Moving away from libhoudini
haziqsembilanlima
2018-11-05 10:54:21 UTC
For years we have been reliant on libhoudini to translate ARM instructions to x86. Obviously, in some cases it isn't ideal as there is absolutely zero details on how it functions and some projects refuse to include this library due to its own nature. As years have passed, there are very few new releases of Intel-based android tablets, if not no new releases at all.

As stated above, we have to move or establish a new alternative to overcome these challenges as I fear that android might introduce a new features that could break this functionality. Seeing some projects like Citra that manages to mature up their forked ARM translator makes me think that it is possible to move away from libhoudini (though it could be extremely complex)

Is there anyone attempting on this? Is there any interest on this kind of alternative?
youling 257
2018-11-05 11:08:46 UTC
chrome os stable channel Android 7.1, chrome os canary channel Android 9.0.
chrome os houdini at /opt/google/containers/android/vendor.raw.img.
extract houdini from chrome os,
https://github.com/me176c-dev/android_vendor_asus_K013/commits/cm-14.1
Borrow newer version of Houdini and Widevine DRM from Chrome OS
Update ChromeOS to 10176.76.0
https://github.com/me176c-dev/android_vendor_asus_K013/commits/lineage-16.0
Update Houdini and Widevine from ChromeOS Canary 11196.0.0 build
Mauro Rossi
2018-11-05 11:57:03 UTC
Hi youling257,
Post by youling 257
chrome os stable channel Android 7.1, chrome os canary channel Android 9.0.
chrome os houdini at /opt/google/containers/android/vendor.raw.img.
extract houdini from chrome os,
https://github.com/me176c-dev/android_vendor_asus_K013/commits/cm-14.1
Borrow newer version of Houdini and Widevine DRM from Chrome OS
Update ChromeOS to 10176.76.0
https://github.com/me176c-dev/android_vendor_asus_K013/commits/lineage-16.0
Update Houdini and Widevine from ChromeOS Canary 11196.0.0 build
Great contributions, as always

Do you know if there is some repo image with houdini for Android 8.1 or if
it is safe to use the versions bundled with Canary?

I am having a problem with Unity crashing vulkan apps and native bridge is
involved in the problem
Mauro
Tareq AL NOUNOU
2018-11-05 13:23:42 UTC
If you want my advice, try PrimeOS which is based off android 7.1.2 x86.

I have tried all sorts of x86 images and applied all kinds of Houdini mods
to get them to run the complex apps on Google Play Store.

PrimeOS's recent release is the most stable x86 release I have ever seen
with the ability to run OpenGL and Vulcan native apps straight out of the
box.

Give it a try and see if it'll work for you.
Post by Mauro Rossi
Hi youling257,
DDS Central
2018-11-05 13:52:57 UTC
Not really discussing forks here.

As for Houdini, qemu-user along with some shim libs could be a good
alternative. BlueStacks uses qemu and it seems to work quite well.
Post by Tareq AL NOUNOU
If you want my advice, try PrimeOS which is based off android 7.1.2 x86.
I have tried all sorts of x86 images and applied all kinds of Houdini mods
to get them to run the complex apps on Google Play Store.
PrimeOS's recent release is the most stable x86 release I have ever seen
with the ability to run OpenGL and Vulcan native apps straight out of the
box.
Give it a try and see if it'll work for you.
Post by Mauro Rossi
Hi youling257,
youling 257
2018-11-05 14:10:22 UTC
I can't answer your question, that's not my specialty.

chrome os stable version image bin file can use kpartx -av, but chrome os
canary image is signed, bin.signed, i haven't extract Android 9
vendor.raw.img.

圚 2018幎11月5日星期䞀 UTC+8䞋午7:57:04Mauro Rossi写道
Post by Mauro Rossi
Hi youling257,
Jon West