecode
I only fixed all building errors of the
32-bit target android_x86 so
you can build the iso_img.
It's not even bootable to home.
64-bit target is not tested yet, either.
But it's useful for whose who want
to work on the marshmallow-x86 porting.
About the git server status.
It seems the server is overloading.
The errors happened most are out of memory,
especially on downloading big repositories
like kernel or frameworks/base.
For developers who really need to download
the source, please download the AOSP first
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b
android-6.0.0_r1
repo sync -c
repo init -u git://git.android-x86.org/manifest -b marshmallow-x86
repo sync
In this way only differences between AOSP and
marshmallow-x86 will be download.
You can also download marshmallow-x86 from
an old lollipop-x86 directory. It only downloads
the differences as well.
DO NOT make a fresh download.
It will probably never succeed.
If you are not a developer, please DO NOT download
the source code from git.android-x86.org now.
Please leave the resource to the real developers.
Just use the unofficial mirror posted in the forum.
I'll setup the an official mirror soon.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
David Brubaker
Geek Till It Hertz
2015-10-17 08:30:23 UTC
So i finally got the time to compile it and it compiled well enough,
although booting it was a different story.
The iso itself booted well upto the point where the android logo should
have appeared, instead i just got a static white cursor..... then nothing.
Upon running it in DEBUG mode it kept looping this output:

Povilas Staniulis
2015-10-17 12:39:59 UTC
Looks like the SurfaceFlinger is crashing with SIGABRT.
Can you get to the shell (IIRC, Ctrl+Alt+F1) or the boot is just stuck
at init phase ?
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HndAzCIoiIk/ViIG4TrIQLI/AAAAAAAAGVA/dslY2Nmfwsw/s1600/f97d6ece-ed4d-4d91-b564-5fcd61ddf195.jpg>
<http://git.android-x86.org> now.
Geek Till It Hertz
2015-10-17 12:42:13 UTC
I can get to the shell in DEBUG mode, its only after it asks me to exit the
second time that the said error occurs.

rbg
2015-11-08 07:51:46 UTC
wow.....what use to build in 3-31/2 hours now takes 11-12 hours....what am
I missing here...???
Have things changed by google that much??? This jack & jill thing takes
forever even if I change
.jack's SERVER_NB_COMPILE from 4 to 2 doesn't help much.....any tricks to
speed it up short of getting a newer
system which isn't going to happen......3ghz dual core cpu with 3gb
memory...has been reasonable since
2011 time frame with builds times. Any help / tricks / hacks???
Bradford Lilly
2015-11-17 21:34:58 UTC
[...]
I've looked into this a little (and about to be a lot more). I'm full well aware this isn't working yet, but figured I'd post some of what I'm seeing here for other / debugging. It seems there are a couple things going on:

* grub doesn't install. I noticed that grub-installer wasn't present on the install medium
* To get around this, I first installed android-x86-4.4, opted NOT to format, then did the upgrade
* The upgrade did not modify the old grub (as expected), so during boot you need to modify the grub options to point to the correct kernel / initrd
* I'm running this in a vm, so I need to add qemu=1 to the kernel line
* I boot to debug mode, set an ip address, then let android try to start.
* When I see the "ANDROID" logo rolling on the screen, adb connect / logcat
* Logcat indicates that it's having trouble with EGL. Not a surprise. I see the following:
11-17 21:02:17.898 1088 1088 I SurfaceFlinger: EGLSurface: 5-6-5-0, config=0x0
11-17 21:02:17.899 1088 1088 D SurfaceFlinger: Set power mode=2, type=0 flinger=0xb70e2000
11-17 21:02:17.932 1088 1089 E SurfaceFlinger: ro.sf.lcd_density must be defined as a build property
11-17 21:02:17.932 1102 1106 D libEGL : Emulator without GPU support detected. Fallback to software renderer.
11-17 21:02:17.932 1102 1106 D libEGL : loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so

I think the take away there is the config=0x0. I know that there was a commit in previous version (8d7c775a37640af2c4081ad03b23b27184deba19) from Andy Ross that resolved this (at least for me) in the past. Unfortunately, it looks like the EGLConfig algorithm has changed (83835359e51ddb8be37cea9bf4bb32f9390d82b7), so this might need to be tweaked.

Like I said, in the next few weeks I'm going to be digging into this full bore. Is there a working group for this port (or a topic dedicated to it)? I'd be happy to work with you to get this done.
stavros daliakopoulos
2015-11-19 17:14:53 UTC
https://github.com/karthick111/android_frameworks_native-1/commit/96fa12aadda21979e7bf4fe02c344aebb9e49276
Geek Till It Hertz
2015-11-27 09:39:02 UTC
With the recent bunch of commits, i synced my repo now and this is what i
got.
[PS. I know this is a WIP, i am not asking for anything just a friendly
update of the progress on marshmallow-x86]

I was able to get to the android boot animation while running it on virtual
box, i selected to normal live boot option.
On both of my bare-bone x86 machines (C2D and i3-2120) were able to get
into the android boot animation in Vesa mode only.
I have also attached the debug mode output, it automatically went into the
debug console.