Kodi and netflix screen
Harkaman
2018-07-14 18:10:24 UTC

This photo is from netflix, and I have same issue on kodi as well. please
look at the right side of the tv screen.

I am using android-x86 oreo Rc1. Everything works fine since day 1
(oreo-x86). Yesterday, I noticed that There are ektra black border/gaps on
the right side and down/bottom side. Ii noticed this in Netflix and kodi. I
don't see this in other app like youtube.. Is it only me. I tested many
different device. The result is same. Then, I test nougat-x86, there is not
any issue with kodi and netflix. How can i fix this? IS there anyone have
experience this?
Michael Goffioul
2018-07-14 18:36:32 UTC
This is sounds very similar to the issue I had:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-x86/Ye9uA6cry0Q/discussion
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tK8mPVRbzcs/W0o8URRzJII/AAAAAAAAHRQ/ELLz_knFMz8sH4XV_DasXAEc-YHTkIW8QCLcBGAs/s1600/7669463131438992627.jpg>
Harkaman
Michael Goffioul
Michael Goffioul
Harkaman
2018-07-16 19:50:21 UTC
""Android Specific

- Moved to Android API 21 and SDK 21 with NDK 10 as minimum, meaning at
least Android 5.0 is now required[
<https://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)_changelog#cite_note-104>""

sorce: https://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)_changelog#cite_note-105
Michael Goffioul
2018-07-16 21:55:07 UTC
As far as I can see, kodi's target SDK is 23. If your screen minus the
navigation bar has an aspect ratio larger than 1.86, then you may end up
with black bars at the bottom and the right of the activity window.
Harkaman
Michael Goffioul
2018-07-17 13:29:55 UTC
The simplest solution is to have the APK targets Nougat API and above. Of
course, that's not gonna happen with Netflix. So, besides removing the
navbar, I don't see any other option.
Michael Goffioul
2018-07-18 04:21:24 UTC
To be honest, I'm not sure it's a bug. The code works as it's supposed to:
activities targeting pre-N are not resizeable, and activities targeting
pre-O have a max aspect ratio of 1.86. The windowmanager uses the screen
height minus the navbar height to determine the available height, and from
there computes the max activity width based on the max aspect ratio. The
"bug" that I had is that even if you use the TV status bar in SystemUI (not
the standard phone one), which doesn't have a navigation bar, the window
manager was still deducing the navbar height using the value set in the
framework resources. I worked around the problem by
setting config_showNavigationBar to false. The window manager was then
using the full height and my 1366x768 screen was again below the max 1.86
aspect ratio.

Another way to fix the problem is to have APK target N and above. I've read
somewhere that Google is going to require new apps and updates to target
recent API in order to be in be in the play store. So even if a bug is
reported, there's a good chance it's gonna be discarded, as it'll become
irrelevant.

I've only tested my Oreo build on a single device. I can't tell whether
it's happening on other devices. Although it seems I'm not the only one
having the problem :).
Post by Michael Goffioul
The simplest solution is to have the APK targets Nougat API and above. Of
course, that's not gonna happen with Netflix. So, besides removing the
navbar, I don't see any other option.
Hi Michael,
Does it happen on other Android Oreo device?
Unfortunately I don't have such a device to test.
Do you think it should be reported as an Android's bug?
Harkaman