Hardware acceleration
disik
2018-03-26 06:25:17 UTC
Hello developers,
as I can see on my Intel-based tablet, hardware video decoding is still not
implemented. I see an effort was made towards ffmpeg, but it's still
all-software.
I understand that you have a lot of work to do and that thing above is not
a priority. So could you please give me a hint, what libs should I put to
what place of the source tree and what configuration options to change.
Then I can test it in any way.
The same question is for the UI, which slides are not as smooth as they
could be.
Thanks.
disik
2018-03-26 07:41:37 UTC
CPU: Apollo lake N3450GPU: Intel HD graphics 500
Hardware video decoding has been implemented
in 7.1-r1 via ffmpeg vaapi module.
What's your CPU and GPU exactly?
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
'Florian E' via Android-x86
2018-03-26 08:13:56 UTC
How do you know it's not hw decoded?
Did you look at your cpu usage with top?
Are you on nougat or orea - as mentioned above only in 7.1 is hw decoding
working well

I've a N3350 and hw decoding works just fine.
disik
2018-03-27 17:31:42 UTC
I test it with Youtube.
Playing 480p video takes 33% CPU of "com.google.android.youtube" and 20% of
"media.codec mediacodec".
Playing 720p60 video takes over 55% CPU of "com.google.android.youtube" and
over 42% of "media.codec mediacodec".
Playing 1080p video takes over 50% CPU of "com.google.android.youtube" and
over 25% of "media.codec mediacodec".
I assume offloading to GPU should look somewhat different?
Post by disik
can test it in any way.
The same question is for the UI, which slides are not as smooth as
they
Post by disik
could be.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
'Florian E' via Android-x86
2018-03-28 05:55:47 UTC
Those values seem absolutely normal.
Try MXPlayer/VLC/ijkplayer and set decoding to SW, you'll see the
difference.
Post by disik
can test it in any way.
The same question is for the UI, which slides are not as smooth as
they
Post by disik
could be.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
disik
2018-03-28 19:27:20 UTC
Well now I'm confused. Just have made a test with MX Player.
A sample 1080p video with software decoding consumes 78% of CPU by
"com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad".
The same sample with hardware decoding consumes 30% of CPU by "mediaserver"
and 20% of CPU "media.codec mediacodec".
That tells that different techniques were used indeed.
Now I test a 1080p60 sample. With hardware decoding it consumes 24% of CPU
by "mediaserver" and 49% of CPU "media.codec mediacodec", and it heavily
skips frames, visually it shows less than 10 FPS.
Then I switch to software decoding and the video runs smoothly,
"com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad" taking 190% of CPU (of 400% total).
I expected that hardware decoder should perform better than software one.
Maybe something should be fixed?
Post by disik
can test it in any way.
The same question is for the UI, which slides are not as smooth as
they
Post by disik
could be.
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Antony Stone
2018-03-28 19:39:51 UTC
Post by disik
Well now I'm confused. Just have made a test with MX Player.
A sample 1080p video
Which codec?
Post by disik
With hardware decoding it consumes 24% of CPU by "mediaserver" and 49% of
CPU "media.codec mediacodec", and it heavily skips frames, visually it shows
less than 10 FPS.
Then I switch to software decoding and the video runs smoothly,
"com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad" taking 190% of CPU (of 400% total).
I expected that hardware decoder should perform better than software one.
Maybe something should be fixed?
Maybe your hardware decoder doesn't support the codec used in the second
sample.

Antony.
--
If I needed my own advice, I wouldn't give it to others.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.
disik
2018-03-29 06:45:50 UTC
The sample videos were taken here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Sample_files file
numbers 3.4 and 3.9.
mkvinfo reports that the same encodings were used on those samples:
| + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
| + Default duration: 40.000ms (25.000 frames/fields per second for a
video track)
| + Video track
| + Pixel width: 1920
| + Pixel height: 1080
| + Display width: 1920
| + Display height: 1080
| + CodecPrivate, length 59 (h.264 profile: High @L4.1)

| + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
| + Default duration: 16.667ms (60.000 frames/fields per second for a
video track)
| + Video track
| + Pixel width: 1920
| + Pixel height: 1080
| + Display width: 1920
| + Display height: 1080
| + CodecPrivate, length 48 (h.264 profile: High @L4.2)

More to say, this page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics which gets info
from
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/pentium-celeron-n-series-j-series-datasheet-vol-1.pdf
says N3450 is capable of hardware decoding of H.264 CBP, MP, HP L5.2 up to
1080p240, 4kx2kp60.
Kitsune
2018-04-01 19:02:37 UTC
Yes. On Bay trail also hw decoding not work, i'm wrote about it. It need fix
Kitsune
2018-04-01 19:06:18 UTC
Seems this problem is on all atom devices, on android x86
Kitsune
2018-04-02 07:17:33 UTC
I'm early wrote about it, but again write. On my tablet is atom Z3745.

How did you confirm it doesn't work?

1. If in MX Player i'm play video 1080x1920 (h264, mp4), high CPU load,
frequency 1.87 GHz on all cores and 50-60% load. HW, HW+ decoder - no
differences. In YouTube app, and other videoplayers - the same. With use SW
decoder CPU load above, 80-85%. It seems right? But, high CPU load HW
decoder, and see below.

2. If play 1080x1920 60 FPS (and other 1440x2560, 2160x3840) i'm not see 60
FPS, maximum 40, i'm see frame loss. CPU load 100% all time (HW+, SW). In
Windows 10 i'm can play 2160x3840 60 FPS and cpu load ~10%.

3.
s=0xf64a2c00 ist=0xf64a5f00 pix_fmts=53
Hmm, this is in logcat, but why SoftFFmpegVideo write? And why high CPU
load 50%? Why i'm can't play 60fps video, and more than 1080p quality? If
using HW decoding in Windows CPU load is very small ~5-10%

4. In logcat, spam SoftFFmpegVideo for every frame, it mean Software
Decoder using?

D SoftFFmpegVideo: drainOneOutputBuffer: frame_width=1920 frame_height=1080 buffer_width=1920 buffer_height=1080 ctx_width=1920 ctx_height=1080 mIsAdaptive=0
D SoftFFmpegVideo: drainOneOutputBuffer: frame_width=1920 frame_height=1080 buffer_width=1920 buffer_height=1080 ctx_width=1920 ctx_height=1080 mIsAdaptive=0

D SoftFFmpegVideo: drainOneOutputBuffer: frame_width=1920 frame_height=1080 buffer_width=1920 buffer_height=1080 ctx_width=1920 ctx_height=1080 mIsAdaptive=0

пПМеЎельМОк, 2 апреля 2018 г., 5:11:51 UTC+3 пПльзПватель Chih-Wei Huang
Post by Kitsune
Seems this problem is on all atom devices, on android x86
Hardware decoding works on all Baytrail and Cherrytrail
devices I have. Actually Baytrail (T100) is one of the first
device I developed and tested it.
How did you confirm it doesn't work?
In doubt, check if you have
s=0xf64a2c00 ist=0xf64a5f00 pix_fmts=53
Post by Kitsune
вПскресеМье, 1 апреля 2018 г., 22:02:37 UTC+3 пПльзПватель Kitsune
Post by Kitsune
Yes. On Bay trail also hw decoding not work, i'm wrote about it. It
need
Post by Kitsune
Post by Kitsune
fix
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
Kitsune
2018-04-02 07:21:56 UTC
P.S.
5. I'm try on amd gpu in notebook, there HW work, and logcat not be this
messages:

Kitsune
2018-04-02 08:00:24 UTC
You can turn off HW decoding to see the difference.
Bartrail even can't play 1080p 30FPS with SW codec.
No problem with 1080p 30fps and SW. I'm wrote if use SW decoder CPU load
above, 80-85%. Problem with 1080p 60fps and above on SW and HW decoder, it
really fix?
Kitsune
2018-04-02 08:02:32 UTC
Now i'm try Youtube app 1080p 60fps. CPU load ~50% and frame loss
disik
2018-04-06 19:52:33 UTC
My tests show that HW decoder has only 15%-20% CPU usage improvement over
SW decoding on Apollo Lake.
I can understand that developers may have no time for this issue, then I
can try something myself, just show me where to dig? Maybe i915 module
should be updated? ffmpeg or libva or anything should somehow be
fine-tuned? Where and how and what should I change and test?
Post by Kitsune
Windows 10 i'm can play 2160x3840 60 FPS and cpu load ~10%.
You can turn off HW decoding to see the difference.
Bartrail even can't play 1080p 30FPS with SW codec.
The CPU load is still high because the limitation
of our graphic stack.
See the discussion in android-x86-devel.
Post by Kitsune
3.
Post by Kitsune
s=0xf64a2c00 ist=0xf64a5f00 pix_fmts=53
That means HW codec is using.
Post by Kitsune
HW decoding in Windows CPU load is very small ~5-10%
4. In logcat, spam SoftFFmpegVideo for every frame, it mean Software
Decoder
Post by Kitsune
using?
No. It just means ffmpeg plugin (with vaapi) is using.
Post by Kitsune
buffer_width=1920 buffer_height=1080 ctx_width=1920 ctx_height=1080
mIsAdaptive=0
P.S.
5. I'm try on amd gpu in notebook, there HW work, and logcat not be this
Only Intel CPU/GPU supports HW accelerated decoding
at this moment.
Kitsune
2018-04-14 19:02:17 UTC
It interesting. In sources i'm see hwcomposer https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/external-drm_hwcomposer/tree/nougat-x86/ What problem? Is link for discussion about it?
I have said that's due to the limitation of our graphic stack. To solve that, you need to implement a real hwcomposer.
Search related discussion in mesa-dev and android-x86-devel lists.
Post by Kitsune
How did you confirm it doesn't work?
1. If in MX Player i'm play video 1080x1920 (h264, mp4), high CPU load,
frequency 1.87 GHz on all cores and 50-60% load. HW, HW+ decoder - no
differences. In YouTube app, and other videoplayers - the same. With use SW
decoder CPU load above, 80-85%. It seems right? But, high CPU load HW
decoder, and see below.
2. If play 1080x1920 60 FPS (and other 1440x2560, 2160x3840) i'm not see 60
FPS, maximum 40, i'm see frame loss. CPU load 100% all time (HW+, SW). In
Windows 10 i'm can play 2160x3840 60 FPS and cpu load ~10%.
You can turn off HW decoding to see the difference.
Bartrail even can't play 1080p 30FPS with SW codec.
The CPU load is still high because the limitation
of our graphic stack.
See the discussion in android-x86-devel.
Post by Kitsune
3.
Mauro Rossi
2018-04-15 14:23:59 UTC
Post by Kitsune
Post by Kitsune
It interesting. In sources i'm see hwcomposer
https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/external-drm_hwcomposer/tree/nougat-x86/
What problem? Is link for discussion about it?
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2017-September/153580.html
There is no much progress since then.
Some additional info on testing progress for drm_hwcomposer (HWC1) +
gbm_gralloc
Logs for oreo-x86 are here: (for nougat-x86 they are quite similar, anyway):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19ZcRi0cXJe8oosKdkioKFQf1WMRNExJA

i965 status:

Bootanimation starts and sometime completes but when top/bottom bars appear
SurfaceFlinger dies.

nouveau status:

With appropriate grub kernel parameter or forcing atomic in the kernel
and a necessary patch in drm_hwcomposer to check active drm connector it
is possible to boot nougat-x86 and oreo-x86,
but drm_hwcomposer is just not ready "to hwcompose", cursor has artifacts,
the GUI is unstable and bootanimation restarts often and sevaral times GPU
freezes

amdgpu status:

AMD DC required to support atomic (kernel 4.15 or later required)
Bonaire (GCN 2nd gen) or later required
For some unknown reason mode setting is not working, instead of graphic
mode I get a cursor at top left of screen.
The funny thing is that boot is completed and launcher can be selected, but
there is a wrong mode shown on the display and so it's not usable.

Mauro
Mauro Rossi
2018-09-12 20:36:18 UTC
Hi Kitsune,
if you are still interested in seeing if hw decoding of h264 works better with drm_hwcomposer,
there are experimental hwc1 iso linked in the RGBA ISOs beta test thread and hwc1 is enabled also for Intel ( working with intel drivers supporting RGBA pixel format in drm primary planes. Skylake supports that.
Mauro
Faheem Ahmad
Antony Stone
2018-09-13 06:43:05 UTC
unsub
Doesn't work like that.

See the footers of any email on the list (quoted below, for example).

Antony.
Post by Mauro Rossi
Hi Kitsune,
if you are still interested in seeing if hw decoding of h264 works better
with drm_hwcomposer,
there are experimental hwc1 iso linked in the RGBA ISOs beta test thread
and hwc1 is enabled also for Intel ( working with intel drivers
supporting RGBA pixel format in drm primary planes. Skylake supports
that.
Mauro
I wasn't sure about having a beard at first, but then it grew on me.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.