Which is the best version of Android-X86 4.0 for generic PC?
Franks Lin
2012-05-26 05:41:48 UTC
I've tried to install the Android-X86 4.0 in my Fujitsu Laptop, I'm one of
most others who does not own a ASUS OR AMD BRAZO...
I downloaded the android-x86-4.0-RC1-amd_brazos.iso<http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.0-RC1-amd_brazos.iso&can=2&q=>
, android-x86-4.0-RC1-tegav2.iso<http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.0-RC1-tegav2.iso&can=2&q=>
and android-x86-4.0-RC1-eeepc.iso<http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.0-RC1-eeepc.iso&can=2&q=>,
I can run the Live CD and install the AMD version but failed to use
keyboard and sound. In the other hand I've tried to enter the Atom's
version but it showed that"Unfortunately, System UI has stopped. " It made
me confuse. Which version should I choose? The ASUS and Eee PC's also said
"This is not an ASUS product".
What can I do? Does anyone occurs the same situation as me? Why do the
developers create a version for other PC's? Please help me, I'm a starter
and a newbie for Android-X86....

PS: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370
Xcell
2012-05-27 08:24:57 UTC
Try generic or nightly builds
http://android-x86.moonman.dk/

PS: I'm newbie too :)
EJE
2012-05-27 03:01:41 UTC
I have a related question. I did get the Android generic running all
the way back at 2.2 in VirtualBox, but that is very, very dated at
this point. I find the Android Emulator terribly lacking. I do have a
need for Android development without the benefit of the actual
hardware, and possibly across platforms, so VirtualBox is a great
approach.

FL, you could probably get the old generic image to work, but granted,
it would be a bit step backwards. :(
hy song
Nick
2012-06-14 13:28:15 UTC
Am I mistaken, or is the generic image only for Android 2.2? In that case,
while it may be generic, it may also be a little dated for Frank's pruposes.

Is my assumption correct that there are no plans to make a generic ICS iso?
dscm
Sam Hebditch
2012-06-14 14:02:14 UTC
While the asus version gives you a message that claims the device is not an
ASUS device (Which is true in your case). It'll work fine, and shouldn't
have any issues when using it. The asus_laptop build generally has good
computability at least in my case.
Nick
2012-06-14 18:37:40 UTC
The ASUS build works fairly well for me.

I just got the sound working this afternoon. I had to use the ALSA driver
and ICH AC97 controller, then I needed to run a command (alsa_ctl init)
from the console. It is a little choppy sounding at first, but it seems to
get better as more sound is used.

However, YouTube and Music both crash upon opening. I haven't started to
debug them yet.

@dscm, thanks for the link to the updated builds! Once I get a torrent
client, I can test out the generic one!
MR4Y
2012-06-14 20:49:13 UTC
The generic builds from tabletsx86 would work great for me, if they
didn't had issues with my video card (Mobility Radeon 4250). All I see
are graphics teared apart and distorted to the point you can't even
read what's on the screen. Using 'nomodeset' solves the issue, but the
resolution is too low for the screen (800x552. The native resolution
is 1366x768).
Nick
2012-06-15 12:28:19 UTC
MR4Y,
I just started using the generic build yesterday, and it is working great.
In fact, both sound and Ethernet worked without modification, something I
haven't had on any other build. However, YouTube still crashes upon open.
I'd like to debug this myself, but I'm not entirely sure where to begin.
I've heard some about "logcat", but I've never used it. I can Google fairly
well, so if some can tell what I need to do to find the problem, then I can
start looking for a solution. As it is right now, I open the YouTube app,
it starts to load then I get an error that says, "Unfortunately, YouTube
has stopped."
Also, what is 'nomodeset' and how do I use it, maybe that will help me?
Thanks. I'm looking forward to becoming a productive member of this
community!
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
pruposes.
Is my assumption correct that there are no plans to make a generic
ICS
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
iso?
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
Post by hy song
Post by Franks Lin
and a newbie for Android-X86....
PS: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370
Groups
Post by Nick
Post by Sam Hebditch
Post by Nick
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/gpZTpADlNYkJ.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.
MR4Y
2012-06-15 18:12:37 UTC
Nick, the 'nomodeset' command is related to the video. By using it, you say
to the boot sequence to let X(the GUI interface for the launcher, which is
the Desktop Enviroment) decide what videos modes it should use instead of
letting the kernel do it. That's a known problem. I've never had a YouTube
app crash, but it'll not load HD or HQ videos, because Android uses
hardware acceleration for that. You might try to see if it works for you.
Nick
2012-06-18 12:25:53 UTC
Hmm well this is interesting. The YouTube app only crashes when the app's
"Home" tab is loading. On a particular boot, my DNS was not set. When I
opened YouTube it did not crash, but instead just gave me an error saying
it had no connection. I went to the "Browse" tab, then hit Alt+F1 to get a
console. I setup DNS (setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8) adn returned to the GUI.
YouTube's Browse tab worked fine after that, I could search for and watch
videos with no problem. Then I went to YouTube's Home tab and the app
immediately crashed. So it seems that the problem lies with what the app
is doing when it is loading content onto its Home tab.

I'd like to figure out a resolution for this problem, but I'm not sure
where to start. I was hoping that there would be some logs I could check
to see if there was more informaton than what the YouTube app provides
("Unfortunately, YouTube has stopped"). Anyone know some plaes I can check?

Also, at this point, my discussion here seems to be digressing from the
topic's intent. Would it be best to make a new thread for this?

Thanks
Ralf ranfyy
2012-06-18 12:45:00 UTC
Post by Nick
[...]
Nick
2012-06-18 13:57:26 UTC
Thanks, aLogCat is amazing.

I have been looking over these entries (filtered the logs by "youtube"),
but so far nothing is screaming "broken!" to me: To not clutter up this
post, I wrote up a little summary that can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/somedebugginandroidx86/home/youtube-crashing

In case it is not obvious, I'm new to this aspect of debugging, and was
hoping someone more familiar with Android debugging would see something
important in here.
Ralf ranfyy
2012-06-18 16:13:13 UTC
Post by Nick
Hmm well this is interesting. The YouTube app only crashes when the app's
"Home" tab is loading. On a particular boot, my DNS was not set. When I
opened YouTube it did not crash, but instead just gave me an error saying
it had no connection. I went to the "Browse" tab, then hit Alt+F1 to get a
console. I setup DNS (setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8) adn returned to the GUI.
Don't you have to set it twice (also for eth0)?
setprop eth0.dns1 8.8.8.8

Post by Nick
videos with no problem. Then I went to YouTube's Home tab and the app
immediately crashed. So it seems that the problem lies with what the app
is doing when it is loading content onto its Home tab.
I'd also try deleting cache and data under Settings / Apps.
Nick
2012-06-18 16:44:43 UTC
Post by Ralf ranfyy
Post by Nick
Hmm well this is interesting. The YouTube app only crashes when the
app's "Home" tab is loading. On a particular boot, my DNS was not set.
When I opened YouTube it did not crash, but instead just gave me an error
saying it had no connection. I went to the "Browse" tab, then hit Alt+F1
to get a console. I setup DNS (setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8) adn returned to
the GUI.
Don't you have to set it twice (also for eth0)?
setprop eth0.dns1 8.8.8.8
Nope, sometimes the ethernet works without doing anything. At most I need
to execute two commands:

netcfg eth0 dhcp
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

I could try the other command as well, but I haven't had any networking
issues after the above two. In fact, most often the Ethernet is working
without having to use either command. I guess I got lucky that it wasn't
working the one time and I was able to learn a little about when the
YouTube app crashes.
Post by Ralf ranfyy
Post by Nick
YouTube's Browse tab worked fine after that, I could search for and watch
videos with no problem. Then I went to YouTube's Home tab and the app
immediately crashed. So it seems that the problem lies with what the app
is doing when it is loading content onto its Home tab.
I'd also try deleting cache and data under Settings / Apps.
Just cleared all data (cache included) for the app. Unfortunately, it
didn't help. Nothing new in logcat afterwards either.